“The Best restaurant in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Profeta

Il Profeta
Ranked #432 of 2,680 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
“The Best restaurant in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were in Italy for about 2 weeks and ate at so many great restaurants, this one topped the list. The Owner was so nice to us and you could see how much he loved his restaurant. The food was simply Amazing! we tries so many different things on the menu and everything was great. 100% recommend this restaurant. There are a bunch a great restaurants in Florence but Il Profeta is a cant miss.

• Visited November 2012

• Turkish first
USA
“The food was good and Claudio made this great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The owner here is so nice and hospitable, and he let us in fairly late (I am not sure when it closes but we were there around 9:30) - via the St. Regis concierge (who sends a lot of people here I think). The menu looked so good that we couldn't decide what we wanted (at least 5 things were tied for first place), and Claudio was helping us decide - so finally we made up our minds only to have the two entrees we didn't get appear for free! I can't remember if they were full size or just tasting sizes - but I couldn't believe he did that for us.

The place is a bit expensive because I think (if I remember right) they charge 10% and also a service fee that probably included the bread. Water was probably extra. Anyway, it was not cheap.

I saw a few other people eating these enormous steaks that looked 5 full pounds or something. The prices on those were in the 40-60 euro range. They also had huge fish portions which looked delicious, but they just ran out by the time we got in. Those were somewhat pricey too, so I was happy with splitting a pasta and having eggplant. My friend had a special that was beef in a heavy balsamic - which he loved - it was VERY basamic-y (like Claudio said it was) so I just tried a little piece. We split ravioli and then I had the chicken under the brick which was good. I liked their bread and olive oil a lot too.

Claudio was the nicest, most personable waiter / owner / host of any restaurant I ate at in Italy. He must have described the specials (in great detail) 100 times that day already, but he had the energy like we were his first customers...and to bring us the things we didn't order (but wanted) for free...amazing. I can't remember the last time someone described food in such a way that made me want to order everything on the menu.

1 Thank Inverary09
Scottsdale, AZ
“Not as good as we were led to believe, and all tourists at 8 p.m.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were advised to dine at this restaurant by friends whose parents have been dining there for 30+ years. The decor of the restaurant is nice and the service is typically professional Italian. The food was what I can only call average, and we were glad to avoid the heavily touted "John Travolta special", which looked disappointing for the high price charged.

When dining in Italy, we prefer to be among locals. The whole of the restaurant was full of Americans, English and Koreans until we were about to leave at 10 p.m. Then a few Italians started to show up.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank markjay
Portland
“A lovely evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was one of several recommendations we received and chose to dine. It's the only restaurant we are reviewing. All the staff were wonderful. It helps when the owner is working on site in the front of the house. So after exploring the menu, we asked the waiter for suggestions and I must say he was spot on. Two appetizers, a pasta, two mains and one dessert along with a gorgeous Super Tuscan and we were quite fulfilled and only too happy to walk back and pile into our bed at the hotel. We did not order a steak and were disappointed we had not when we saw it on the table next to ours, but our dishes were so well prepared and nicely presented, we really lacked for nothing. And now we have another reason to visit this little gem when we are in Florence next.

2 Thank PDXStocks
Des Plaines
“Overrated, Overpriced, and Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by friends and family. We were not aware it was as pricey as it is, but decided to sit back and try to enjoy a nice meal. We were disappointed. We ordered the house red wine, and it was the worst house wine we had in over two weeks in Italy. On the positive side, the cappelaci with pear and cheese first course was outstanding. We asked what the special pasta was, and were told the sauce ingredients is a "house secret". That's fine, but we have some food allergies so stayed away. Besides, at $29 euros for pasta, we figured steak was a better option. We were wrong...the Steak Florentine was a lousy piece of meat. Towards the end of our meal, our waiter actually left the restaurant, leaving another gentleman to finish up with us. We were disappointed and would not go back.

2 Thank Bill S