“traditional food with a twist”

Trattoria al Trebbio
Reserve with
Trattoria al Trebbio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #282 of 2,877 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had great service and good food. Some of the food is very basic Italian but others with a little twist. The salads were excellent to start. They are large enough for 3 to have a small salad. Meatballs with potatoes very different but good! Pork steaks good but the sauce a little heavy. Dessert very good...apple pie unique. Excellent chianti re della carni wine. Brunello di Montalcino wine also very good red. I would return on the next trip!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,075)

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We wish we had checked trip advisor before diiner. Hot dining room, uncaring service, the worst food we have eaten in Florence during our 3 day trip.

1  Thank Kristin S
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was in this restaurant in an early summer evening, dining outside.
I had a "scaloppina con crema al tartufo", a pork steak with truffle cream, that tasted simply delicious.
The atmosphere nice and the service was friendly, so I do not understand some bad reviews of this restaurant. My experience was excellent and I certainly would eat there again.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The restaurant does a good job in disguising itself as authentic, which is probably why we were lured into it. It is not, and I don't understand how it can get such good reviews. It is nicely situated on a small square not far from the dome, but that's everything nice there is to say.
They have no wine list, apart from "Red" and "White" in 1/4 and 1/2 l glasses, and their only beer is Nastra Azzura, which comes only in small 0,33 l bottles, but for which they charge 4 euros.
Our starters were bad, from a caprese (Mozzarella with tomatoes) made without any passion but with watery tomatoes, over Carpaccio di Bresaola which only acquired a taste through the heavy use of balsamic vinegar to a Pappa al Pomodoro (Kind of very thick soup made out of bread and tomatoes) which had only a faint bread taste, because apparently the chef forgot how to use salt and pepper.
However, it became even worse. I had the pork with balsamic vinegar, which was dreadful. They put so much sauce over my pork that it overflowed my plate, which couldn't cover up that the pork was overdone, and the sauce was tasteless. Top that with a pile of spinach, which was equally bad, thrown on the plate.
One of my companions ordered the meatballs with mashed potatoes. The meatballs and the sauce were average and not that bad, but the mashed potatoes resembled more something like a thick sauce and not actual mashed potatoes and again didn't taste like anything. I highly doubt that was homemade.
I didn't personally taste the other two guy's dishes, but they weren't satisfied either, and still ended up paying ~30 Euros per person for 2 courses and a small beer. A hefty price, considering the service was below average as well.
I don't understand the reviews on this page. This is in no way a "authentic italian restaurant", this is a simple tourist trap. If in doubt, walk around two more corners and you'll be guaranteed a better restaurant. And if you really are that hungry, there is a McDonalds just 2-3 minutes away, which at least has better value for money.

2  Thank ElToroN3gro
Reviewed June 30, 2013

As I approached and browsed the menu I was greeted pleasantly by young female waitress who ascertained I was "una" and showed me to a table for two, near front door. This was fine for me, although young couple after me asked to be further inside and were willingly moved. While reading the menu I realized that the man calling across the room was asking if I would move tables to enable mine to be combined with another to accommodate a larger group. I immediately agreed, was thanked by the lady in the other group, picked up my bag and coat, and was waved by the man who seemed to be boss to the adjoining room. I was not escorted to a table in that room, and found that the only free table was the one beside the toilets which I could hear and smell before sitting down. Instead I walked back to the main room and enquired where? With some surprise the older man confirmed he meant the table by the toilets. I said I would not sit by the toilets and started walking towards the door to leave. A younger waiter then said he could give me a table outside. I had seen no tables on the very narrow footpath, and he pointed to a group of tables on the other side of the road - all empty! I refused, and left, and ate satisfactorily elsewhere.
As a middle-aged woman (clearly not "bella" of the street name) with experience of traveling alone and means to do so comfortably, I had thought the days of seating single women diners by the toilets, kitchen, or otherwise out of sight, had passed. That there was surprise at my objection showed that is not so at this restaurant.
I stress that I was not asking to be squeezed in at an otherwise full restaurant. When I arrived there were at least 4 available tables for 2, and I was asked to move from my first one.
I cannot comment on the food as I took my patronage elsewhere.

1  Thank 55Sonia