“Worst experience ever at any hotel worldwide”
Review of Garibaldi's Relais

and 1 more site!
Garibaldi's Relais
Ranked #260 of 318 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Reviewed June 20, 2013

DO NOT GO THERE!!!!! Do not go there. Do not even think to go there. All bad informations/ratings given from other travellers are not true - the hotel is worse than all ratings together.
Dirty, no aircondition, no minibar, no chair in room, no table in room, dirty wardrobe, bed linnen seemed to be used before, the reception is a great mess so as the highlighted garden and all others.
my worst experience ever at any hotel and I travel the world not only to its best places but also to the middle of nowhere at Asian countries like China etc.

Room Tip: do not choose any room - just stay away
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Eckardt H

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed in this hostel our last night in Florence and we'd chosen it due to its proximity to airport, because we had a early flight next morning, (and its actually 5 min walk) Well, the hostel in general is in very poor conditions, the photos from the web does not match the reality, as you will see from the pick I took there, the room was very dark, with old furniture, with dirty walls, the bedlinen definitely was not of the white color, the door to the bathroom didnt close. And actually I would not care at all as Im not very picky and it was our last night in florence, BUT THE SMELL. The smell in the hostel is so strong that you cant think of nothing else. They just have to do something about it. It unbearable!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Koshichka
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I’m just gonna get right into this review. My friend and I just spent one week in Florence, and we stayed at Garibaldi’s. We thought it was our responsibility as fellow travelers to write a very detailed and informative review for potential guests.

Lets start off with the basics. Now, going into this, we realized that this place wasn’t going to be no Buckingham Palace. We understood that this was a HOSTEL and the other reviews clearly warned us of what was to come. Alas, we (being poor college students on Christmas break) decided to take a risk and book here anyway. We knew what we were getting into, I mean, it was only 12 euro a night….

I'll give you the good stuff first.
The staff (a middle age man and his mother) were waiting up for us when we got there at night. They were friendly and nice (the grandmother didn’t speak any English but she does speak French!.. she also gives a lot of compliments. Or we think they were compliments, we couldn’t really understand her but we did make out ‘bella’, so that’s good, right?)
We never really had any problems with them, we didn’t see them too often, only occasionally in the morning when we left for town or at night when we came back. Other than that, we sometimes would hear them talking outside but no real disturbances.

The amenities
Lets just say, there aren’t really any. When we first got there, we were given our room. We lucked out, because we were staying in a 6 person room, yet it was only two of us, so that was really nice. However, that was probably because we were there over Christmas, and no one in their right mind would spend Christmas in Garibaldi’s – but we did! Anyway, nothing (and I mean nothing) is included. Pillow cases: 1 euro. Toilet paper: 1 euro. Sheets: 1 euro. Getting a rash at Garibaldi’s: PRICELESS. Just kidding, no rashes have developed-yet. The blankets were stained, the walls had footprints(?) on them and the floor was pretty skuzzy. One morning, someone came into “clean”, but I mean, who really knows what that means.

The bathroom
Hmmm. Well, for starters there isn’t a shower curtain, which means that after you shower the floor gets pretty wet. And, because there is no drain the floor stays pretty wet…. Until you take a shower again and the vicious cycle continues. There isn’t soap provided so please come prepared with your own sanitizer. A really surpirsing plus side was good shower pressure and hot water- didn't see that one coming!

There’s plenty to do at Garibaldi’s! (Haha, that’s a good one!) They display on their website that they have a nice garden area- never saw it! There weren’t really doors to go outside other than the front and even then sometimes that didn’t open. There is a “sitting lounge” (if you could even call it that) in the hallway, but you really cant sit there because of …. The smell.

The smell
Garibaldi’s has a unique scent, if you will, that has been unmatched to anything I’ve ever experienced so far in my 19 years of living. There are two levels of the smell. When you first walk in, it hits ya right in the face. I was trying to figure out how to describe this odor but really all I can say is that it smells like a mix between rotten eggs and Indian/Korean food. The second level is the bathroom, which we didn’t think was possible, where the smell gets more potent. It almost burns the nostrils and brings tears to your eyes if you’re caught off guard. Thankfully, the room itself that we were staying in did not have any scent at all! So, if you don’t mind smells, you smell yourself, or you have lost your sense of smell, Garibaldi’s is the place for you!

Other than that, the hostel is located in a residential, safe town and we had no problem walking to the center of Florence each day. It’s about a 5 mile walk each way (which takes an hour and a half if you’re strolling) but there is a bus stop practically right across the street that (for 1.20 euro each way) will get you right to the center. We were given our own key so that we could come and go when we please, which was nice.

Oh! Also, if you are considering taking a leap of faith and staying at good ol’ Garibaldi’s you’ll need to take a taxi from the airport (despite it being so close). Unless you have an impeccable sense of Italian direction and are willing to cross the motorway, you probably wont be able to find this place by yourself. Be careful if you’re taking a taxi- you’ll probably get ripped off. It’s only a 2 minute ride but they’ll still try and charge you 12 euro.

To summarize, if you’re ready to rough it, have and adventure and have great stories to tell your grandchildren then come on out! While there, we never felt threatened and for the price, we got what we expected. If you’re a 19-30 young adult who’s got nothin’ to lose, you’ll do just fine here…. Just don’t tell your parents the details; it would keep your mother up at night. However, if you’re in the ‘over 30’ age category, I think that you might want to reconsider.

Basically, Garibaldi’s Relais, you’ve given us quite the adventure, but I’ve never been so excited to move on. It definitely puts things in perspective, and I can say I’ve walked away feeling more grateful for my own home.

I hope this review has helped you make a decision either way, and if you do decide to venture a visit to Garibaldi’s we have one thing to say to you: Good Luck. And may the odds be ever in your favor.

Love,
Two Americans who had the craziest week in Florence

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Emily S
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was at the hostel I was fine. I am a trader and I often go
in Florence. The accommodation is located in a commercial area and near the airport.
You can easily reach airport and walking distance from the hotel is 5 minutes without the use of taxis.
Managers are polite and waiting for customers until late. Unfortunately, it is a hostel and would not be in their interest to wait for because the hostels have to close early.
I had booked a single room with bath, and they gave me a very large double room for the same price.
the room was very clean and well kept. great staff very professional and helpful with customers

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 969Pierluigi_M
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was an incredibly bad 'hotel'! I stayed there for two nights together with my girlfriend and this was the worst place we have stayed at until now! It is extremely dirty, very loud and frequented by drugaddicts and alcoholics. Please, do not make our mistake and do not book a room there! It is better to pay double charge than to check in the Garibaldi relais! And this not enough, after staying there for two nights, we got a rash all over our bodies, no matter that we slept with the clothes on. I think the blankets were used and there were bugs in the mattress.

Room Tip: Don't check in there!!!!!
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank angelina j
Alessio V, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Garibaldi's Relais, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear customer,

Thank you for the feedback, the first to receive non-right, in order to continuously improve all our services and better meet our guests.

We believe, however, be noted that the reservation after careful checks we have not found.

I must say that you will certainly be a competitor who has decided to write a review.

In reference to what he says seem off topic arguments and meaningless, at the limit of intelligence, made by a person without knowledge of the facts and out any reference of reality.

the Management

Reviewed September 23, 2011

I was welcomed in a wonderful way, in a professional environment and family. Me and my girlfriend were looking for a place in the Italian or Tuscan style, and found it here in this little B & B. The pleasant atmosphere and enchanting evening by candlelight can be face to face and that's great. I rediscovered the pleasure of a vacation after so many years, the place is nice and well cared for, the room is basic, garden view and you can also rent bicycles to go to the park's most important city of Florence. Brian

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I went there to check in but the place was closed. now one answered the door. we tried to call but no one answered the phone as well. so we went to tourist information center, they tried to call them as well but no one answered. luckily the tourist information center is very good in florence so they booked us another hotel. we had top struggle for almost 3 hours. it was my 2nd destination after rome & was soo stressfull. from outside it looked like a small house & i think they were renting a room out. so its not a proper hostel. i would advise evryone not to book this place as it will be the worst mistake ever. its better to pay more & book another place.

Room Tip: plus camping they have branches throughout italy and they provide a best deal ever
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple