“Excellent food, great value, advance booking needed, even for lunch”

Vini e Vecchi Sapori
Ranked #41 of 2,703 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Uffizi
Shanghai, China
“Excellent food, great value, advance booking needed, even for lunch”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I researched this place n tried 2 days advanced to book, for some reason no one answered, n then it's Sunday which is they off day, then I called Monday for dinner, of coz thy r fully booked, so. Decide to do lunch the following day, at 12:30.

The place is vet small, about 20 seating max, it has that warm family restaurant feeling. The menu is n Italian, hand written, there is one young guy serving the whole place, he will come to explain the menu in English if u ask. It's interesting on the menu t says, "no pizza, no ice," and another something i didn't understand... This reminds me of a article once read before about Italian restaurant, it says In a real good Italian restaurant, it won't have both pasta n pizza.

We ordered a beef carpaccio n a mix salad, the beef carpaccio is not exactly what I expected, the beef is not raw, at least it's not completely raw, it's more like the processed beef, the salad is standard salad, no surprise. But, the pasta n veal we had is amazing, the tagliatelle with duck is delicious n still makes my mouth watering now when thing of it, n the veal is so tender n juicy, but only two small slices, with marinated garlic- I don't know how they can make garlic so delicious...

There are some photos of Madonna on the wall, the young guy told me she was here in 2005, n some other photos, maybe Italian celebrities that I'm not familiar with...the table next to us said they tried to come here for three times n finally just made it too... The phone ws ringing all the time during lunch, There r mix of local regular customers n tourist whom is enthusiastic about local eats-like us, this is a very interesting place to visit while u r in Florence.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
“Amazing”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Superb food, careful and attentive service, great prices and wonderful owners. We had to get reservations 1-2 days before eating on both occasions because the whole place only seats maybe 20? Best meal in Florence. Possibly best meal ever.

1 Thank Travis W
Lexington, Kentucky
“Best eats of the trip”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Lunch at this small restaurant was an experience...and a good one. Food was excellent, the humor from our waiter was outstanding, and the cost was reasonable. We were sorry that we couldn't return before leaving for home, but we will be back. It is one of those rare places that you want to come back to.

Durham, United Kingdom
“Best meal all trip”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After reading about this place on Trip Advisor it was a "must do" for us. We arrived on a Thursday and got our hotel to book us in for the Saturday evening. We got a taxi there as I'd read it can be tricky to find and we staying a little of our town but we found it no problem.

Without wanting to repeat what's already been said on here - if you are in Florence you MUST eat here one night. It's magical. The place is tiny and we loved that as you get to talk to your neighbours - mostly from the UK or US the night we were there (guess that's the power of TA!!).
Don't worry that the menu is handwritten in Italian - a waiter will explain it all to you. We just asked him to decide for us and he did us proud - a selection of cold cuts to start, wild boar ragu and ravioli as our pasta course, stuffed cabbage leaves and veal for secondi and a homemade triffle for dessert (OK by that time we had to share!).
Great value, great atmosphere.
10/10

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great Family Business and awesome food and service!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We made reservations here a few days in advance and were glad we did. We read some reviews and like many of the people said here, we told them to just make us happy haha. They provided us with a great house wine and a variety of delicious food. Outside of the food, the service and atmosphere was awesome. It is a small restaurant but it is bustling with excitement and cool decor.

The thing that really stood out to me was this one experience. After we finished up a great dinner, we paid the bill with credit card and I would have liked to leave some of a tip but only had a 50 euro bill. In the end we walked outside and were trying to get some pictures. Our server (the son) saw us outside and told us eagerly to sit down at the outside table and gave us some free lemoncello. After enjoying the great after dinner drink, I tried to ask him to break my bill so I could leave a proper tip!!! He looked at me, laughed and said "No no no, please." i tried to explain I wanted to tip and he said "I understand, happy you enjoyed". I couldn't believe after us leaving without a tip (which isn't overly odd in Europe) he not only offered us a free drink but then refused to take a tip. It was just a great experience.

• Visited June 2012