Tripadvisor
Florence

“Great ambiance in surprising location”
Review of Trattoria Za Za

Trattoria Za Za
Ranked #342 of 3,037 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: In the lively and crowded environment of the Central Market of San Lorenzo, in the heart of the city of Florence, was founded the restaurant Za Za, in one of the buildings survived at the time ... Or maybe it's better to say that it is here that still lives: where now Za Za, in fact, since the early nineteenth century there was a small inn. It is 1977 when Stefano Bondi, born at number 18 of the Main Market Square in the old house of aunt Tonina , baptizes with the name Za Za this dining room and open to the public. It was April 7. At that time, Zà Zà was a small restaurant. Stefano Bondi worked with his mother from the beginning. Her role was fundamental in Bondi’s life, as well as being the soul of the restaurant, to which she devoted her whole life. A dish is not born by chance. In addition to creativity, which is indispensable, it requires “technique and common sense, an attention to timing, to each ingredient, and to the condiments, too…”.
Reviewed January 20, 2020

Trattoria Za Za, located near Mercado was a serendipitous discovery. The space is cavernous - dining areas seem to endlessly connect from one to another from the moment you walk in the door. Each room or nook is cozy - the traditional terra cotta or blue colored walls with period paintings/pictures and sconces lend an old world feel.

The patient staff speak many languages and were even able to communicate with an Asian couple seated next to me who painfully did not speak anything but their native tongue.

Menu is extensive with many options. Meat is a popular item. My mixed cheese plate appetizer was the perfect selection of hard and soft cheeses. I suggest you ask for crackers or non-traditional Florentine bread, as the local stuff (at any restaurant) is made w/o salt and thus tastes like dust (I image - I've never eaten dust).

The main course was right amount of sea bass and grilled vegetables 'Za Za style.' Maybe it meant cold, because the vegetables were flavorful, but lukewarm.

Order the table wine, it's inexpensive and delicious! Dessert was an amazing custard w/light cherry sauce and espresso (naturally).

Overall ratings: food 4/5, service 5/5, experience is 5+5. I would return.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (12,961)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

the steak was awesome and the wine, not too shabby as well. It was super crowded so we had to share a table, and so the service wasn't that great but the meal was still super amazing.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed January 20, 2020

The reviews on tripadvisor and other sites were great, but when we arrived and almost every customer was a native English speaker, I wasn't so sure.
I'm also always a bit off-put by a huge menu. How can you be good at so much?
I wanted pasta, so that is what brought me here.
We ordered two pasta dishes and then a seafood dish and some truffle fries. After the pasta, we were so full that we ended up cancelling the other food (which thankfully was no problem).
I had a spaghetti with shrimp and chili and my husband had a lobster special, changing the pasta out for pappardelle.
Neither of us had overly high expectations and we both ended up being very pleasantly surprised.
Both pasta dishes were delicious and well seasoned. Staff was friendly and service was prompt.
While we can't speak to the other items on the menu, the pasta was great and I would certainly return.

Reviewed January 17, 2020

A great food experience, each and every item ordered were of the highest quality. The wait staff was highly knowledgeable about the ordered food and the wine to go with it. Would I recommend this place? 100% vouch for this place.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed January 15, 2020

This is officially my favourite restaurant in the world, ever! Came here twice in two days and the food was simply out of this world! The staff were amazing - both knowledgeable and really lovely. Sergio and Nicholas were standouts! Cannot wait to come back to Florence and spend a week eating truffle gnocchi! Also bought the Za Za cookbook and truffle olive oil. Cannot speak highly enough of this place, and the Negroni’s are also fantastic. Grazie mille!!

1  Thank Elliot1959