All reviewsgreat locationmain sitestrain stationrooms are cleanhostelbedswifiduomoheartmap
Reviewed May 3, 2017

The hostel is located in the very city center, five minutes from the train station and all the main sites.
The staff is friendly and helpful, rooms are clean, the view from the window fantastic. We've stayed there for 2 nights and were very satisfied with the quality of service.
Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2017 via mobile

This hostel feels like staying over a friend's place is it is a renovated apartment.

The entry has lots of stairs. A really good looking guy helped me to bring my staircase up.

It is is the heart of Florence and the markets and as soon as you walk out you are in the heart of the action.

The rooms are really nice and clean and the reception has a lot of old vintage Italian style wood ornate furniture.

The Oma there who is the mother of owner of the hostel treats all the young travelers like her children and she will happily make you breakfast, tisk tisk you if you want to sleep in all day. Everyone has to be put at 11 for cleaning

Great location and warm hospitality

Stayed: April 2016, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2016

Well all i can say is i was very impressed. i have only ever stayed in a hostel back in my teens, I'm in my 30's now and used to more refined accommodation. However i was blown away with Room 5 in this hostel with its comfort and styling.
First of all I will point out that it is hard to identify from the outside and you are confronted with 5 flights of steps to get to the reception, but hey it keeps you fit.
The owner does have limited English but enough to get you buy, a few people have said she is rude but actually she has the role of Mamma, so she likes to keep her guests organised.
to the room, if your lucky enough to have room 5 then you have hit the ballseye. the room is lovely, it is a big tall ceilinged room with a beautiful views of the city. it sleeps 6 with 3 beds and wardrobe space downstairs, with a mezzanine floor with 3 further single beds. the decor is modern with silhouette of marilyn monroe and other 50's icons. the bathroom is located within the room, made up of a substantial shower with good pressure a toilet bidet and sink.
The room was air conditioned from 6pm till 8am, so again for the price this was amazing.
other reviews complained about bed bugs??? no evidence of this, i was bitten by mosquitos though but hey that was my fault for not taking precautions.
The location of the Hostel is smack bang in the middle, 20 mins taxi ride or bus journey from the airport. walking distance to all sites so a fabulous location
Overall |I was very impressed with this accommodation and would book again and recommend to all.

Room Tip: try and book room 5
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank Polly S
Reviewed August 23, 2016 via mobile

We loved this place when we first got there: great location couldn't get closer to the duomo for how cheap it was. Everything went downhill from there. The AC never reached the loft we were sleeping on, so we sweat all night long. The "breakfast" was coffee and tiny cookies. Staff was rude and hardly spoke English. Kicked everyone out between 11-3pm for "cleaning". We thought mosquitos were eating us alive, but it turns out we have severe allergic reactions to bed bugs, which infested both of our beds. Infuriated, we asked for a refund, but they tried to blame the bed bugs on us and gave us zero compensation. They said this happens all the time and isn't their fault. We spent the rest of our last day in Florence quarantining all our stuff at a laundromat instead of exploring museums, nuking everything on high heat in the washer and dryer, and dousing everything else (shoes, books, cameras, everything) in vodka. When we checked out, the staff "sanitized" our beds and two new people moved into our spots the very same day. The staff said nothing about the bed bugs to them. They were told to check the beds by other people in the hostel and everyone in our room found their mattresses crawling in bed bugs. A guy from a different floor had welts all over his body too, but he thought it was just a bad reaction to sea food. They have never returned my emails or contacted me in apology or for compensation. Please don't stay here. It was the worst thing that happened during our entire trip throughout Italy and we hope no one else will ever have to deal with this incompetent hostel ever again.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled with friends
3  Thank renee3210
Reviewed August 22, 2016 via mobile

After arriving on our overnight train, we made out way to the hostel. My friends and i were understanding of the check in time at 2pm so when we arrived at 8am we were expecting to freshen up, leave our bags in the baggage room and explore florence until check in.

Wowee were we in for a surprise. We were greeted by a little older lady who spoke not one word of english, speaking rather agressively and in a rushing tone. She was hurrying us up, forbidding us to brush our teeth or simply use the bathroom, claiming she only had a staff bathroom for staff only. She was basically screaming at us.

Her shockingly rude attitude first thing in the morning pretty much killed the mood for the remainder of my stay at emerald palace.

Few more things about this place:
- no air conditioning
- advertised laundry service, however was declined the service when asked
- street noises project into rooms
- no elevator (stairs are quite steep)
- they processed through the total amount of our stay onto my credit card without my consent or knowing
- there were stains on the bedsheets

I definitely would not stay here again.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled with friends