“Great View Poor Food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante Alfredo Sull'Arno - CLOSED

Ristorante Alfredo Sull'Arno
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Pitti
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Great View Poor Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The view overlooking the Ponte Vecchio is lovely, the service was good but when we easily got a table when everywhere else was really busy we should have realized why. The starters were mediocre and our main courses were poor. I had salmon in a sauce and it was totally tasteless and full of bones my husbands steak was little better. I'm very sorry to say but this was the only bad meal during our week in Florence. Also considering the quality of the food it was expensive. Sorry as I do so hate posting a negative review.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Bristol, Connecticut
“Great Restaurant even better people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed it so much the first night we made res. for the next night. Everyone treated us like we were old friends. Food was fantastic and I would rec. this restaurant to everyone visiting Florence.

Thanks to all at Alfredos
Cliff and Ann Block

Florida
“Victor made our evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Victor was our server and he was wonderful and attentive. Our view was nice and the food was very good. Our party drank the house wine and it was perfect. We were all very tired and arrived a little before seven so the restaurant was very slow but by the time we left was busy. I had the cheese and spinach stuffed crepes, one the Florentine steak, another a veal dish and two others had risotto with shrimp. No complaints and the sides were equally delish. We loved the cream brulee for dessert. Victor mad us laugh and was so patience with our table. thank you

1 Thank flpab
Florence Italy
“Loved this restaurant on the Arno River”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stopped for an early lunch at Alfredo sull.Arno and had a wonderful meal of pasta, chicken parmagian, dessert, wine and all. Reasonable. Good service and our window seat was a plus as the "roll up window" was open. This is as close to outdoor seating as one could get. Views included the Ponte Vecchio Bridge, Arno River, hills above Florence and on opposite side of River were the Uffizi and San Stefano al Ponte. Servers were relaxed and friendly during a pleasant and leisurely lunch. I would return.

Mt Eliza, Australia
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Based on the mixed bag of reviews, I had put this place on our "Avoid" list for Florence. We are just back at our apartment after Sunday lunch there and, as it's pouring with rain, I thought I'd put finger to keyboard. At about 11.15am on our way back from a morning up at San Miniato al Monte, we walked past this place and thought how well situated it is. However, we kept walking because we were planning on lunch at either of two other places nearby. One was closed and the other was full of "beautiful people" all lining up to look at each other so we went back and made a reservation for 12.00 at Ristorante Alfredo. The chef greeted us warmly and took the reservation suggesting that, at 12.00, we could have the best table in the house. That seemed early by Italian standards but, when we returned from the shops at 12.00, several others were already seated. Sure enough, we were given a great table on the corner facing Ponte Vecchio and looking across the river to the Uffizi and San Stefano al Ponte. All of the waiters were very friendly and, contrary to an earlier review, were all willing and able to converse in English as well as Italian. In fact, at least two of the waiters spoke French as well.
We started with enormous glasses of beer and prosecco and placed our meal order. When I went to order a bottle of wine, the waiter recommended another (his favourite) which happened to be 10 euros cheaper than the one I had intended to order. We took his recommendation and it was one of the best wines we've had in our 11 days so far in Italy.
She started with the antipasto meat platter and I had the braesaola with rocket and parmesan. Both enormous servings but light and most enjoyable. We swapped over halfway through (although the half I got wasn't as much as the half I handed over). These were followed by a sliced steak with balsamic for her and a steak florentine for me. Based on all I had heard about this particular delicacy, I hadn't intended to try it during our week in Florence but the waiter had suggested that I give it a go and it was very good. Very large but tasty and cooked medium to rare (not very rare as many seem to have had it in Florence). We also had a side of fried vegetables which was a perfect accompaniment. Dessert was a creme brulee for her and a panna cotta for me. As the rain had started, we delayed our departure with another glass of prosecco and a beer. All up, 135 euros and very happy with that. A very good meal in a very picturesque setting with very friendly staff and good service. Admittedly, it wasn't as good in all four departments as our lunch at Hotel Splendido at Portofino last Thursday but then it didn't cost us 440 euros either. More on that in a separate review. If the opportunity arises, we would definitely return to Ristorante Alfredo sull'Arno.