“Not up to Expectations”
Review of Borgo San Jacopo

Borgo San Jacopo
Reserve with
Borgo San Jacopo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #324 of 2,824 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Live Italian gourmet excellence at Michelin starred restaurant Borgo San Jacopo. Perching over the Arno, our fine dining restaurant offers a unique vantage point of Ponte Vecchio. Fall in love with the view as you sample the finest Italian dishes enhanced with innovative twists, designed by starred chef Peter Brunel. Savour the freshness and utter quality of the produce and ingredients hand-selected by the chef himself before being skilfully prepared and presented in inventive dishes. And make sure to indulge in a prestigious vintage from our selection of the best 900 labels in the cellar.
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We visited this restaurant for the second time - the last time over a year ago - on the recommendation of a local resident/friend.

We started with an aperitivo on the patio of the next door 5 star hotel. We watched the sun set on the Ponte Vecchio and I must say that this was the highlight of th night.

The restaurant seems to be elegant with interesting and creative dishes, prepared with a flair for presentation. The chef is quite good, as all of our dishes were prepared well, even if they did not arrive at the same time. I must say that this was the precursor of the night, as the service again and again failed to meet the standards that the restaurant was otherwise aiming to meet. The staff knew little about the entrees, and service was generally a problem. This was capped off by our server who did not know that they served Passito by the bottle, and then corrected herself but gave us the wrong wine list - the one that did not include many of their dessert wines. This was compounded by desserts that somehow took upwards of 20 minutes to be delivered.

Having said that, the food on the whole was quite good. The baccala was flavorful even if a bit skimpy, and the lamb was quite tender. Others commented on the excellent gazpacho, but the pork and the potato fries/scampi received some marginal comments.

Overall: high quality food, nice location and ambiance, poor service and also slow service.

1  Thank sbh858

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Everything about this place is rather wonderful. Its location on the river, the decor, the service and the food. My husband was dressed smart and I was dressed casually and another customer looked so far down her nose at me, I had to giggle.
You need really deep pockets to survive this restaurant. The menu comes without prices so you pick what you want with zero idea of what it costs - unless you memorised the prices from the pavement menu. We had two soft drinks each, we shared a starter and shared a dessert and it came to 192Euros!! Yes, ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY TWO EUROS!!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Sorry this restaurant fails to impress me. The "tasting menu" is quite accurately described...simply a taste..for €120. Most dishes seemed overly complicated and lack flavor, I don't need a "foam" with everything. The shrimp dish was awful. Dry, salty and no shrimp..well okay, 3 of them!! Service was pleasant , table gave a view of the canopy outside but no view of Florence. Left disappointed, and hungry. Have had much better meals at local family owned cafes. Not worth the money.

1  Thank cupateaaz
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was drawn into this restaurant whilst wandering quite late on a Saturday night, soon after 'discovering' the other side of the old bridge in Florence. I liked the ambience so much I immediately booked my friend and I in for dinner the following night. it was a gorgeous experience from the moment we stepped in. touches of colourful thoughtful elegance throughout. the meal was divine .. right down to the hazelnut sugar that accompanied my coffee (I couldn't fit dessert in this time, much as I would have liked to)! if price is a concern, save this place for your final night in Florence or an otherwise special occasion .. it's not cheap but it is beautiful. take yourself there and luxuriate in all that Borgo San Jacopo has to offer.

2  Thank mish6974
Reviewed April 12, 2013

As guests for the second time at Hotel Lungarno in Florence, I was thrilled to have returned to a beautifully renovated property, right on the Arno. But I was very VERY happy with an exceptional Breakfast Buffet, anything but typical as far as hotel buffets go. It closed at 11AM, and we thought we had missed it, but arrived in plenty of time to partake in a full and delicious assortment of breakfast yummies. Fresh grapefruit juice, my favorite. The scrambled eggs tasted fresh and fluffy and hot; the cheese and cold meats were moist and fresh; the berries and melon so sweet. Although I did not eat these, the granola, croissants and muffins, bacon, and other items were constantly refreshed and seemed well prepared. I am gluten-free and asked if they had any gluten-free bread for some toast. "Absolutely" I was told, and later a basket of small, adorable, freshly toasted English muffin types that were delicious. I ordered decaf and they brought it with warm cream. It tasted like real coffee! I have to add that we had a late night room service as well. The cheese/cold cut platter was out of this world and for the price! Big chunks of parmeggionia, plus another firm cheese, and 2 large fresh mozzarellas.. plenty of prosciutto, thinly sliced ham, salami...some greens..a bread basket with my have super thin parmesan bread crisps. I literally cannot wait til beakfast in the AM. And FYI, I don't typically eat breakfast :)

1  Thank Jo B