“Great host, great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ponte Vecchio

Ponte Vecchio
Ranked #226 of 422 Hotels in Florence
rio
“Great host, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Ponte Vecchio for 2 nights in February 2013. Great location, we loved our room overlooking a canal and two old bridges. The bed was comfortable, we had our own bathroom across the hall, which was no problem since the place is quite small. we never bumped into other guests going to the bathroom. Mattia was very helpful, suggesting great restaurants and must see attractions. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Check out was easy, we could leave our luggage until our late afternoon train. I will recommend this place to friends who will soon visit Venice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Florence last July. Along with the Duomo and Michaelangelo's David, the Ponte Vecchio (meaning "old bridge") is one of the most recognizable landmarks in this city. Built in 1345, the bridge was the only one to survive demolition by the Germans as they retreated from Florence. Apparently, legend tells us, Hitler expressly ordered his army not to destroy the bridge. Florence has a penchant for expensive quality goods and you'll see that extravagantly displayed in the many shops that line the Ponte Vecchio, a tradition that goes back many centuries. Legend also tells us that in the early years, merchants displayed their wares on tables for a fee. If they were unable to pay that fee, soldiers would come and break their tables and from these incidents originated the idea of being "bankrupt". The Ponte provides so many fantastic views that you'll want to take pictures of it from almost any angle. It's also a great place for couples to enjoy its romantic ambiance.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan M
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My first view of the bridge was from a terrace just up the river. The Arno was a bit of surprise because, for some reason, I thought it was a much wider river.

As you walk over to the Ponte Vecchio, you make a 90 degree turn and suddenly find yourself actually ON the bridge which was a bit of surprise. The view up and down the river are very nice and I found the bridge to be more "homey" than "spectacular". Of course, in speaking of the history, one reverses those adjectives.

Except for the open galleries overlooking the river, the bridge is also lined with souvenir and goldshops. The roadway was also narrower than I expected--I guess I fell into the logical fallacy that "if it's historically important, it must be pretty big at the same time" (laughing at myself).

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WildCanadian
Birkirkara, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

If you visit Florence you must visit Ponte Vecchio, it is very beautiful like you can see in the pictures but it is very expensive to buy from the gold shops surrounding the bridge. You will most likely enjoy live music by a local musician who comes to play for those few that come to enjoy the bridge for what it is. Legend has it that if lovers place a lock on the Ponte Vecchio and toss the key into the Arno River, their love will last forever.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eleonora M
London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,159 helpful votes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Tip 1: Yes, this is a tourist-trap destination. If you have too much money then this is a place for you to buy Italian goods like jewellery and gold.

Tip 2: There is really nothing much to see except taking pictures of the bridge and then leave the site. I wouldnt suggest anyoe to spend more than an hour at this site.

Tip 3: There are restaurants on the near the bridge but they are all way too over-priced.

Tip 4: To be honest, it is really a site that i would ever go once in my life and thats it. I won't visit this place ever again not because i have bad experience. Its just because its way too touristy.

If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Hungary_Peace
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ponte Vecchio is a must see in Florence, but not a must spend time at. I love the view of the bridge from various points along the river and love the views from the bridge too.

If you are out to spend money on jewelry, there are many shops at your disposal.

Its often very crowded which takes away from some of the charm. Unless you plan to shop a lot I wouldn't plan to need a lot of time here. I would pick a good part of the day to get a photo of the bridge. It's also very nice at night.

There are a few places around to eat at once off the bridge, but the area really closes up by 8pm. It took us over 40 minutes to find a cab that would actually take us to our hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crazynello01
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I feel bad for waiting so long to write this review (we actually stayed here in March 2011)because I frequently rely on other people's reviews when selecting a hotel. Alas, better late than never!

Our stay at Pote Vecchio was wonderful. The room FAR EXCEEDED our expectations. While it was a little difficult to find, once we made it, we were in heaven. I wish we could have stayed for more than just one night. The room was impeccably clean, had a well-stocked kitchenette, and was decorated in a comfortably modern decor. We'll definitely stay here again if we make it back to Florence.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple