“Second time and it was even better than the first time.”

Hotel Mulino di Firenze
Ranked #28 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Hamme, Belgium
“Second time and it was even better than the first time.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

A quiet and romantic hotel not far from Firenze and the city is easily accessible with the hotel shuttle. You can leave your car safely in the nice garage.
The complete hotel is very clean.
I loved the simming pool after a hot day in the city.
Restaurant (breakfast and dinner) is brilliant especially when the weather is nice then you can eat outside next to the Arno river.
The staff is world class. They really provide warmth and coziness and deliver a professional and pleasant service. Thanks Aldo!
Hotel Mulino, thanks again for the wonderful 3 days.
See you next year :-)

Room Tip: kamers op de hogere verdiepingen hebben een mooier uitzicht op het zwembad of de Arno.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is an eccentrically different hotel that is a great place to stay. We used it as a base to explore parts of Florence and found it an absolutely delightful home base. Great accommodation with friendly and gracious staff, good service and good eating available. We enjoyed our breakfasts on the terrace and a couple of dinners too. It was our first stop on this visit to Italy and we simply couldn't have wished for a more comfortable place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 36Rodox
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is a difficult review to write. There were some things that we loved about the hotel, but overall it is far too inconsistent and a bad value -- and the swimming pool will likely the site of a terrible accident sometime in in the near future.

The restaurant and staff is top notch, the bar man is a fine gentleman, housekeeping is filled with lovely ladies who do great work, and the location on the river is exceptional -- especially for those able to drive into town. The small little village nearby is also a real treat -- the pizza restaurant is very pleasant walk. The hotel, in general, is pretty in a rustic Tuscan way. However, while we loved some things, for more than $500 a night for a family room, we expected much more. Some of things we disliked ranged from simply gross to incredibly dangerous!

The air conditioning is rather useless, the bathroom is nice but it needs better curtains, the bus service into Florence is a joke since it stops FAR too early every evening to have any value, the internet access from the rooms is terrible, and the swimming pool is a real danger for anyone under the age of about 14. When I mentioned my concerns about the pool to the manager, he got more than just defensive. In fact, he got very angry (and quickly turned into a bit of a bully, IMHO) that I would dare question his expertise and think the pool was unsafe. (LOL... but such defensiveness seems to be a bit of a management theme here. Just read every negative review here to see how the problem always seems to be with the customers and with him or his hotel.) I do fully understand that this is a 500+ year old water mill that was converted into a hotel and the pool is the old moat repurposed for the 21st century. I get it! However, when something is advertised as a lifeguard-free pool appropriate for kids, then it should be as such. This pool is simply not safe for kids. Perhaps Italian kids are different than American kids? (I doubt it!) But during our week here, I witnessed just about every kid in the pool exploring the nooks and crannies... and I saw mine and others have problems that could have gotten dangerously ugly or far worse. So, if you have kids in the pool, I strongly suggest you supervise them and don't wander away to the bar even for a second. I also suggest that a lifegard be on duty 8 hours a day in June, July, and August. Mark my words, it is only a matter of time until one or more kids drown in this death trap of a swimming pool. When that happens, it won't matter how defensive the manager gets when his swimming moat is questioned.

I also found the little bugs flying into our room at night (because the windows had to be left open since the A/C did not work properly). I am sure these come from the river... but the issue should be solved and the A/C should be fixed anyway. (But the bugs went into the pool also, and thankfully our daughter found them "gross" in her hair, so she decided against swimming after the 2nd day there.) In general, for over $500 US a night we expected a 5-star hotel. Anyone who thinks this place is 5 star have never stayed at a real 5 star resort. This is actually more of a 3-star place, but the pool made us mark it down accordingly... future death will do that!

I notice two trends from the people who rate this hotel a 5. Most do not have kids, and most do not swim in the pool. Perhaps this is the perfect place for senior citizens and 30-somethings are just not the demographics the hotel caters to?

For what it's worth, I also left with the belief that hotel management and the desk staff dislikes Americans (and Canadians, Brits, Australians, etc.) greatly... so my suggestion is that we all take our US dollars (and Euros, Pounds, Canadian $, and Australian $, etc.) elsewhere in the future. I know I will.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank AFriendinNYC
mulinofirenze, Direttore generale at Hotel Mulino di Firenze, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am very very upset to read your comments which are trying to destroy completely the reputation we have created in years of work.

You say it was a difficult reviews to write but it'smore than difficult for me to answer polite to comments which I found someway incredible. Its constantly write the word 'death' I think it is highly unfair and at the limit of reporting for defamation, which we did in Tripadvisor.

Anyway I would like to reply to each point:
- The most unfair and bad sentence written by you is the fact that we would not like customers who speaks English. Sorry to disappoint you but the majority of our customers and to our good fortune think in the opposite way to you. I personally have worked for years for an American company and my staff is absolutely fair to all nationalities. Please do not put strange ideas that are merely the result of your deduction. You are mistaken.
- Then I am sorry to contradict you but you NEVER (and I remember well) spoke with you. You may have confused the person you spoke with but was certenly not me.
- The bug you are reporting are called 'ant with wings' in Italy and come from the river. Nothing dangerous and nothing 'dirty' as your reports claim.
- The shuttle service has CLEARLY timetable from the website on. We do advertise the service for what it is. We have no service after 7.30 pm. And it's free of charge during the day.
- Then let's talk seriusly of the swimming pool which you consider extremely dangerous...Well it's all 1,20 meter high...Do you think that's dangerous ? Your comments are simply unaccettable and I don't want to argue in that. Other clients are doing a good work for us.
- Finally please remember we have 4 stars and not 5.

My final and personal consideration of your comments if I may...
I have other reviews you have written and I have noticed you like 'American Style' hotels like the Mulino Stucky in Venice (Hilton style). Well, the Mulino di Firenze is far away from that style and does not want to be similar in any way, and, I'm sorry for you, Americans love that.

You have my name and you can write to me in private if you wish to continue the conversation.

Best regards

Giancarlo Carniani
g.carniani@toflorence.it
SF Bay Area
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It is a beautifully restored old mill along the Arno River, about two miles south of Florence with 37 rooms and an imaculate pool I judged to be about 25 meters long and 3-4 feet deep. Every member of the staff was terrific - helpful, gracious, wonderful. Our room was large enough with a small window overlooking the pool and river and with a full bath and jacuzi tub. The main part of the small building had an array of small spaces partially separated by brick arches. The breakfasts were elaborate with terrific espresso drinks. We ended up eating dinner in the restaurant terrace five nights, sampling many of the menu items. Everything we ate was perfectly prepared. Old as we are, we found it to be a very romantic place.

It was a great place for us in the summer as it is hot in Florence and I enjoy swimming, and the hotel and area is very quiet and a good respite from the chaos of thousands of turists in the center of the city. There were several families with kids and several young couples on honeymoon or get-aways, enjoying the lounges near the pool. The hotel had a free shuttle into Florence each day. The hotel also had free bicycles for use anda bike trail to Florence was just down the road a few hundred meters.

It is a quiet place, and the shuttle runs only until 7:30 pm, so it may not be the best place for folks who want to sample different restaurants in Florence for dinner or who want to enjoy the nightlife of Florence. It is on a very small street so I would advise visitors who are driving to call the hotel for directions. Once one finds one's way, though, it is easy to make the hotel the beginning of day trips through Tuscany as it is just a couple of miles from the A1.

Room Tip: Our room, #3 was on the courtyard overlooking the pool and river in a one story portion of the build...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This venue on the river just outside Florence combines genuine history with modern service. The water wheel still turns in the pool. Great original building with modern features. The bar features glass panels to the old cellars below. Restaurant offers original wooden ceiling or outdoor terrace overlooking the river.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Unbelievable - the staff, scenery, food, etc... - I will NEVER stay in another hotel while visiting Florence! The distance from Florence and the tourist attractions, Duomo, etc... make this hotel a great choice for both enjoying Tuscany and Florence. Although, we stayed at several 5 star hoteld during our 5 country visit to Europe - our favorite hotel was Mulino di Firenze without a doubt...ready for next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple