“Our Trip to Montalcino”
Review of Tuscan Trails

Tuscan Trails
Ranked #19 of 167 Food & Drink in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Daily semi-private and private Tuscan wine tours and adventures. Florence's first and best wine tour of its kind. Tuscan Trails offers wine tours in the Chianti, Montalcino and Montepulciano regions (and others upon request). Enjoy one of our small, mixed group wine tours into the Chianti or create a private tour with just your group. Your guide is a native English speaking, bilingual resident of florence, fully licensed and trained as a sommelier in Tuscany. We can also provide driver and transfer services.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Prior to leaving for our trip to Italy we contaced Todd at Tuscan Trails to see if he would be interested in taking us on a tour of the Brunello wine Region in Montalcino. Several years ago we took a tour with Todd in the Chianti region and had an excellent experience. Todd was up for the long day and we were ecstatic. He picked us up early that morning and off we went. We toured two beautiful wineries, and enjoyed lunch with wine pairings at the first one. Since our first tour with Todd he has completed his training as a Sommelier and was very anxious to share as much information as he could about the Brunello wine region. We learned about the Sangiovese grape, how it differs from the Sangiovese grapes of Chianti. Todd explained how the grapes are grown, how the vines are trimmed, the climate and the rules (required by the government), when making the wine, so it can be called and registered as a Brunello wine. It was an absolutely fantastic day. Then to top it off Todd surprised us on the way home and stopped at a very old abbey. We were thrilled to see Mass had just begun and we were there to listen to the Monks "sing" the mass in Latin. Todd's personality, his knowledge and his passion for what he does makes this tour a must. Don't miss this! We can't wait for our next trip to Italy so we can ask Todd if he would consider a trip to the Barolo wine region with us.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"pasta"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed September 26, 2012

During my 10 days in Italy (Rome, Florence, and Venice) this was hands down the most fun I had. In our small group we had the inexperienced (me) and the experienced (wine makers from Australia). I have to be honest; I was a little scared to go on the tour, having little to no knowledge about “good” wines and the wine making process. Todd made everyone feel extremely comfortable about asking any and all types of questions. Todd is an amazing and knowledgeable tour guide and I can’t say enough wonderful things about this tour. If you go to Florence, this is a MUST! I am already planning a family trip back!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We booked a personal tour well in advance for September 8th during our honeymoon and Todd was very responsive and made the booking easy and flexible. He picked us up right on time at our hotel and really planned a wonderful day. He made it clear from the start that there was no pressure to purchase anything unless we wanted to, which was comforting up front, but we couldn't help ourselves once we got started, since the tastings were so great. By the end of the day, we not only had a wonderful wine tasting and learned a lot, but also an awesome authentic lunch, and really got to know the region, as well. Todd was really personable too, which really made spending the day with him an absolute pleasure! I would recommend Tuscan Trails to anyone!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had an excellent day trip outside of Florence for a day of wine tasting and learning about wine. Todd was a fabulous tour guide and answered all the questions we threw at him. He was a wealth of knowledge. The wine was great, and lunch was excellent. This is a must if you go to Florence!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

This was one of our absolute favorite things we did on our entire trip to Rome, Florence and Venice. When in Florence, we were desperate for a wine tour, but did little planning ahead. We were trying to get a tour for four of us the night before we wanted to go. We stumbled upon Todd's tour after about an hour or so of searching and he happened to have four openings for us. It was the perfect find!

Todd arrived at exactly 10:00am where he planned to meet us and another couple met up with us, who were a perfect compliment to our group. (Not Todd's doing, obviously, but worked out perfectly for us!). The trip in his van up to the first winery was long, but beautiful, though I would recommend dramamine if you get car sick. I do not get car sick, but by the end even I was feeling pretty queasy.

Todd was knowledgeable about EVERYTHING wine-related and you could tell he thoroughly enjoyed what he was doing. He is laid back, funny and put up with our incessant questions beautifully. (We asked him just about everything -- not just wine -- from Roman history to what kind of trees were on the side of the road on our drive home. ha! I'm sure he was ready to be done with questions by the end of the day, but he was very gracious and patient!)

The wineries we visited were gorgeous and had delicious wine and olive oil. Todd also brought us into the vineyard at the 2nd place and let us tastes the grapes off of the vine -- amazing! The lunch we were served was one of the best meals we ate while on vacation as well. So many courses and different foods to try.

I have nothing bad to say about this tour and would have gladly paid more than 125.00 Euro for it. It was worth every penny! I have a new appreciation for wine and vineyards and would do his tour again on my  next trip to Italy (fingers crossed I go back!). I would love to do one of his private tours to Montepulciano!