“Been going here for decades”
Review of Cibreo Trattoria

Cibreo Trattoria
Ranked #564 of 2,844 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We have been going to this trattoria since it was located on a side street next to a hardware store - many, many years ago, and since Fabio Picchi was married to his first wife, Benedetta. They serve the same food at the trattoria as they do at the restaurant where the food costs three times as much. Of course, the offerings are not as extensive, but there are still many choices for each course.

The staff they had working there this time very patiently went over the entire Italian menu in English with anyone who wanted them to. This time we had fish soup, their signature ricotta flan, beef cheeks, a spicy squid dish, side veggies and wine. There are no pasta dishes. This is traditional Tuscan food. They no longer offer a house wine. It is cash only and our bill was 50 euros.

The seating is communal, which does not appeal to many people when paying that knid of money. The prices have gone up steadily over the years, but the food is still very good and it is much cheaper than the restaurant just up the street. There are no reservations - first come first served. It opens at 7 p.m. for dinner. They are closed Mondays.

5  Thank luvroma2

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The Trattoria Cibreo is INFORMAL dining. If you want more formal dining go next door to Ristorante Cibreo and pay 3 times the price. (We did not eat in the Ristorante so I can not about their food.).

Let me explain informal:

Total of 9 tables. If you are the 4th couple your choice is: wait for a two-person table or take 1/2 of a four person table. Couple number 5 will get the other have of the table.

Trattoria opens at 7pm. All tables (including 5 couples) were taken by 7:20. The waiter may grab an empty chair and sit down to explain the menu...no problem with English. Or you may overhear the explanation from the table next to you (or the other half of your table). With only 9 tables, the wait staff is 2 persons...I thought they were attentive and responsive. If you want 1+ person per table go elsewhere and pay 5 times as much.

The menu is what they view as Florentine food--no pasta period.

Now about the food...it was wonderful. Remember you will be offered what they feel is Floretine (tripe, beef cheeks, ox-tail stew, cold plate of veal scallopini in tomato sauce, etc). I had the veal and was wonderful (albeit cool), my wife had the beef cheeks (think short ribs for flavor/texture) and my stepfather had the eggplant. We all were VERY happy. I had the fish soup as a starter--differs fron soupe de poisson but great. And yes there were anchovia sized bones in it. Remember, you are eating Floretine: not French, not American. If you want French, American or sushi go elsewhere.

Now about the desserts, they are to die for...I had the cheesecake, my wife the vallina with chocolate sauce. Both were wonderful.

Be forewarned, we had great fun but we were willing to go with the flow. I hope you have enough information to decide if this is a place for you.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

The Cibreo Cafe (the third Cibreo venue, near the trattoria and restaurant) is a jewel. It is an exquisite and romantic place, slightly off the beaten path, in the heart of Florence, which serves delicious, superbly high quality food, in a lovely and intimate setting, where you will be surrounded by Italian diners in the know, not tourists. The service was consistently warm and gracious, and it was a very comfortable place to dine solo, which is not true of every place in Florence. You can eat the same food in the Trattoria for less, but not with the appetizers, or the same intimate ambiance. I believe it serves cafe food during the day; cafe food, drinks or dinner at night.

3  Thank SClevelandNewYork
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We were told to go here by an acquaintance after having amazing dinners the last few nights in Florence..we were excited for another great dinner. NO, NOT HERE. The wait was long which would have been ok if food & service was good..Service was HORRIBLE. 2 people in the entire restaurant setting up, cleaning up, only 1 explaining Italian menu to each table. 2 servers, probably the owners, however, they basically ignored tables waiting for service for long periods of time.. I was ready to leave when we received no water after another 15 minutes..but by then it was after 10PM and we were so hungry. I had soup my husband polenta we had wine and left...the menu didnt offer enough of a variety and no fresh pasta dishes.
We were given bread and I asked for Olive Oil..the man said we don't serve that here..excuse me? NO OLIVE OIL? Wow. I couldn't wait to leave this restaurant and never go back. My husband and I look forward to another amazing dinner at Vini e Vecchi Sapori ...never disappoints. Even Gusta Pizza is so much more delizioso than Cibreo.

3  Thank Diane M
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Made booking by using telephone in Michelin. When got there they told us there is no phone in the trattoria just the restaurant which is double the cost...
I don't enjoying being cheated like that.
We left and found a much better place.

2  Thank Ronen G