“The family landlord touch”
Review of Trattoria Osvaldo

Trattoria Osvaldo
Ranked #616 of 2,841 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This place is tucked away from Florence's city center, at the foot of the most amazing neighbourhood you can imagine of, just a side of a lovely centuries-old bridge, that makes one dreaming away and prepare for enjoying a great meal.
Just take notice, the kitchen opens at mid day and closes at two in the afternoon, then again at eight in the evening, until eleven at the latest.
You may well give a call in advance, and make sure you do not happen to getting there at a weekly closing time.
Having said that, you definitely want to taste the "crostini" with lever pâté as a starter, followed by the "bici alla carrettiera", then launch on the unbelievably state-of-art "bistecca".
People from Florence come here to have that themselves, yet they will be shy of telling you about it, as long as they usually do not show off their luxury spending habits.
You may want to get thrilled at olive oil tasting too, as well as making yourself a present by talking through wines with Riccardo, the extremely polite and competent tenant of this preferred spot of mine.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My Florentine friend took me here for a final lunch, and we had a good time, ordering a nice primo piatto of ravioli with spinach, ricotta and a carcioffi salsa. The real reason why you come to such a place however is to try the infamous bistecca alla fiorentina, the t-bone steak, cooked bloody over a wood fire oven. It didn't disappoint, and was sufficient for the both of us. We continued to eat, trying the zuppa inglese for desert, which was one of the best that I have tried. Price is a little on the more expensive side if you order the bistecca and other things, but for a once in a life time thing, I have no regrets.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

For two people, we split a soggy crostini dish; one of us had a small fillet and the other a pasta dish; one of us had a pear for dessert. With mediocre wine we paid over 85 Euro. I've been there with Italians before and got much more for less. In short, go with someone local or be prepared to be overcharged. Food is very good quality, except for antipasti.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We ate here for my anniversary and we really enjoyed it. We both live in Florence and are always on the lookout for new places, especially for dinner and this was a recommendation from a friend. The place itself is very rustic, style of an old trattoria and I really like that. The waiters were very nice and helpfuly and treated us continuously with excellent service.

We both got the option of the cold buffet as an antipasto, then treated ourselves to a very succulent bistecca fiorentina ( Florentine steak) which was cooked perfectly and really tasty. We got two sides - fried zucchini & white beans, dessert ( panna cotta) half liter of house wine and water.

For two people we paid about a 100 euros, the only negative point is the very overly-expensive coperto ( 3 euros a person... - I have never seen in such a trattoria) and water was costly. If these two things cost a little less, we would eat here all of the time because the food is quite good.

Perfect for a special occasion.. enjoy!

2  Thank GirlInFlorence
Reviewed July 22, 2012

It really was. The antipasta was to die for and the gnoochi the best ever. The wine was wonderful and our waiter helped us translate the menu without being impatient. They all treated us like special family. We were important to them and you could tell.

It was an 18.50euro taxi ride each way and I would pay it again and again just to eat here over and over. How can I impress upon you the need to go here? I would say it is medically necessary for you to ingest this food. It was the best.

1  Thank Travelswell4fun