“A true Trattoria with the absolute Best Price to Quality ratio in Florence”
Review of I’Brindellone

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Description: Typical Tuscan food with soups pastas Florentine steaks
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Florence is full of Trattorias and Osterias. These are names given to more simple restaurants, those that once used to be canteens, or eateries. Like Diners to compare them with something familiar to Americans. Today the restaurants called Osteria and Trattoria tend to be rustic yet sophisticated and most of all, expensive. In most of them, especially in tourist spots, people go for the experience and for the atmosphere which recalls what in the collective imaginary, a true and rustic Italian restaurant must be like. The truth is that most Trattorias and Osterias are fancy restaurants dressed in cheap clothes. They are Disnelyands for tourists.
I Brindellone is an exception for a number of reasons. First of all, it is situated in a neighborhood, San Frediano, which is the last Italian, or better Florentine stronghold in downtown Florence. What used to be a blue-collar neighborhood today is a hip and fun area full of restaurants, bars and lounges that are frequented mainly by Italians and it is to this audience that Brindellone caters. Furthermore, lots of artisans still operate their “bottegas”, or activities in San Frediano.
To survive and prosper I Brindellone relies on return customers. This means good food, good portions and affordable prices. I’Brindellone has become the most popular neighborhood restaurant in San Frediano.
At lunch, they offer a la carte menu or a fixed menu for only 10 euro that includes a first course, second course, side dish, water or wine and coffee. Dinner is only a la carte. Their specialties are the appetizers, you must try the Coccoli (like fried bread dough) with soft cheese and soft sausage (sbriciolona). They also serve a great plate of pasta with truffles (taglierini al tartufo) which are absolutely divine. The owners both worked at the famous Latini restaurant of Florence, and it shows. When it comes to second courses I Brindellone is famous for their meat – Florentine Steak and Tagliata – and fried foods ( fried chicken, fried brains, fried zucchini flowers and fried artichoke ). The only thing that is so and so Is the house wine.
This restaurant is small and loud. It is particularly suited for a good simple time among friends. Maybe it is not the best place if one is looking for a quiet or romantic time. It’s a bit raucous at times but it’s part of the experience. There is no other place I know where one can walk out of with a belly ready to burst after having had a three course meal, including appetizer, first course, steak, side dish, dessert, wine and coffee for about 35 euro. Hard to beat!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was our favorite meal in Italy. My husband and I came in here after a nearby fruit shop recommended it. We came in at 7:30, when they just opened for dinner. The guy we spoke to said we have to leave by 9:00pm, we assumed because of reservations but then realized it was because he wanted locals to have space for themselves. This was the only negative part about this place. I daresay even a touch xenophobic with the way that he talked to us. He also wouldn't allow us to make reservations for the next day. Strange. Anyway, we started with a caprese salad and a prosciutto appetizer with these bellini type things and a kind of an Italian cream cheese. Both were delicious. Their house balsamic and olive oil were fantastic. The house wine was good too. I then had, with the waiter's recommendation (he was very nice, even translated the whole menu for us - much nicer than the dude that ran the place), the ribollita soup. BEST SOUP I HAVE EVER HAD. Hands down. Amazing. Delicious. My husband had the beef stew in tomato sauce, it was very tender and flavorful. I really hope they realize that tourists are where the money is, because that place could be a goldmine!

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Great food,a real local restaurant. Very friendly staff.good house wine.
We didn't go there until the end of our visit so only went a few times but each visit excellent!
Recommend!!!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Small menu, great quality, practically only locals.
In other words real and not expensive REAL and TASTY Tuscan food.
Go here for an awesome experience. Please stay away from the tourist traps.
I am from Florence so I definitely know something about it... ;)

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Recommended by a local friend, we want to eat the famous Fiorentina.
We had bruschetta as starter, and then fiorentina for 2 persons with a salad as side dish. The meet was very tasty and looks fresh, the level of the cook was also just perfect.
I definitely recommend this local and NON-touristic restaurant.