“Great location but rude manager” 3 of 5 bubbles

Florence Youth Hostel
Florence Youth Hostel
Ranked #205 of 295 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location but rude manager”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The location is perfect, you can walk everywhere. The manager was quite rude and unfriendly but the other staff was really helpful and informative. There were only two shared bathrooms which was sometimes inconvenient, and the showers were tiny. The rooms themselves were very old fashioned, you have to get lucky with your room. I stayed in a four bed dorm with a window facing the street that was really nice, but my friends stayed in a very cramped and uncomfortable four bed dorm on the other side of the hostel. There wasn't really a main common area but we still met some of the best people in this hostel of our entire 3.5 months trip in Europe.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank liangja

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

On our Italian tour, we had rented a car and pretty much covered Italy from Sorrento to Venice and back to Naples. We had booked B&Bs in each place we stayed. Sorrento, Rome, Florence and Venice. All were nice, friendly and no negative surprises as we had done a proper research before choosing them. However, there was one I would like to mention as my favorite as the surprise we got there was so positive. This was Residence La Contessina Hotel in Florence. It could not be better located in the heart of Florence and the accommodations were very nice as they gave us something like a split level apartment (We were a family of 4) The staff, Sara and Stancio were particularly helpful with a minor issue I had with an airline ticket. But best of all was the breakfast spread (included) that was by far the most complete a tastefully presented of all places we stayed at. And it was not the priciest of all. They even had a car park at a discounted price. I highly recommend La Contessina in Florence.

Room Tip: Always check location so you may walk to most places of interest, don't spend to much in accommo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank apark50
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The best thing about this hostel is the location! It is within walking distance to all of the main attractions in Florence - with many bars, restaurants, and transport also very close.

Overall the hostel was clean and comfortable with large rooms. Maybe a little expensive for what it is, but it is right in the heart of a main city. There were 4 rooms on our floor, with two bathrooms and our own kitchen, computer and wifi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Provo, Utah, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I had a good experience with this hostel overall, but I was able to stay in a hotel in Venice for the same price. It was clean and it felt more like a home. The staff was helpful, and I got free breakfast each morning even though they usually charge 2.5 euro. The room was clean and cozy and I actually had the best sleep here because the bed was very comfy. However, it was the least social hostel I have ever stayed at. It was frustrating that they had a 10-2 lockout in order to clean, but we were site seeing all day anyway. I feel like I could have found a better price, but the location was great since it was right next to the duomo.

Provo, Utah, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Overall our stay at the hostel was average but if you're looking for the absolute best I wouldn't say this is it. We really enjoyed our stay and had no complaints but it's not very social and the atmosphere isn't the greatest.

The facilities were fine. The rooms were big and clean. There are only two small bathrooms for the entire hostel but I never had an issue with not being able to get in when I needed to. The location is the best thing about this hostel. Located right next to one of the main plaza's and within walking distance of almost everything. They do have a lockout between 10am and 2pm everyday (meaning you have to leave and can't come back in) which is kind of annoying but not horrible. The staff was pleasant but there's a Bulgarian guy (can't remember his name) and he was fantastic. Super helpful and talked with us for over a half hour a couple of times helping us out with random things. The atmosphere was very quiet, not as social as other hostels so we were a little bummed about that.

Overall....average stay, nothing to complain about, but not amazing.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Overall our stay at the hostel was reasonably pleasant.
I would advise caution here, though, as there were many aspects to our stay that came as a surprise, or were not conducted in the way we had expected.
First of all, the facilities at the hostel were generally good, and the bunk bedrooms were standard for a European hostel- cleanliness was good, and the location was excellent.
However, the lock out between 10am and 2pm each day was quite inconvenient and frankly a little disconcerting. Also, there was only one shared bathroom for several rooms which included one toilet and shower, in the same small room, which was seldom available. We found this a little strange. Also, we were surprised on arrival to be informed we would have to stay one night in a bunk room with another person- despite having booked a private room. As three young girls travelling, with previous experience with a shared bunk room that had left us feeling unsafe, we were not happy with this situation, but with no other option, we simply had to go with it. After being in very regular email contact regarding the booking- right up until the day of our arrival, I felt we could have been informed of this ahead of time. Also, despite having agreed on a specific arrival time, we had to wait in the street to be let in for a while- long enough to fear there was nobody in. When we were finally let in, we were also informed we would have to leave our room key with reception at the beginning of each day, which we found strange. and the payment could only be in cash- another warning sign.
One incident occurred to give us further concerns about the place on the first night. In the middle of the night, whilst all the residents of the room were sleeping and accounted for, my friend was woken by what was clearly somebody coming into the room, and leaving again soon after. We were left to assume this was a member of staff coming in to collect something, perhaps? They left the door open behind them for the rest of the night, and frankly we found it quite strange and invasive that this would even occur.
The location was really the best this place had to offer, and it was excellent- we felt right in the centre of things. However overall the feeling of the place was perhaps a little shifty, there were many hidden costs not made clear from the outset, and a lot of the time we felt like we weren't getting the whole truth. Not the same safety and security you get with large hostel chains.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I haven't been in a hostel for ages, so I can just compare this hostel to the ones I saw back in 2002!
Anyway, there's no better location in Florence in my opinion. I slept 4 nights in this hostel and I found it very convenient because it was close to everything. Our 4 bed room, number 1, was on the first floor and so it was a bit noisy, but if you sleep in a hostel you should know that earplugs are your best friends :)
breakfast was good and the staff was very very kind and helpful.
I will advice this hostel to my friends.