“Beautiful, authentic cuisine”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uffizi
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My first exposure to authentic Italian cuisine came on a trip to Florence, and of all the places where I ate (a LOT of places), Osteria del Porcellino was hands down the best. I returned three times, and every single dish was crazy wonderful.

The atmosphere is very family oriented, and the owners and waiters visit with you and ask about your home country. This osteria made me a fan of gnocchi with a single serving. Always a pasta devotee, gnocchi just seemed a bit gummy and too starchy for more than two or three bites, but Osteria del Porcellino's gnocchi was a sensory experience. I can't think of it without my mouth watering. Another favorite is the panna cotta with chocolate sauce, and the boar ragu. Basically everything is fantastic.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We had a little trouble finding this place and even ended up entering through the back door, but trust us, it was worth the search. My husband had porcini mushroom risotto followed by roasted cinghiale (wild boar) chops with potatoes that he thoroughly enjoyed while I had this bean dish in tomato sauce followed by sea bass filets in a tomato and caper sauce. Both of our meals were delicious. We even splurged and had dessert which are all made on site. One lemon cheese cake and an apple and almond tart later and we knew we'd have to write an excellent review for this great little restaurant. If you make it to Florence, don't miss it!

1  Thank hugsoflaughter6
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were the first customers for dinner with our friends who wanted to eat early to head out for their flight at 4AM the next morning. It was about 5:30,I believe, when we sit down. The food was good, the service fast and the setting consistent with most city restaurants. The really big suggestion might be to come a little later. It seems that the restaurant sits right in the same street that the leather vendors use to push their carts to and from the leather market which is just around the corner , So every day at a certain time here come the carts rolling over cobblestone right past the tables on the sidewalk. Noisy enough that conversation stops until they past. We certainly didn't let that bother us,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by the B&B where we were staying in Florence. We read the reviews on Trip Advisor which appeared generally positive and asked our B&B host to make us a reservation despite the presence of some bad reviews. He had not led us astray on his first recommendation the night before which also had some mixed reviews so we decided to give it a try and we were quite pleased we did! We had originally booked a table inside but the evening was quite warm and we requested a table outside when we arrived. We had to wait about 20-25 minutes or so but did not mind as the staff inside were very friendly and treated us to several aperitifs whilst we waited. When we were seated at our table outside and after perusing through the menu to make our selections, we had to wait quite awhile before our waiter returned to take our orders. In fact another couple who had arrived after us had their orders taken before us and this was immediately spotted by Maria who runs the restaurant with her brother and she actually snapped her fingers to get one of the waiters to come over to our table. We decided to split an order of the house antipasto which consisted of prosciutto, salami and fried brie cheese and it was quite good. For starters, I had the Paccheri pasta which was good and my husband had the Caserecce pasta with pesto and sprinkled with crushed pistachios which was amazing. Truly one of the best pesto and pistachio pastas we ever had and I must confess I could not help eating most of his portion and mopping up the pesto sauce with pieces of bread! For seconds, I ordered the sliced beef with rocket salad and parmesan which was somewhat average. My husband ordered the veal chop with orange and sweet paprika which again proved to be a fabulous choice. As I mentioned before, the staff was very friendly and especially Maria. At one point when my husband went inside, Maria came up to him, took him by the arm and asked him in Italian if everything was satisfactory with the meal. A nice touch. If you want good Italian food with great service in Florence, then do try this restaurant. Being quite accustomed to great Italian cooking at home, the Osteria del Porcellino was a welcome treat after several disappointing restaurant experiences in Venice and Rome.

2  Thank lublue
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The food, wine, service and atmosphere were incredible for a small restaurant in this packed city. Our lunch was a markable treat from the bland pizza, cheese and pasta served to stupid, gullible tourists. I recommend this delightful plae to all who visit this sardine can. Enjoy!