“Terrible experience..pretty good food”

Trattoria Borgo Antico
Ranked #726 of 2,926 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Well, my daughter and I were looking forward to a nice dinner...our hotel made a reservation for 8pm. We were seated at 8:20 at a terrible table 2 feet from the door which opened and closed on this cold night no less than 30 times as the wait staff was in and out for serving the outdoor patrons.
But here lies the real problem. At a table across from us was a large party of locals of 8 adults and 8 small children under 10 years old. When I tell you these kids were out of control I'm not underestimating. I thought for sure that the adults were the owners of the restaurant as they made no attempt to stop their kids from standing on the chairs,running up to the kitchen, shrieking and dancing and playing in the aisle where the waiters were walking. It was absolutely unbelievable. I spoke to the waitress and then the manager and was told they were locals and frequent patrons and this was typical. Yes this may be their bread and butter for income but it was a complete mess. These kids were banging into us and causing us to move our glasses and plates. The parents thought it was adorable that they would fall down and shriek. The management came over and apologized to us but would do nothing about it. The waitress was lovely and did her best to be diplomatic but was clearly upset. THere were no other open tables available supposedly but I saw some that were in the back. I now in hindsight wished we would have left but it was raining and we were hungry.

I spoke to the manager again on the way out and told him it was unacceptable and he said he would speak with them but I do not believe him. We were merely tourists but my 70E was wasted on an annoying evening with escalating difficulty. By the way the food was very good...I think.
Yes we may have had bad luck that night but it was also bad form on the part of management and should have been handled way better...THere were 3 other tables affected and they were clearly disturbed as well. I own a restaurant and would never have put up with this behavior from anyone, locals or not.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you want a casual, fun environment with inexpensive and absolutely delicious food, don't miss Borgo Antico. The staff is so nice and accomodating. The food is authentic, fresh and delicious. My boyfriend and I returned twice for the pizza, which was the best we've ever had in all of Italy. It's not Neopolitan and it's not Roman, but it surely is delicious and light. The staff and guests are on the younger side and if you want something quiet and romantic, this may not be the spot for you. But if you want to have a fun night out in a lively piazza and intermix with the locals and some tourists, while dining on amazing food that won't disappoint or leave you broke, this is the spot. Everytime I'm in Florence I go at least twice.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite place to eat. the food is good, the service is great and the atmosphere is fun. I loved the friendly staff and will go back next trip to Italy. A must if you are in Florence

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Was there in March 2013 and loved the place. The pizza is so good that we ate there twice during our stay in Italy. We learned that the owner gives cooking lessons. Next trip to Italy I will definitely go there again and will sign up for the cooking lessons.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had some cod fish, sea food pasta and house wine there. All nice! Best dinner in Florence!

银鳕鱼和海鲜面都很棒!