“Annoying service but good food.”
Review of Il Profeta

Il Profeta
Ranked #403 of 2,782 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The service was so pushy and fast that the food almost did not matter. There was no one waiting, but we were rushed throughout. The waiter insisted on reading the entire menu to us in as speedy a manner as possible. We would have preferred to quietly read and ask questions. We explained that, but the waiter insisted.

The "heavenly" pasta that is there specialty was good, but that may have just been the butter and cream talking. My dinner companion was up all night with an upset stomach, but I was fine. We ate the same things, but it was too rich for her.

They were insistent on our trying the special olive oil with dry bread. Award winning olive oil. Somehow, they pushed so hard that it seemed worse than it would have been if we had simply asked for olive oil and enjoyed it.

We were seated by a fascinating couple, but realized early that we were in the American room. Most of the Americans were people that I would have separated from my preferred guests, too. Still, that made for a feeling of being lumped together and insulted that I did not like.

There are newer reviews for Il Profeta

Reviewed October 31, 2012

this is a kind of small restaurant, very humble, but the food was amazing. i love the pasta with asparagus and panacotta. the service was great, the waiter explained everything very well and they gave me so many extra food. definitely one of my fave restaurant when i lived in Firenze.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We made reservations and were greeted at the door by Claudio, who seated us. He was very cordial and immediately was able to engratiate my wife and I. He asked in several languages which we spoke, and of course told him English, which he spoke quite well. He explained the menu to the smallest print, dotted each "i" and crossed each"t". We ordered some based on his recommendations and others on what looked good to us. We had the mixed Tuscan appetizer, which was great, even the potato strings that were for garnishment. I had John Travolta;s favorite-Profeta pasta with some wonderful pink sauce, not sure if John really likes it, and it was great. My wife had the tomato and spice pasta, and she loved it, too spicey for me. My entre was great, Veal Scaloppini and my wife's was Veal Limone, which was too lemony for her. She wanted a half bottel of wine, and they brought out three wines for her to taste and choose from, which was great. She liked the Chianti Classico, not sure of the winery. The deserts were great, my wife had the Profeta tiramisui, and she loved it. So all was nice, it is not cheap, but if you want a personal treatment and good food, then this is a most wonderful place to go. I am now back in support of Italian ristorante's, after a couple of losers in Venice. Thanks to all that review these, for that is how to find ones that are a nice evening and make the vacation enjoyable.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

On our Honeymoon, which started out in Paris. We had great meals in Paris, but we did pay a great price. Il Profeta was recommended by our Hotel and the this place does it right. Great service, authentic feel, very reasonable prices and the food and house wine is AWESOME! I could not complain about a thing, but I wish I had a bigger stomach!!! Oh, yeah... It was so good, that we are going back tonight!

1  Thank jaautowerks
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The food was outstanding and the service was especially wonderful. Many choices of authentic food. The owner was so charming and welcoming and there were several diners whom were regulars.