“Very friendly hotel”

Hotel dei Macchiaioli
Ranked #52 of 422 Hotels in Florence
“Very friendly hotel”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location was excellent right in the heart of Florence close to the amazing cathedral and other treasures of the city.
The staff was friendly and helpful and made us feel like family.
The breakfast in the Tuscan style room w. all the paintings and old charm was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Hotel dei Macchiaioli was wonderful. They made museum reservations for us at no charge prior to our visit. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Breakfast (included) was excellent and in a nice large comfortable room. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pdkgolf
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Hotel dei Macchiaioli is managed by the same people as the Academia - whose website messed up our reservations made last January. I was pretty panicked when I e-mailed to confirm and discovered there were no reservations. However, they referred us to this site/ Since our adult daughter was traveling with us - I had originally booked two rooms at the Academia - the Hotel dei Macchiaioli could only offer us a triple room. However - it was large enough for 3 adults with luggage and sleeping arrangements.

The bathroom was lovely - very modern and updated. The hotel appears to have been a remodeled exquisite palazzo in a prior life. The ceilings are fabulous and the mirrors and wallcoverings give a truly luxurious feeling.

The breakfast was a wonderful continental and the breakfast room, itself, was a real experience. The location was close to the Accademia (museum) and right up the street from the Palazazzo Medici.

I'm very grateful that the staff found us the triple room on such short notice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed October 21, 2013

beautiful marble steps to get to second floor where hotel is. No elevator but a chair lift is available.
very nice and helpful staff and wonderful included breakfast. dining room ceiling paintings are beautiful and our rooms over looked the street. noise was not a problem.

Room Tip: we stayed in the family suite, 2 rooms and 2 baths. baths are clean and new but a little cramped. co...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Positive: Overall the hotel is nice, clean and comfortable with very nice staff. However I have an issue with the additional services. Bottom line is make sure you know what you are getting and reconfirm a day before as I did not and I was extremely dissatisfied with my tour, I felt I wasted my money.

Background:
When I booked at Hotel Dei Macchiaioli I received an email regarding "Special October Rates" for hotel guests for walking and driving tours. I confirmed a trip with Marco for a tour of Tuscany via email. He said he was flexible and we agreed through email on 11:30 to 5:00 (5.5 hours) trip to winery/lunch, winery visit and visit to San Gimignano.

A couple of reasons for my dissatisfaction:
1. We believe Marco forgot as he did not show up with our confirmed time at 11:30. Upon checking in I told reception we had a tour the next day, they said if you confirmed with Marco he should know. Starting at 11:30, the hotel had to call him a couple of times while they kept saying 10 more minutes. About 20 minutes into it we were told he had trouble with his car. 45 minutes waiting in the hotel another driver shows up. If we had trouble with his car he should have called the hotel to tell us, instead we had to call him asking where he was. His actions pointed to he forgot that he had a reservation.

2. The new driver tells us we have 4 hours exactly, which I told him we confirmed more -- he also said he was not sure if we could go to any wineries as we did not have reservations - he would have to call. So, what is Marco's service/itinerary that I confirmed? We did go to one winery with lunch (which was nice) and a very short visit to a town, we had time to walk quickly through it.

3. While driving, the driver said he called his boss and we have 4 hours - I asked him who he worked for and he would not tell me. If there is nothing wrong with this - why not say.

For the reasons above I feel I did not receive the service I asked for and the "additional services" were not as advertised. If I were to do it over, I would probably go with a tour suggested by Rick Steves, Tours by Roberto, or one of the very less expensive tours listed in the brochures in the hotel lobby. Granted with these tours you are with a group of eight people in a mini-van verses a private tour but the intineraries are set and explained. I think Marco is probably better for when you know where you want to go exactly and you need to spell it out for Marco and come with a printed copy and double-triple confirm.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue W
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Six of us had three rooms at the Hotel dei Macchiaioli for four wonderful days in Oct 2013. The staff was great, the service was wonderful and best of all was Paulo, our guide for the Accademia and Uffizi. His knowledge of all the works of art in both of those museums was incredible! He works at the hotel in addition to being a private tour guide; you can book him through the hotel-be sure to reserve your tickets through him in advance!

Room Tip: We had three rooms an all were good.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent a week at Hotel die Macchiaioli in September 2013 and the warm hospitality we experienced there was one of the highlights of our trip to Florence. Our corner room at the back of the building was lovely - spacious, light, quiet and very comfortable. The location is ideal - a 5 minute walk north of the Duomo, very easy walking distance to all attractions, but a bit away from the bustle surrounding the major tourist sights. It was easy to go sightseeing in the morning, stop back at the hotel for an afternoon break and head out again for more sightseeing. We enjoyed the breakfasts. What really makes this hotel stand out, is the staff. They were courteous, friendly and very helpful. They provided excellent recommendations on restaurants and assisted with questions about train travel. Paolo shared some fascinating details of the history of the Uffizi and surrounding area and told us about the Egyptian chariot at the Archaeology Museum (a sight we would have missed otherwise). We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple