“Simple but delicious Tuscan cuisine”

Ristorante il Pennello
Reserve with
Ristorante il Pennello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #393 of 2,850 Restaurants in Florence
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Description: Pennello is located in the very center of the cities and it is known by lawyers, business man and bankers, wich are used to meet there for a fast lunch.The “Osteria Pennello” was founded in the 16th century by the painter Mariotto Albertinelli. Since 1969 the members of two tuscan families (Brogi & Nenciolini) runs the restaurant continuing the tradition of one of the most historic restaurants in Florence. Menù in english, french, deutsche, russian.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I usually select unknown restaurants by gut feeling and with help from the Universe (hardly ever wrong). This one I hadn't chosen simply because a close Fiorentino friend invited us there and he's patronized the place for decades. Service was efficient and speedy though the restaurant was full (Sunday lunch) with locals and tourists. We ordered the customary jug of Chianti (pay only what you drink), mineral water, antipasti were melanzane alla parmigiana (my wife absolutely relished them) and bruschetta (one olio, one pomodori, one fagioli). For main course we ordered porcini alla griglia that almost melted on the tongue, with herbs and oil, so good in fact that the memory still makes my mouth water (and I've just had dinner!). Dessert was profiterolles for my wife and tiramisú for me. My wife enjoyed her dessert and so did I (although no one tops, IMHO, my wife's recipe: she adds real espresso and crème de café). We ordered two espressi which were among the best I've had in Firenze and I had a limoncello at the end of our meal and was starting to feel real mellow. In summary, it was a delightful experience and as regular visitors to Firenze, we're certain to return to Il Pennello.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We were staying at hotel Grand Cavour, just around the corner from this delightful restaurant. The food, atmosphere, authenticity, and prices are hard to beat.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We happened upon il Pennello one afternoon and decided to go for dinner. We were greeted happily and enthusiastically. The waiter was patient and answered our questions. I asked for some different sauce on ravioli and they happily complied. Later, the owner came by to talk with us. They do the vino Della casa very differently. They bring a big jug to the table and charge you for what you drink. Pana cotta was also the best. I highly recommend, we will go back!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We first ate here in 2009 with our guide. It was so good we returned another day. We were therefore excited to return on our recent visit. This time is wasn't busy with locals but only a few tourist. The waiter was extremely rude and the owner never came around and just talked with wait staff and friends. He basically showed no interest. The fried zucchini flowers were delicious and it stopped there. I ordered spaghetti with fresh mushrooms and it tasted like the Top Ramen I ate as a kid and the mushrooms went very good. I couldn't eat it.
There a much better places to eat in Firenze with waiters and owners that care. Go to Trattoria Mario's!

PennelloFlorence, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Ristorante il Pennello, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear KTSV, I'm very sad for your bad new experience of our restaurant but, considering the passed experiences I hope you will give us another opportuny. Anyway we use only fresh sauce prepared in our kichen with fresh elements, like muschrooms. I'm also very surprised of the comment for the service, maybe it would be a very very busy day, and we were not be able to follow all our clients as we always do. Anyway I'm very sorry and I sincerly hope yuo will give us another chance.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at the il Pennello. The house wine was cheap and very good, the food was wonderful, and the wait staff was attentive without being intrusive. The overall cost was moderate for Florence and an excellent value. We'll consider eating here again if we ever make it back to Florence.