“Oasis in the centre of Florence”
Review of B&B Il Cielo

B&B Il Cielo
Ranked #296 of 649 Florence B&B and Inns
Shrewsbury
“Oasis in the centre of Florence”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Wonderful place to stay, a real breath of fresh air on the top floor of a historical building, in a very central part of Florence just a short walk from the Duomo, by San Lorenzo market. The décor is very arty and our spacious room had a lovely four poster bed. We had a basin in our room and the bathroom (just across the corridor) was funky and fresh. We shared the bathroom with one other but this was not a problem at any point. Giancarlo was a fantastic host and couldn't do enough to help us with any queries. The breakfast was delicious and substantial. Excellent value for money and I would recommend Il Cielo to anyone, particularly couples or solo travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The room and bathroom are super clean, and breakfast is not only delicious but also well thought by the host. Every day you are able to taste new kinds of local flavor. The atmosphere in the apartment makes u feel at home with the help of relaxing music and lighting. The deco with a variety of birds is quite interesting. Btw, 5 minutes walk from train station, it saves me a lot of time and energy to carry my luggage. Definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elaine W
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Listen, if you're gonna read a review -- read this one.
I have not been paid or sponsored by anyone. I just woke up in il Cielo on my second day of my trip and Giancarlo prepared me an amazing breakfast -- when I say amazing, I'm talking homemade jams, muffins, even fresh milk. The atmosphere here is absolutely amazing... The room is beautiful with a great view... Sure there are some stairs to get through upon arriving however if you're not willing to walk a little -- don't come to Florence. Not only would I suggest Il Cielo to future visitors and family -- it's day 2 and Giancarlo is already family.

I love this place. Beautiful

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Bbarlev
Torun, Poland
Reviewed September 17, 2013

"Il cielo" has absolutely right name because you can feel there like in heaven! I felt that is a very special place even before I came there. And I wasn't mistaken! The location is great, you can feel like being in the heart of the city but at the same time it isn't too crowded place. Rooms are so cosy and decorated in good taste - this place is simply magical:) Famous breakfasts deserve for their fame - there are so delicious and rich! And the last but definitely not least - Giancarlo:) I've never met as kind, helpful, friendly and amazing owner of B&B as him. But you can feel his behaviour not like the owner because he treats you not like a client but like a very important guest and even a good friend:) I returned from Florence several days ago but I am planning my next trip to beautiful Tuscany and fabulous Florence just now - and of course I'll stay only at "Il cielo":)

Room Tip: The single room isn't small at all and it's very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

For our honeymoon adventure we would be arriving from Venice by train, and needed a B&B close to the station that would allow us 3 days in Florence and a short train to Pisa for half a day before leaving to travel to Rome by train.

In less than 5 minutes from getting off the train, we were settled in our room and greeted with the incredibly helpful Elisa who made us feel welcome and passed on the all-important free wi-fi password.

The B&B itself is a lovely, cosy and artistic only a short 10-15 minute walk to Piazza del Duomo
The daily breakfast consists of coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, pecorino and pears, pastries was excellent and I guarantee you will walk away loving the taste sensation of pears and cheese.
Lovely people, artistic b&b and a perfect location ensured we have a wonderful time in Florence and many happy memories were made.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil_Hughes
New York
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I spent one night at Il Cielo--the first night of a fifteen-day sojourn in Italy. Because of an airline snafu, I arrived six hours after I said I would. I had no way to communicate with the hotel and, at six-thirty, found the door locked. (They had urged me to let them know when I would arrive.) The man in the little shop next door telephoned them, and the host (GianCarlo, I think) said he had waited all day, but would now return as swiftly as he could. I didn't have to wait long. He was quick to reassure me that my tardiness was not a big problem, and then obligingly carried my suitcase to the top floor and showed me into a very clean, quiet room. Il Cielo is very conveniently situated near the Santa Maria Novella train station. It is quiet and lovely. The breakfast the host served the next morning suggested that all kinds of attention had been paid to details; it even included a fresh homemade cheesecake. The hotel is small, which I enjoyed. I think there are only three rooms. The one caveat--something the hotel itself can do nothing about--is the fairly narrow and steep stairway. For youthful travelers, and spry ones, probably no problem. Bifocals and an occasionally unsteady step might make the going up and coming down a little bit tricky. A wonderful place to stay! (Yes, the bathroom situation could be a bit complicated, but I, like 2013 Travel_Companion, found I did not have to wait. In fact, the host offered me the exclusive use of the further bathroom, so that the guests in the other occupied room and I would each have essentially a "private" bathroom.) Again, a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The owner was one of the easiest people to get along with I have met. And, the place was super great to hang out in.

The breakfast that came with the room was better than most of the other breakfasts that we had at other Bed and Breakfast hotels. And, the place having only three rooms made for a substantially more intimate feel. For example, there was ample space and time available to lounge in the living room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple