“Worst service in Florence”
Review of Il Cavallino

Il Cavallino
Ranked #2,240 of 2,825 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Uffizi
Reviewed August 12, 2012

These guys are really rude. They have no idea how to serve the tourist. Don't waste your money there. They were rushing us and even turned off the fans for the table in the middle of the summer having a 5 years old kid in the table. People in Italy are rude, but the ones working for the restaurant are the worst. If you go from the US go eat at hard rock cafe or any well recommended restaurant in tripadvisor

1  Thank Hvilchez

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Well what do you expect for such a location? I have eaten here a few times and find it totally serviceable if you choose local freshly prepared dishes, not exciting, but hey, they are targeting tourists, and they are probably better than some of their competition. If you want Ok food with a great view, then this restaurant will likely meet your needs. If want great food in Florence - you should know better than to be looking around this piazza for it!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Everything terrible. With this money you can have the most great dinners in Florence. I'm not overreacting at all! I shouldn't have stayed there. As soon as we sat down, there was an older couple that started a verbal fight with the waiter, so I should know that it couldn't be a good sign. The staff was terrible, and didn't even let us choose our food. We made a question about the size of the bottle of the wine from the house and he not only haven't answered our question, but walked away from our table and brought the wine he wanted in the size he wanted!!! My pasta was awful, the worst I ever had!! Specially in Italy!!! It was a really small portion for price, so I complained and they did nothing for me, but made jokes with the other waitresses right in front of us! Again, with this money you can have perfect meals at other restaurantas!

1  Thank Helena C
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This restaurant has a prime position on the Piazza Signoria. We took a chance with this restaurant and it was pretty dire to say the least.
First of all, the tables are placed very close together. The service tries to be quirky and fun but ends up giving a tiresome and lengthy experience to its customers. I requested a half bottle of orvieto but the waiter brought me the house white because he wanted me to try it!

The menu is quite varied, however beware, all is not as it should be. Portions are quite small, even for prima platti standards. The osso buco was very average, almost meat and two veg standard. The spaghetti with cherry tomato and baby lobster is a con - one baby lobster on the dish which yielded a piece of lobster meat no bigger than a 50p piece. I expected the meat to be removed and in with the dish, from more than one scampi!!
The saving grace of the starter - smoked swordfish, which was beautiful. Probably the best smoked fish I have ever tasted.

It is pricey for the quality of food and service you actually receive. However it seems to get by with the atmosphere on square carrying it along. It was busy throughout the evening, however I got the impression not all the customers were happy.

If you must try it, be careful, fore warned if forearmed!!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We spent the morning we went to this horrible restaurant at the Uffizi Gallery. We finished from the museum at 1:30 pm and we were starving. As we walked out of the Uffizi we saw those "tourist trap" restaurants at the Piaza Della Singoria and we searched for the busiest restaurant assuming it would be the best. I usually check trip advisor ratings before going to any restaurant but I have no idea what happened to me that day. I guess hunger blinded me. We got a table inside and the waiter was simply obnoxious. If you ask for anything he would give you his back and not acknowledge that he heard what you said. We ordered Brasaola for appetizer which was not appetizing at all. The Brasaola meat was rubber tough. For main courses we had the lobster pasta, shrimp pistachio risotto, veal with spaghetti, and the orata fish. Everything was just terrible except for the fish which was edible. My husband couldn't take a single bite of his lobster pasta. The foul smell of the lobster was not tolerable. My shirmp risotto had nothing to do with risotto. It was basically rice that soaked in water. The shrimp in it didn't taste that fresh either. The veal was just disgusting, soaked in lemon and the breading was like a dough. This is by far one of the worst meals I had in my life. Florence should be ashamed of itself to have a restaurant like this in a prime location like that. I hope it goes out of business soon.