“Best Tiramisu this Foodie has EVER enjoyed!”
Review of Il Profeta

Il Profeta
Ranked #372 of 2,823 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband, two kids (5,9) and I enjoyed a delicious meal at Il Profeta in the spring of 2012. The service was kind and attentive, to boot. I have encouraged friends who're traveling to Florence to dine here, as the whole experience will be wonderful.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Having eaten and thoroughly enjoyed Il Profeta 3 years ago when on a tour, we were on a 1 day tour to Florence from our cruise and my wife insisted on eating lunch at Il Profeta. We arrived at the restaurant at 1200 and were the only patrons at the time. We were disappointed that Claudio the owner was not in but the waiter said he usually comes in at dinner only. We ordered the dishes that we loved from our last visit. Pasta with seafood and pasta with wild boar meat sauce. After finishing our appetizers, who should come in but Claudio. He came by to talk to us and thanked us for coming back after many years. Then the graciousness started. He sent us a wonderful pasta dish with their famous Il Profeta sauce. Yumm. After our entrees which were great as usual. Claudio sent us their wonderful tiramesu with the delicious vanilla cream sauce. My wife was overjoyed.

Great Job Claudio and Il Profeta! When in Florence recommend everyone try this remarkable restaurant and its food. Claudio is a gem!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was a small restaurant that was recommended to us by a friend. Needless to say, we really appreciated the recommendation. We ordered 2 appetizers, the brushetta and zucchini flowers, both of which were delicious. I order the lemon pasta, which was very rich in lemon flavor and might be too much for some, but I personally found to be very enjoyable. My friend ordered their special pasta, which was very good as well.

Our waiter insisted upon reading us the menu, which was rather unnecessary, but slightly comical. Also, he would not allow us to order our wine until we had made our dinner selection first. The owner was just the nicest person and very personable. He made casual conversation with us throughout the night and made sure we were always happy with our food. They allowed us to try a new green olive-oil, that we almost literally licked off the plate it was so good. After our meal, they brought us a complimentary desert, tiramisu, that melted in your mouth!

Be sure to make a reservation, they were very busy.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Close to our hotel (Montebello splendide), food all delicious. Mostly tourists here, but Florence at night is mostly visitors anyway. This restaurant has been in business many years, and they are always busy. Have your concierge make a reservation. We did find they encouraged you to order more than what you wanted, but also they brought little extras to sample. They want you to enjoy your eating experience.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The service was so pushy and fast that the food almost did not matter. There was no one waiting, but we were rushed throughout. The waiter insisted on reading the entire menu to us in as speedy a manner as possible. We would have preferred to quietly read and ask questions. We explained that, but the waiter insisted.

The "heavenly" pasta that is there specialty was good, but that may have just been the butter and cream talking. My dinner companion was up all night with an upset stomach, but I was fine. We ate the same things, but it was too rich for her.

They were insistent on our trying the special olive oil with dry bread. Award winning olive oil. Somehow, they pushed so hard that it seemed worse than it would have been if we had simply asked for olive oil and enjoyed it.

We were seated by a fascinating couple, but realized early that we were in the American room. Most of the Americans were people that I would have separated from my preferred guests, too. Still, that made for a feeling of being lumped together and insulted that I did not like.