“Amazing burgers!!”
Review of Lungarno 23

Lungarno 23
Reserve with
Lungarno 23 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #356 of 2,808 Restaurants in Florence
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Pitti
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Lungarno 23 had been recommended to us and we were not disapponted!

The location - with terrace overlooking the river - was lovely and the food was fresh and delicious (possibly the best burger I've ever eaten).

It was a bit pricey but worth every penny (or euro)!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had dinner here in on June 28, 2013. I was grateful for the fast and very kind response granting us a somewhat last minute Friday night reservation. I was concerned about my son's life-threatening nut and seafood food allergies and was told it was no problem, just to remind our server. We were warmly greeted and seated at a good outdoor table. The quality of the beef is, of course, excellent. I was prepared for the high prices, so not shocked. I unfortunately let the waiter convince me to go with one of the burger specials, which was topped with burrata and impossible to eat without a knife and fork.... And honestly, it was nothing special... Burrata should not be melted on top of a burger that way, all of its subtle flavors were lost. I would have been much happier with a standard burger which still ran in the 15euro range. The fries were wonderful. Our waiter's reaction to my questions regarding ingredients was somewhat frustrated, he seemingly did not want to deal with it which of course left me wondering how diligent he would be. Please understand that I am careful not to be too high maintenance with his food restrictions, I just need to be sure he doesn't die because someone fails to tell the chef about his allergy. I recieved a look of frustration that he had to spend the time to go and check with the chef. We were not asked how we wanted the burgers cooked, and despite his age, they served the burger to my son very rare - my bad, I know it is customary to eat steaks rare in Florence (which we really enjoy), but super rare hamburgers are a different story, I should have asked for medium rare.... But as it crossed my mind to ask, he had already bolted away from the table, he would not look my way and the burgers were delivered by another gentleman. He was busy, for sure, and it looked like they really should have had more help. The atmosphere is chic, hip, and we were the only non-Italians I know of present that night. This is usually exactly how I like it, I don't want to be surrounded by tourists even though I am one....but the impossibility of getting the waiter's attention during our meal and while we waited for our bill was infuriating, I felt embarrassed at how we were treated like we had taken our invisible pill. It was as if our waiter was making a conserted effort not to look my way as he flitted about from table to table to kitchen and back, attending to the needs of the clearly local clients who were seated in close proximity to us. He was not even remotely trying to take care of this American woman dining with her little boy. We asked about dolce, he was frustrated and ended up going in to ask the chef if the gelato was safe for my son to have. No time, energy or interest in understanding that gelato can often be contaminated with nuts. His annoyed facial expression and lame verbal response "it is gelato!" response told me he was figuring that if it was not a flavor obviously containing nuts, then I shouldn't be concerned - which is a clear sign of a poorly trained server. He returned and hurriedly dropped a bowl of 2.5 tiny scoops of vanilla gelato on the table. My son was so disappointed, he doesn't like vanilla, but the waiter never took the time to ask. I ate some of the gelato since I could not get his attention to take it back.... and it was mediocre, I have no idea what we were charged for it, I think 5euro. It took a painfully long time to get him to bring the check after that. Such a shame, I had high hopes after our initial welcome and left feeling like I had blown our last meal in Florence and paid out the nose to be ignored. If you were to look, you would see from my other reviews that I appreciate the cultural differences and know that overly attentive servers are not the way of the land in Italian cities, this was different.

1  Thank srayburn
emanuele c, Amministratore at Lungarno 23, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear costumer,
I reply with pleasure to your extended review on esteemed “Tripadv” and, accordingly to the points you underlined, I would appreciate if you concede me time for clarifications, which I consider to be appropriate. In order to provide a better comprehension, I will explain point by point which – I hope – you will take into consideration.
1. “L.23” staff provides the best attention to our Costumers, with particular care to children, both in allergy case, and by providing pastimes, such as drawing, didactic notebooks, and so forth, to let the children spend time in the restaurant. They can also make use of the little “children library”. For the youngest, in order to help mothers, we provide a “baby corner” where our costumers can find a changing table completely furnished.
2. I affirm that, when it is possible, especially for foreign costumers, like in your case, we try to arrange tables with the sight on “Arno” and “Ponte Vecchio”.
3. As you asserts, the quality of our meat is extremely high, as it is actual “Chianina” certified “IGP”, consequently its original cost is over the standard price. However, it is absolutely appropriate to the quantity of the dish served together with at least two or three fresh and high-quality dish-sides.
4. I hope you understand if I do not agree with your advice as far as the manner by which we cook and match the burrata with one of our hamburgers in the menu of the day. With no false modesty, seen the trade brand “L.23” possesses, I personally think we are not inexperienced. I am extremely sorry if you did not enjoy the dish, but it is a personal taste and it can sometimes happen.
5. I will take into consideration the complaints about the staff. Nevertheless, please take into account that it seems very strange to me – against our interest – that the waiter did not served you properly and with the kindness we always address to our Costumers. By the way, such care and attention are features, which are usually confirmed by our Costumers.
6. I thank you for the great appreciations about the fries, as I confirm they are absolutely daily fresh and fried in a good oil, often changed, accordingly to our perspective of authenticity of our dishes and concern to our Costumers.
7. The fact that the waiter asked the Chef for more detailed information, in consequence of your requests, I can confirm that it is supposed to be so, according to an internal procedure, as the Chef must confirm on such requests concerning allergies and intolerances. This is always in consequence of the proper attention and care we must provide to the Costumer’s requests, and if you let me say, in consequence of accuracy I can definitely be proud of at “L.23”.
8. The carelessness of the waiter in your concerns, about which you complained – if that happened, I can only be extremely sorry – can be caused by a particularly busy evening and the waiter could have been quite slow in serving you. This is not an excuse, but it may be the reason why the service was not so quick and was not as you expected.
9. I am so sorry if your son has been disappointed by the quantity of ice-cream. I can assure you that, according to our habits and to simply request, we add any requests from children without further costs. According to our choice and to the guarantee the quality of what we serve, our ice-cream is from the well-known and old Gelateria “Vivoli” in Florence, which since several ancestries, produces hand-crafted ice-cream – it opened few months ago in New York. As a matter of fact, in order to guarantee a high freshness and quality, we provide only two flavours: chocolate and vanilla (all year long).

I suppose to have replied point by point to your extended review and clarified your complaints. I invite you to pay attention to the excellent reviews posted on “Tripadv.” in the same period you came to “L.23”. This is a confirmation that at “L.23” all our costumers, both Italian and international, receive, as it is supposed to be so, the same attention. This is my personal whish, just like the permanent search of authenticity and freshness of our products, served in our dishes, from the meat to other food.
I hope to welcome you again to “L.23” whenever you will be back in Florence for your next holiday, and I confirm that I am completely at your disposal.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We order 2 kids hamburgers witch is more than we expected plus 2 cheese burger one mex tartar+rostbeef+smoll Hamburger French frais 2 cheese cake 4 coca cola we bay 118 eu. Comparing the qwualety of the food I faownd this cheep price and all mi famely are happy that night defnetly I well be back again to have one of best hamburger in the world

1  Thank Ghanem A
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We happened to stroll past this place and thought it looked nice and I remembered it was recommended to me so we decided to return later for dinner.
The restaurant was recommended by a local whilst travelling on the plane to Florence. I was told they did the best burgers in town. I think he could tell by my facial expressions that I wasn't a burger restaurant type of girl. He reassured me this was no Macdonalds!
My friend and I ordered a burger and french fries which both came with lettuce and tomato on the side. The service was efficient and friendly and the food was excellent. Everything was cooked to perfection, the burger was succulent and moist and slightly pink in the middle. The bun was home made and even had sesame seeds on top. The fries were crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle, just as they should be. The presentation was basic, but there's not much you can do with a burger! We ordered a bottle of Chianti Classico to accompany our meal and were not disappointed. The menu has lots more to offer, but I would definitely recommend their burgers.
We sat outside and had views of the river and as night fell we were surrounded by candle light and the sweet scent of jasmine. It was delightful, a lovely escape from the bustling city. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place is amazing! It's a little bit expensive (a hamburger costs around 20 euros), but, guys, it's totally worth it! The place is located on the riverside of Arno, really romantic atmosphere...A must-to in your visit to Florence!