“We would happily have eaten here every night”

Trattoria La Casalinga
Ranked #199 of 2,722 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Berwick St John
“We would happily have eaten here every night”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We visited twice during Easter 2014. We got a walk-in table on our first night and very much enjoyed our meal. The next night there was a great queue (very understandably) so we booked a table for the following night before heading elsewhere. The following night we went for the Florentine Steak and it was a complete knock-out. I wish we had gone there every night and as I am sure we will return to Florence, La Casalinga will be top of our list when we do (and there was a really nice house wine too!)

• Visited April 2014

• Turkish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This was recommended by the owner of our apartment but I had it already noted from the Trip Advisor Kindle Fire app. The first night we somehow walked past it and the second night it was so packed we didn't want to wait but made a reservation for the following night and it was worth it. The Pasta was fantastic, the wine good and very reasonable and as per previous reports there is no English menu but with the help of a lovely waitress (Wed 23/4) we got through and had a great meal and went back the following night. It was packed from 7-11 mainly with locals and the old adage is true when travelling (there are exceptions), watch where the locals eat and follow. We tend not to be big eaters therefore we don't have starters but four pasta dishes, a side salad, water, two soft drinks, 1/2 litre of house red plus two desserts came to less than 60 Euro's and a great atmosphere to boot.

Visited April 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Splendid”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This seems to be a local favourites. We got there early and so managed to get a table but we saw many people being turned away. There is no english menu, so you are forced to communicate and learn. We had beef dishes for dinner and both were top class. The waitress patiently went through quite a bit of the list and gave us recommendations before we made our decision.

• Visited March 2014
chicago
“Best overall meal we had in Italy!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I did a ton of research about places to eat for our Italy trip. Casalinga is one of the places that kept popping up so we gave it a try. I'm glad we did! From start to finish, it was the best meal we had in Italy!

First of all, you MUST make a reservation. We tried to go our first night in Florence, but they were packed. So we made reservations for the next night at 7pm right when they opened. This is an early dinner time for Italians, but as an American it was just right for us. Plus, I would have eaten there whenever because the food was so good!

For the appetizer, I think we had the crostini Toscana. I saw another table get it and told our waitress that we wanted that, too, so I'm not 100% sure what it's called. It was toasted bread with cannelli beans, another with pate, another with tomatoes, and another with what I believe was a veggie spread. It was so good and fresh!

For the main dishes, I ordered the ribollita which I read was the must try at this restaurant. It was amazing and I think I'll try making something like this back home. Warm and hearty and kind of creamy. Yum! I envision myself eating it on a cool fall or chilly winter day. The waitress recommend a pasta dish for my husband which was the tagliatelle di carciofo (artichoke). Ummm, this dish was the BEST pasta I've ever had. I just wanted to suck on it or store it in my cheeks to eat for a later time. It was so, so good. This goes in the top 5 best meals of my life!

We were so full from the antipasti and pasta, that we didn't have room for dessert, but we did order lemoncello. It was fabulous and a great way to end an amazing meal.

The staff was friendly enough. Our waitress was so kind and lovely. There is one man that works there that can probably be a big teddy bear, but has a roughness and gruffness about him. He was no nonsense. I felt bad for the people, especially tourists, that walked in and he'd immediately tell them there was no room and brush them off. There really was not room though! This place is popular which is why reservations are a must! Anyways, he was a bit intense, but made for good people watching. I think he kind of liked people watching him be how he was. I bet he has a soft heart under the gruffness! There are plenty of locals that eat there. We sat next to two men that must eat there a lot because grandma (not really sure if she is, but she was a cute old Italian lady wearing in an apron) came out and put a couple more lamb chops on their plate as they were chowing down. There was also a really cute old man (grandpa?) that was cooking in the kitchen. I enjoyed people watching here. It really does feel a bit like you are enjoying a good, home cooked meal in your Nonna's home.

Oh, and the prices here were phenomenal! We ordered a carafe of house wine, antipasti, 2 pasta dishes, and 2 lemoncellos and the total was 31 euros! Our cheapest and best meal in Italy!

• Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing! Authentic! Affordable! ”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We went to this place for lunch on a Wednesday. In spite of the place being crowded we got a table in 15 minutes or so. The table we got was awkwardly close to another one with two local guys eating their lunch. However, after a while, the guys ended being quite friendly and chatty in spite of the language barrier.
Our server, Liberta, answered our questions and served the wine and the food in a promptly and courteous manner. She was also very nice and I really think she deserves a raise!
We noticed that most of the customers were locals which says a lot about how good and authentic their menu is. Their risotto and their roasted chicken were delicious. Their house wine is also good and cheap.
This place is definitely a must do in Florence.