“Talk about Room with a View...”
Review of Al Duomo

Al Duomo
Ranked #320 of 672 Florence B&B and Inns
Exeter GB
“Talk about Room with a View...”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We didn't stay in the alduomo BandB but in the self-catering apartment owned by the same couple a few minutes walk away. I would highly recommend this. The apartment has a little terrace which has the most astonishing unobstructed close-up view of the cathedral dome.This is impressive during the day but magical at night when the dome is floodlit. I found myself getting up occasionally just to check it was still there.

The apartment is on the top floor of a restored old building, with a lift to the third floor and then maybe 15 further steps up to the top. it is very well-equipped, with a full kitchen, so that you are not beholden to the city restaurants and can live like a real local for a few days. There is a quite famous grocery one minute away and the main city food market is maybe 10 minutes' walk.

In February the apartment was beatifully warm and a welcome haven after all the art. The hostess and host were great. Despite being in the heart of the city there was no noise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rogeroos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a single traveler on a budget, I was happy in my little room with the bathroom right outside the door in the hall. Breakfast was plentiful. I went in May 2012 and it was very warm in my room. There was no open-able window or fan. Others might find this walk-in closet "feel" to be too tight, but I was there to enjoy Florence, not the room. I should add there are other rooms with windows, double-beds, etc. They looked very nice. This B&B is right across from the Duomo -- you couldn't beat the location. I would definitely go back. Guido and Maria are great!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Nancy-AVL
Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I chose Al Duomo for our three-day visit to Florence because it was affordable and centrally located. We would return because we found Guido and Maria to be the best hosts we had in a our three-week trip to Italy - friendly and attentive.

Breakfast was simple but very good and Guido makes excellent cappuccino and espresso.

The location can not be beat. Walking distance from the Duomo, David, Uffizi, Santa Croce and everything else you would want to see in Florence.

It is not a luxurious stay and I wish the bed had been a little more comfortable but the room was clean, quiet and rather large. After leaving, we missed Guido almost as much as we missed Florence itself.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carl D
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at Al Duomo for 2 nights in April 2012. We got off to a bad start - we came from Nice via train and arrived 3-4 hours later than expected, dripping wet on the doorstep of Al Duomo, and after ringing the bell countless times, realized noone was home! We called Guido and Maria and they rushed over and apologized profusely while telling us that we didn't, in fact, have a booking with them. Apparently husband dearest had not responded to their last email hence they had let their room go. But being the amazing hosts they were, they told us they would not turn us away under any circumstances. They gave us a room for the night and moved us to an apartment the following day with the downside of no breakfast.

The room in their main B&B was lovely - large and clean, with a small but tidy bathroom and an excellent view of the Duomo. The apartment was a bit of an issue though - it was closer to Al Duomo but the building had no elevator so my husband had to drag the suitcases up 2 very steep flights of stairs. Plus the apartment was a two-bedroom unit with a shared bathroom and kitchen. However, we never came across the other couple (wonder if there was someone there even).

I would highly recommend the apartment for people who wish to stay for longer periods - there was a large lounge area and attached kitchen and there are plenty of eateries as well as the weekend market when you step out.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the Duomo - phenomenal view because of the proximity
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flucky
Florence
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Centrally located - within easy walking distance of both the train station and most of the tousit attractions in Florence. Comfortable rooms. Charming hosts.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at this lovely little B and B while visiting family in Florence. Weren't sure what to expect but most of the reviews were positive so we had high hopes and were not disappointed. Guido and Mariagioconda were extremely welcoming hosts and could not have been more helpful. The room was spacious and comfortable - perhaps not luxurious but excellent value. Breakfast was delicious, especially Guido's coffee. Maria booked us a wonderful trip to the Cinque Terre which was a highlight of our stay. I'm pleased to see that most of the reviews on here are positive - I can only assume the negative reviewers were having a bad day. To Guido and Maria we would like to say Tante grazie per la vostra gentilezza, speriamo di rivedervi fra poco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nigel S
Swift Current, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I nice B&B for solo traveler. Maria and Guido were great hosts. The breakfasts were very good. They both were very helpful and informative when I had concerns. You can easily get around to all the top sites on foot from this location if you are moderately fit.

Room Tip: My room was okay for me as I only used it to sleep in. There was a TV and you share a bathroom with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo