“Authentic, cheap, no frills!”
Review of La Ghiotta

La Ghiotta
Ranked #574 of 2,927 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is no fancy restaurant however it is, I assume, more representative of normal eating habits than many tourist oriented restaurants. It's a family oriented place (with babies being taken behind the bar to watch the pizza making process and pet dogs sitting on stools at the bar) that prides itself on pastas and pizzas (only at night). For anyone on a budget, two pizzas, two beers, one green salad and two big bottles of water cost us 20.50 € The two pizzas could have been stretched to feed 3! We ate simple but very tasty fresh food here and wouldn't hesitate to return!

1  Thank bcnfoodie

Reviewed December 8, 2010

I decided to take my husband to this place despite the fact that a good friend warned me that the food was good, but the service is bad. After living in Italy or 2.5 years you get used to bad service but the service at the Ghiotta was ridiculous, they literally took away my husband plate after they serve it to give the dish to other client without even apologizing. If you are masochistic, and enjoyed being mistreated then this is the place for you.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

I think the thing that my husband and I like the most about this place is the authenticity. It is FULL of local Florentines that want good food at a good price- and La Ghiotta delivers just that. Although their pasta and soups are good, my favorite is the tagliata (beef steak) over rucola (arugula) because it is served very tender and hot (as it should be). Although this dish is not exactly "cheap" it IS cheaper than what you find at most other places.

At night (and only at night) they serve very good pizza. Our favorite is the diavola (really spicy sausage). Again, the cost is quite reasonable. Since the location of this trattoria is not exactly in the center, their tends to be less tourists and more locals. Right next door to La Ghiotta is the Caffe Sant' Ambrogio bar where you can get an after-dinner drink and people-watch in the piazza, which is usually full of locals in the evenings. The Sant' Ambrogio church is also there.

Reviewed March 24, 2010

The only reason we did not eat there all 6 nights of our trip was they were closed on Monday. Great food, at a great value. Two can very easily be filled up with very good food for under 30 euro. Lots of colorful locals. Half the fun is watching the staff get after each other. Max is a machine at the pizza oven, the chef in back makes up great steaks and pastas/sauces, and Mauricio might be one of the all time great waiters. We were treated like regulars after just a couple visits by both staff, and regular customers. Not being able to eat there might be what I miss the most about Florence. It was like having dinner with a huge group of friends every night. I can't imagine going any where else to eat.

1  Thank bigsemi
Reviewed December 7, 2009

This is a neighborhood place where tourists are rare. Most people who came in seemed to be known by name, but we felt welcome too. The waiters are young and enthusiastic, and our was happy to translate the menu for us. He was also kind enough to warn us against ordering too much: the portions are large.

After ordering, we were brought a complimentary rosemary foccacia, which was delicious. My ravioli was hearty and flavorful, and my partner's seafood pasta was excellent. For main courses, the bacalau (salt cod in tomato sauce) was excellent. My beef with mushrooms turned out to be an unevenly cooked Florentine steak, but it was not bad. Desserts looked very tempting, especially the homemade honey cake, but we had no room left.

The house wine was good, and it was fun to watch the interactions in the restaurant: the couple with a new baby that everyone wanted to hold, the young couples greeting each other as they came in, etc. We would definitely go back.

The restaurant is closed on Mondays, and it closes between lunch and dinner.

1  Thank TMPM75