“YES! STAY HERE!”
Review of Hotel L'Orologio

Hotel L'Orologio
Ranked #42 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I don't usually give a 5 star rating for a hotel but I absolutely loved my stay at this hotel and it was my favorite hotel of our trip to Italy. The only other thing they could have done to make us happier was give us our room for free(lol)! From the moment they noticed us trying to come into the hotel with our huge bags to the moment we checked out the staff did everything they could to help. If you are looking for a great hotel convenient to the train station like I was, I recommend this hotel whole heartedly! Sorry this review is so long but I always write information that I wish to hear about from others rather than "this hotel is great" type reviews....I will only post a few photos because this hotel still looks very much like the photos on the website and here on trip advisor.

Now on to the tips-----

It is amazingly easy to find this hotel from SM Novella train station. When you get off your train, just go straight out of the train station, bear left out of the station, and walk past the taxis so you are facing the Mcdonalds across the street. Follow the pedestrian traffic across the street/crosswalks to your right(as soon as there is a break in the taxi), and you will begin to approach a church and touristy junk stands when you cross a couple of small streets. Once you've crossed the streets and are standing on the sidewalk facing the church, turn left and walk around the corner, so the church is on your right side, and passing the vendors. When you come to the end of the church to the right you will find yourself in a piazza, look to the left, you will see the hotel there! It's easy to overlook, but it is easy to spot if you look at the photos others have posted. There is no obvious sign for the hotel! I would have overlooked it if it wasn't for what others have said it looks like! The walk can't be more than 10 minutes, and it is hardly worth taking a taxi. As long as your suitcase can stand the brutal cobblestone streets you'll be fine!

This hotel is amazingly quiet. Only 1 English speaking channel, (BBC I think...common in italy) but the TV has an hdmi port (newer model samsung flat screen) that I could hook my phone to to watch whatever I wanted to through my phone (thanks to great wifi) to the tv to help me relax and sleep in the evening. With the curtains drawn (they draw them in the afternoon) the room is dark and cool and you could sleep all day if you wanted! The bathroom was wonderful with marble everywhere (huge tub, with bubblebath!). The AC was perfect. Small mini fridge with the usual drinks. Robes and slippers. The Wifi was fast and easy to connect to with your name and room number. We booked a jr suite with balcony, room 501 I believe. The balcony overlooked housetops, which wasn't particularly impressive but it's beautiful at night or in the morning for breakfast (too hot any other time). Breakfast was pretty common from what I found in Italy but they had a great fruit selection that I loved, cut up pineapple, cantaloupe and watermelon (since italian scrambled eggs just aren't my thing)! The front desk can reserve tickets to the Accademia for you so you don't have to stand in that long line! Those in reception always had a helpful answer or were willing to call to find out information for us and spoke great English.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel is very nice. Since I have been traveling around Italy during a heat wave...I can also say the air conditioning in my room was really great. Nice standard room with very large bathroom and ample closet storage. The room was quiet and very comfortable but a little dim for lighting. The front desk was very pleasant and accommodating. The free breakfast was very good as well. Nice bar restaurant downstairs. The location was very good for walking to attractions. Just an overall very good experience. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My favourite hotel of many on a two week trip through Italy, Rooms are beautiful and extremely clean. Nice gym and lovely little bar where it's possible to sit out on a side street, sip prosecco and people watch. I enjoyed every second in this hotel and we will definitely return to this hotel if we return to Florence.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

wow, what a beautiful and clean hotel. The hotel i think is only 2 years old. The staff very friendly.Location is great also, you can walk from the train station. If i ever go back to Florance this is the only hotel i would stay in.you will not regret staying here.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Great location, we arrived by train to the SMN station and made an easy 150m walk to the hotel location right on the Santa Maria Novella square. On arrival the place looks very classy with the Rolex collectibles and memorabilia on display everywhere. Greeted by friendly and helpful staff who all had good working English and offered assistance with local restaurants and directions.
Rooms were very spacious and the bathrooms grand with great showers and even bidets.
Breakfast was a buffet of high quality and replenished often. Staff at breakfast were a bit aloof and a friendly greeting or a smile would have been great, especially after the great welcome by reception.
Location is fantastic, we walked to all of the sites we wanted to see and there are many choices to eat nearby. You MUST eat at La Bottega Di Rosa on Via Del Campidoglio and have the Bistecca, without doubt the best thing I ate in a month in Europe.
Highly recommend this hotel and would defiantly stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the forth floor and both rooms were great
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel lived up to our expectations. Exactly like the pictures online. Rooms were nice and large. We had a lovely terrace overlooking the Duomo. Breakfast was plentiful and very good food. Everyone was helpful and friendly, especially Matteo, in the bar.
Location was perfect and convenient to walk to everything. Would definitely return.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel is located at a very beautiful square in the historical part of Florence. Lot of restaurants and pubs around it.
From outside it doesnt not look special as it is from inside for my pleasant surprise.
The lobby was elegant. The room was gorgeous - I think the ceiling was at least 4 meters high, spacious, stylish...unique athmosphere...
I plan to revisit Florence and will definately try booking there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business