“Great food, could improve on service”
Review of Buddakan

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Description: www.buddakan.it
Florence, Italy
“Great food, could improve on service”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I've been here twice. The first time, about a year ago, was a pleasant surprise. The food choice was excellent and, even though the restaurant was packed, the service was quick and courteous. I ordered all Korean food and it was very tasty. So, I had no problems coming back a second time. The excellent menu is still there and the food is still wonderful. I ordered all Thai this time and loved it.
However, I don't know what happened, but the service was extremely slow and the food didn't come out at the same time for all members at our table. And, the place was empty to boot! I did notice that it now caters to large groups of Asian tourists which is a shame since a) I'm sure they could get a better meal at home and b) I think it lowers their standards. I hardly ever eat in the center anymore since most places take the lazy route and cater to groups. I suppose they can't just rely on locals filling them up, but it would be nice if they could balance the quality with quantity.
I still think their food is excellent and I might have just been in on an off night, so I will definitely be back again. Especially since florence is lacking so many ethnic places. Not too many places to find Thai or Korean food around here!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Nina P

• Korean first
Florence, Toscana, Italy
“Not fantastic, but not awful either”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Having been there a couple of times and tried most of the dishes on the menu, I can conclude that their curries (all of them) are good. The other dishes, such as stir fry, noodles and fried rice are not so good. Stay away from the soups though, all of them are not edible.

This restaurant might be able to survive here in Florence as competition is loose here for Asian food. Coming from Singapore, which is a food heaven for fusion and asian food, I'll give this restaurant 3 stars just for being in Florence. If this restaurant is in Singapore, I would give it 1 star.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Erna M
fotheringay
“Average in every way”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This restaurant is a typical case of what the Italians call "neither meat nor fish", i.e. neither one thing nor the other. I've had much better Japanese food at Yaguro (Florence), much better Chinese food just about everywhere, and much better Thai food in many London restaurants. They'd be better off sticking to one or the other - they're into "fusion" but the "fused" result is a fairly flavourless disappointment. And as one other reviewer noted, the dishes appear in dribs and drabs with long intervals (more like 10 minutes than 2) between each. There were seven of us at table and I don't think any two people were ever eating at the same time. I suppose the upside is that that leaves you free to taste the other people's dish(es) while waiting for your own. All in all, I would advise you to invest your euro somewhere else, because it wasn't cheap either (and we were charged for three bottles of wine when we only had two)!!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank dickonfotheringay
Longare, Italy
“Chinese/thai fusion”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A good place to have a really good meal. Conviently located and reasonably priced we really enjoyed buddakan. During the day I scouted the place and it was bustling with lots of happy chinese tourists, a glance at the menu and I knew I was coming back for take out dinner!! I was not disappointed at dinnertime, my pad thai was fresh and perfectly cooked and the spicy thai rice was full of shrimp and egg and seasoned well. I expect I will be back during my next visit.

Visited May 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Mild spice level. True Asian flavors. Attentive service.”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

After eating the wonderful, subtle flavors of Florence and Tuscany, we were ready for some heat. Buddakan used good quality ingredients, but the chef was very shy with the spice level. Ask for it super spicy if you want even a little bit of heat.

• Visited March 2012