“If I was dying and was to be given one last meal, I would request it be from Zio GiGi”
Review of Zio Gigi

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Washington DC
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Zio GiGi was recommended to us by The proprietor of the Hotel Dali where we were staying. Very close to the Duomo, this trattoria is by far the freshest, well prepared food I have had. The prices are beyond reasonable, and the atmosphere is casually relaxed. The owner is a fascinatingly entertaining character. He breaks out into loud Italian songs, ops himself down to guests tables and chats with them, and gives so much life to the atmosphere that you know you are in a true Italian trattoria where love for food and entertaining shows through in the food. When something is done with love it cannot be duplicated by mere mimicry, it is original and shows. Zio GiGi prepares the food fresh and with care that shows what real Italian food tastes like when it comes from the heart. My wife and I have now been traveling throughout Europe for 18 days, and the food from GiGi's has topped any meal we have had in our travels.

2 Thank deadeyedhooker

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Monti sent me”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I asked Monti, the manager of my hotel, Allessandra where does he like to eat ? Without hesitation he said, " Gigi " and drew the path from the hotel to Zio Gigi on the place mat style map that all hotels in Italy have at their front desks. While drawing, Monti went on to say, "Good food, not expensive and nice people, I eat there 2-3 times a week" When I arrived, I discovered that Zio Gigi had good food, that was not too expensive, and very nice people. The waiter spoke very good English. And this is an issue for me because I thought I spoke reasonable Italian,....until I arrived in Italy. Every time I spoke Italian, people would reply in English ?? I had cheese filled ravioli, salad, bread, bottle of water and a slice of cake. All for 18 Euro and I was full.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Greg B
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,395 helpful votes
“Top tip for visiting Zio Gigi”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Tip 1: This restaurant was recommended by the owner of Dali Hotel (Florence, Italy). The food was truly authentic and of good quality. It is a bit expensive in my honest opinion although a lot of reviews mentioned that the dishes were reasonably priced.

Tip 2: We ordered a beef Carpaccio €9, Spaghetti Ragu €7 and Tomato and mushroom penne €8. Don’t forget if you dine in a restaurant in Italy, cover charge per person is €2 (max). The bill added up to €28. Not cheap for a normal dinner. The meal was very authentic but you can find cheaper meals in Florence that is as good too.

Tip 3: If you have read all the reviews and decided to visit the restaurant, then please go as early as possible. Just wait outside the door at 7pm sharp.

Tip 4: Will visit again if I am craving for authentic Italian food but will not go all the way out just to have a meal there.

Tip 5: Maybe it was the way we asked the waitress about the bread we were given, the Tuscan bread had a black color burnt bit on it and we asked her if she could change a new one for us. Instead she was very offended and told us off: 'trust me, the bread is not stale, its fine'. And she scurried away with an attitude. We didn't touch the bread at all. It wasn't the best experience but the food was certainly on par with other good Italian restaurants. If i were to compare, i will go back to Trattoria Mario (read my review) instead of Zio Gigi

If you think my reviews have been helpful to you, please click 'Yes' for 'Was this review helpful?'

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank TravelQueenie365
Athens, Greece
“Don't miss it!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Probably one of the most enjoyable places to eat good Italian food - excellent in every aspect:
variety of plates, quality of food, service and atmosphere. We enjoyed so much that we went for two consecutive nights out of the four we stayed in Florence! The restaurant is very relaxed, with excellent English speaking service and very good quality food (and wine - try the red house wine).

• Visited December 2012
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Great local experience and food!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We found this place by chance and we gave a try for a lunch during our New Year's holiday in Firenze. Beside the food, very good steak and tagliata, the very big plus of Osteria Zio Gigi is the family environment that Zio Ciro and the ladies serving are creating with all their customers, no matter if local frequent visitors or one time tourists. Even if always busy and running for serving, they are always nice, kind and up for a chat or a funny joke with everyone. Very suggested, do not miss it!