“Full of character ...”
Review of Il Salviatino

Il Salviatino
Ranked #88 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed December 4, 2013

A beautiful building every corner every detail of the hotel is very interesting. Breakfast was good. Shuttle to town was fantastic very frequent. Room was impressive. Service was very personalise. Staff was very accommodating . If you have the budget try it for one night at the least. Beautiful views.

Room Tip: Worth to invest one night in Florence at this hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 29, 2013

A wonderful few days spent late summer in Fiesole. The hotel wasn't cheap by any means but this hotel definitely comes under the heading of 'Life experience' rather than mini- break. To open the windows and shutters in your room to be greeted byt the sounds of birds and insects and to look out to the Duomo was magical. Already thinking about when we will next be able to get back...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neil F
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Gorgeous, romantic villa with terrific service, wonderfully luxurious rooms and delicious food. Can't say enough wonderful things about our stay here! After arriving on a cool, rainy day, it was like heaven. I can't think of a better place for a couple to stay near Florence. The hotel provided a complimentary shuttle (10 mins) into the center of Florence at very convenient times. When at the hotel, you had amazing views of the city and wonderful gardens, pool and terraces to spend some leisure time. We didn't have enough time to really spend in Tuscany- but it felt like we were staying at a Tuscan villa. Our dinner there was the best of the entire trip!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bellagirl14
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Charlotte G is crazy!!!!!! This place was ridiculously majestic, everything you would expect from from a 5 star villa in Toscana! The Villa was so amazing we never wanted to leave, obviously Florence was great, the Duomo, food (alla antico vinaio omg best sandwiches ever), but the service/food/scenery/ambiance/decor etc from Il Salviatino was truly spectacular! Please do yourself a favor and stay here, Lino is the man who takes care of everyones need, and he will make sure it's the best experience in all of Toscana/Firenze! We had neighbors while we stayed from China, Russia, Middle East, England, etc and everyone agreed, it was sick!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron C
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

This is what I call luxury!
The staff anticipates your needs and bring it to you before you ever wish for it. The attention to details is amazing, you feel welcomed, they know how to take care of you. The team is friendly and nice but discreet and professional.
When I arrive by car I was very impressed by the Tuscan building. At the check in they offered me a glass of Prosecco outside on the terrace so I didn't have to wait and they told me that I could relax now, they would take care of everything for me (i arrive earlier than my husband).
The scenery from the hotel is breathtaking, located on the hills on Florence you can see the Duomo cathedrale. The hotel has a shuttle service to drive you from and to the hotel to the city center of Florence.
Our room was very spacious as you can see on the photo which is unique for Florence and offer a great value for money. Not to mention the large size of the bed that was very confortable (brand new) too.
The standard of the breakfast and food & beverage is extremely high. I really enjoy the surprise of the breakfast every morning and you have plenty of choice too.
The Housekeeping team has left a pack of local biscuit as a welcome in my room which I found really nice.

The design itself of the hotel is exceptional, it doesn’t look like an hotel but more a private house decorated with taste and expensive furniture. Even the TV is integrate in a large mirror, the chesterfield sofa invite you to read a book (or your ipad since the wifi is free at the hotel) while having a tea, the desk in my room look like a unique piece…

I just can’t wait to come back, this time during the summer season to enjoy their pool which should be the cherry on the cake.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was really disapointed by my stay in this hotel. It is an amazing old house but the restoration is awful : there is some white plastic chesterfield sofa outside, it is very tacky. Inside, it is very dark, there is warm place where you can have a drink and relax. Our room was dark and sad. The staff was very kind but I will never come back, I really had a bad time in this place. Sorry!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Charlotte G
SalviatinoCollection, Manager at Il Salviatino, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

first of all I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to post your review and give your comments on your recent stay at Il Salviatino. Indeed the feedbacks we receive are very important and are one of the most successful tools to understand the issues which need to be addressed.

I just would like to take a very short time to explain that our sofas on the Terrace are not exactly in plastic, but they are designed for outdoor spaces, with a specific fabric.

We are aware that the Villa interiors are not the most bright: all the interior design decisions (lighting system included) have been studied to keep the original aspect of a 15th Century Villa, to pursue its real value and tradition.

Again I regret if all these details have left you a bad memory of your stay with us and that your visit was not as enjoyable as you had expected.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me directly for any further information you might require: I remain at your disposition.

Best regards,

Anna Rolla
Operations Manager

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I should start by saying that I am a travel agent, and have had the luxury to stay in some great hotels. This is my new #1 pick! It's breath-taking.

To clarify, I'm not the kind of traveler who wants the same Westin/Four Seasons familiarity each time. I like to try new things, and appreciate boutique luxury.

SERVICE: The service here is amazing. When you arrive, they instantly grab your things, and usher you to their couches overlooking rose gardens, hand you a glass of Prosecco, and tell you to relax. If it's evening, they will light you a fire, offer you a blanket while you enjoy the moment. The Duomo pops up perfectly over the trees, and I would suggest arriving at sunset (if you plan your trip down to the minute). We stayed four nights, and each night became more and more familiar with the staff. They are incredibly friendly, which was hard to find in Italy elsewhere.

VALUE: I got a great deal, and suggest booking early. The earlier the better! The hotel only has 45 rooms, so it books fast. I rarely say this, but given the location, amenities, sheer beauty, I feel that I underpaid. It was out of a dream! From a female perspective, they gave larger sized products - soap, shampoo, conditioner (made with Tuscan olive oil) , a full sized hair dryer, and the most comfortable robes I've ever felt. We were also comp'd a few drinks and snacks, which is always appreciated.

SLEEP/ROOMS: Another thing that's hard to find in Italy - Huge beds! Large rooms too! This is not your standard European shoebox room. The rooms ( I saw multiple rooms, as I did a site tour) were all a bit different, generally toilets and showers separated in the bathrooms. Every room had incredibly views, but the drapes were heavy enough to give that "black out" feel, should you want to sleep and curl up in your robe and king sized bed for hours! Cleaning was on point, done daily, with clothes folded, and little notes from staff (with biscotti!)

LOCATION: This was the one thing I was nervous about, having never been to Florence. What a silly worry! It's the perfect spot. It's just on the outskirts of Florence...close enough to be only a 15 minute shuttle to Duomo drop off, but far enough to feel secluded and private. This shuttle runs every 30 minutes. Being higher up in the hills gave us a view of Florence that was incredible. It's also only a short drive to Fiesole, should you want another cute Italian town to stroll through!

From Train Station - 20 Euro cab, 10-15 minutes (there are PLENTY of cabs, no worries on that)

Having seen the location of some other excellent hotels (Savoy, etc ) - I personally wouldn't suggest staying RIGHT in the heart of the action, unless you are also renting a car to see Tuscany, Chianti region, etc. Il Salviatino's location offers the best of both worlds!

SPA - Spa facility was beautiful. Imagine two massage tables with sunlight streaming in, a large Victorian Bath tub, a spiral staircase...an idyllic setting. Being there during off season, the Spa was located inside of the hotel. During the peak (summer) months, the spa is moved to an outdoor facility, near to the pool. I assume this is done to take advantage of the beautiful weather and views! Massage service was excellent, and the hotel offered discounts upon check in, as a SPA promotion was being run. We gladly took advantage!

BREAKFAST: Included, and unique! Every morning, they would bring a breakfast "buffet" out on a tray, to your table. It should be noted that you can eat in any room of the villa you prefer...Your room, the library, outdoors (multiple spots), lounge, etc...anywhere you can think of!

One thing I might add - it's awesome for couples - great honeymoon, anniversary, etc kind of place. I don't know how they do with children's amenities, but I know that families can reserve a full wing (3 rooms) where the spa currently is, and it can be separated off to make for more privacy.

Another option, higher end, would be the greenhouse suites. They are further away from main hotel, and offer more room.

Room Tip: All rooms have great privacy!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple