“Authentic atmosphere and beautiful food”

Trattoria Il Francescano
Reserve with
Save up to 50% when you reserve online *
Trattoria Il Francescano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #539 of 2,744 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Description: In the heart of Florence, just steps from the beautiful Piazza Santa Croce, you will find "il Francescano": typical Tuscan trattoria, traditional flavors, full-bodied wines and perfumes from another time.
“Authentic atmosphere and beautiful food”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Looking for somewhere that wasn't a tourist trap, Trip Advisor reviews led us to this amazing little restaurant, and it certainly didn't disappoint!
Food was amazing and quick, and it's clearly a place the locals frequent.
Highly recommended for a late dinner (note though they close at 11pm).

• Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
“you can do better”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

One in our group got a recommendation for this place, which is right near the Church of Santa Croce, where Galileo, Dante, Rossini, and Michelangelo are entombed. We had a reservation. We had a group of 7 and we wanted the bistecca florentina. We had salads, split two pastas, and then the bistecca came.
I had been told that the presentation was part of the event. They just came and plopped it on the table. It was fatty in parts, and nowhere near what I thought this dish would be.
I was quite disappointed.
Later I learned that the recommendation had come from a German vegetarian. Who takes a recommendation for beefsteak from a vegetarian? Crazy.

• Visited September 2012
isle of man
“Coccoli”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This Restaurant was recommended to us as was the starter Coccoli, which is a Tuscan speciality. You should definitely try this dish. It's very simple but fantastic. The service wasn't great to be honest with the bill added up incorrectly at the end, charging us for items we hadn't had. However the food was enjoyable and it's in quite a nice location next to the Santa Croce Basilica.

• Visited August 2012
“Simple Italian Goodness”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

One of my favorite restaurants in Florence. My boyfriend and I eat here at least once a week while we're in town. Delicious food from start to finish in great candle-lit ambiance. The portion sizes are slightly bigger than tradition Italian dishes so you really get more bang for your buck.

Things I've tried and loved:
1. Pecorino & honey chutney- sampler of hard and soft pecorino cheeses (garnished with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, the cheeses have a surprisingly nice kick)

2. Antipasti of cold cuts- assortment of salami, prosciutto, pâté, and bruschetta (really can't go wrong)

3. Pasta with minced pork, zucchini and burrata cheese- ribbons of pasta cooked perfectly al dente and seasoned just right

4. Sea-salted steak & rucola- Florentines love their steaks very medium rare and so do I. Tender, succulent steak with little grains of seasalt on a bed of rucola (simple goodness)

5. Cheesecake with fruits of the forest jam- my boyfriend swears its the best he's ever had. Creamy with a tingle of tartness from the jam

“Best meal I've had in Florence!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Since we arrived in Florence, I've been dreaming of a bistecca fiorentina. And I'm pretty sure I've found the best steakhouse in Florence! Although I haven't tried everything on the menu, I can definitely vouch for the bistecca Fiorentina and the Tagliatta di Manzo. Easily the best steak I've every had! And if you want to properly finish your evening, I would recommend the cheese cake. The cheesecake factory's got nothing on this place. Everything's made in house, not too many tourists, a properly authentic menu, and a helpful Italian staff! Not to mention we ate like kings for about 20€ a person, with wine!

Thanks, and I hope to see you all again!