“Superb Hotel in Florence”
Review of Hotel L'Orologio

Hotel L'Orologio
Ranked #49 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've used that headline because when we're next planning a visit to Florence, Hotel l'Orologio will be top of the list. Having visited the city twice before and had less than satisfactory results in our choice of hotels, it was with a degree of temerity that I booked this one. Well, what a delight!
We arrived from Venice on the Freccia Argento express train (what a treat and only €45 each for the 2 hour journey travelling at speeds up to 270kph). The plan was to surprise my sister whose 60th birthday it was and whose husband had booked a surprise trip to Florence for her with dinner out on the day. Well, an added surprise was my wife and I waiting in the restaurant. So it was important we booked somewhere near the station so there was no chance we might bump into them accidentally.
It was raining when we arrived but the short walk was no problem. The entrance lobby was an indication of the style of this hotel and the receptionist an indication of their attitude towards guests; she was so charming and helpful.
I had specified a quiet room and so it proved to be. It was on the third floor. Room numbering is a little confusing in that, above each door is a four figure number accompanied by a name, e.g. The Sultan of Oman. It was only having wandered about a bit that we noticed the room numbers were on the small brass plates, at waist level, into which you have to insert your key card.
The room was excellent. Unusually for many Italian hotels, there was even a tea making tray. There was ample wardrobe space, a safe, flexible bedside reading lights, slippers, etc. The bathroom was fabulous, in spite of one of those magnifying mirrors over the basin. In a modern style by a large border-lit mirror, neither my wife nor I noticed it until my wife accidentally caught sight of herself and let out small cry of despair!
We could not have wished for anything better, it being the cheapest option at €120 for the night (incl. breakfast)
We returned to the hotel after dinner with my sister and son-in-lay for a nightcap in the stylish bar. However, we retired to an English gentlemen's club like area, all wood panelling and an open (gas wood-effect) fire and comfortable leather sofas. A fitting end to a lovely day.
The bed was reassuringly firm and oh so comfortable.
Then there was breakfast. My wife was ecstatic, well as ecstatic as one could be over breakfast. It was one of the best, if not the best, breakfast we have enjoyed anywhere. Located at the top of the hotel overlooking the large square below and much of Florence, the breakfast room featured the original room beams and huge panoramic windows punctuated by original stone columns. Breakfast itself was superb, the highlight of which was the delicate crispy bacon. I could go on but ....
A final word; my wife kept commenting on how clean everywhere and everything was. I tend not to notice as I don't wear my glasses all the time but it's praise indeed, coming from madame!
We left our case at the hotel before walking over to an art exhibition at the Strozzi. It was then back to the station for a return trip to Venice and this time, it was first class...it was part of the return ticket and still only €45!
Florence is beautiful and the best time for a visit is in the winter. In summer, it's rammed with tourists; hot, noisy and crowded. We shall return and Hotel l'Orologio will be our hotel of choice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike L

Reviewed January 15, 2013

It was my second time in Florence and this time it was with my family of 10. Never heard of this hotel before but oh my..Fantastic hotel, 2 minute walk to the Santa Maria Novella train station. The hotel is across from the Santa Maria Novella church, right at the corner of the piazza. The signboard is a bit small and you might miss it first time (which was what happened to us!). Room was spotlessly clean and you feel like you are in a posh New York apartment bedroom. Staff spoke brilliant English and service was exceptional. Breakfast was good and the view from the restaurant was fantastic. It's designed as a boutique hotel, we spent a lot of time at the fireplace next to the lobby reading our Kindles! Wifi was fast and free (unlike most hotels). Everything felt so personal and done to a very high standard, will definitely be staying again. I think it has set a benchmark for all my future hotel stays. Exceptional. Well done Hotel L'Orologio!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Elegant ambiance, very close to the train station. Staff were very friendly and personable, personally assisted us for a couple of things we needed as a family of 10 travelling through Italy for the first time. WiFI was free as well, which is a great bonus.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Due to last minute change of plans, we booked Hotel L'Orologio for 2 nights just a few days before arriving, based on TripAdvisor recommendations. We were not disappointed at all.

The hotel is elegant and we thought the price was very reasonable for the quality of the hotel. The room was spotlessly clean as well as very quiet and the bed was the most comfortable bed and pillows in Italy. There was coffee service in the room and free WIFI that worked well. The bathroom was huge with a large shower. Bath products were high end.

The hotel has a clock theme which was carried out in an elegant fashion without being too cutesy or overdone. We stayed in room 305.

Breakfast was good and the dining room was clean, bright and cheerful.

The location is perfect, within a 5 minute walk from the train station. It was within walking distance of all of the major sites. We highly recommend Hotel L'Orologio.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lana117
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Overall, we truly enjoyed our stay here. Our room was a huge suite, with a walk in closet area, a living room, and a bedroom and bathroom. The common areas of the hotel are very nicely appointed and the bar is fun for a pre or post dinner drink. The breakfast at the hotel was wonderful, in a gorgeous room on the top floor of the property. I was only disappointed with the desk staff: when we asked for them to make us reservations for lunch or dinner, they wouldn't confirm whether or not it had been done. So twice we showed up to a restaurant that was closed, when we thought the hotel reserved us a table. Other times we would ask one person for help and then check back in, a different staff member wouldn't know the status of the request. In any event-- book your restaurant reservations online when possible, and save yourself the headache!

Room Tip: Get a suite!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay R
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We loved this hotel. The rooms were lovely - lots of space and well appointed. Breakfast was included and very good - continental style with lots of choice. Easy to walk from the train station but it doesn't have very clear signage so not obvious when you get into the piazza. Try the raspberry Bellini in the bar. Best I've ever had. We'd go back to stay.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Perthfoodie
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in July while we were in town for a friends wedding. I booked this hotel based on the reviews on here and was not disappointed. The hotel is located a quick five minute walk from the central train station, as well as the duomo. We walked everywhere with no troubles at all. The breakfast was delicious each morning with lots to choose from and the hotel is very clean and nicely decorated. I also have to mention that even though the hotel is very close to the train station, it felt very safe and we walked around all times of the day and night with no problems.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple