Let me start out by saying that this hotel is truly unique; it was a palace from the 1800's that has been converted into a hotel, with a different hotel and cafe occupying different spaces in the same building. The architecture is still the original, and I find this to be so special and fascinating. Where else can you stay in a real palace?!
1. The staff is accommodating in every way possible. When checking in, the receptionist gave us a map and marked where we are and where all the attractions are and what is definitely not to be missed. She explained all the details like when and where breakfast is served (which is automatically included in the room price), and she personally walked us to our room. Paolo was also incredibly wonderful. He was always there to help with a smile on his face. He is also the tour guide that you can book through reception, and I have no doubt that he knows the city inside and out. Also met the hotel owner and her daughter, and both ladies were sweet as well and working hard every morning.
2. Breakfast had a lovely assortment of items. Pastries, cereals, fresh fruits, deli meat and cheeses, breads, juices, a machine that prepares espresso, cappucino, hot chocolate, coffee, hot water for Twinings teas, etc. There is really something for everybody, and the breakfast room is like dining in a muesuem- the painted ceiling is magnificent!
3. Despite the building's history, the entire place has been renovated so it is actually a very lovely and comfortable place to stay. The rooms are spacious, especially compared to European standards, and the bathroom is very nice quality as well. Everything was extremely clean, which is one of my most important deciding factors when booking a hotel. The towels and bed linens were very nice quality, and there are even slippers provided for you!
4. Location was as good as it gets. The hotel is literally minutes away (by foot) to the Duomo, Uffizi, Academia, Cathedral, Gucci Museum, and Santa Maria Novella train station (where you can take a bus, which departs every 30 minutes, to and from the airport for €6 one way or €10 return trip). We never had to spend any money on public transportation within Florence because everything was within walking distance, and it was very convenient for us to stop by the hotel to rest, escape from the rain, or drop off our shopping bags.
5. An added bonus was the customer service we received. I already described the wonderful staff, but I was surprised to receive a personal email thanking us for our stay. It's rare to find such wonderful personalized service nowadays. We were even offered a 5% discount for all of our future bookings, and this is even offered to any friends of ours who would like to visit too!
6. Price. What a bargain! We paid about €70 per night for a double room, and that includes breakfast. This hotel is worth double that amount for such a great location and staff.
We'll definitely be returning, and I highly suggest you give this place a try. You won't be disappointed! This is a great spot for couples, families, singles, or groups!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel dei Macchiaioli is a brand new 3 star hotel located in Florence's beautiful historical centre, the perfect choice for those looking to spend a holiday in the very heart of the city known as the cradle of the Renaissance. The hotel is situated in the historic Palazzo Morrocchi, centrally located on via Cavour, one of the city's most prestigious streets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Hotel dei Macchiaioli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.