“Panino con bollito, give me some more!”
Review of da Nerbone

da Nerbone
Ranked #2 of 14 Quick Bites in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Reviewed April 27, 2012

One simple sandwich, the panino con bollito...chewy bread with incredibly tender sliced boiled beef, topped with parsley sauce at 3.5 euros. You really can't go wrong with a market food stall established since 1872. This is the only place in the entire Central Market that has a waiting line. Quick, no frill service, great sandwich at affordable price. Mmmmangia!

Date of visit: April 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,668)

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We've been coming to Nerbones for the past 10 years....same staff.....all great guys! As in previous reviews, get there early, 10 am good. Very crowded at lunch time but they get you served without a problem.. The menu changes daily but the bolito sandwiches are their famous staple. Seating can be a problem but most times locals and tourists don't mind sharing their table with you. The prices are very reasonable for the amount of food you get. The Mercato centrale where Nerbones is located can be very cold if visting during the winter months. Eating here is an experience, one that keeps us coming back year after year!

Date of visit: February 2012
1  Thank quete
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I had read about Nerbone but it was not on my top 10 list as I wasn't too sure about trying the lampredotto. However, the Mercato itself was and while there, we were drawn to the hustle and bustle around this Florence institution. I grabbed a couple of seats at the tables and my friend stood in line to order. We had ribollita which was served with a couple of chunks of pane, a plate of meat patties and a side dish of roasted artichoke hearts and garlic braised broccoli. Absolutely delicious! We came back twice more during our month long stay and tried the radicchio risotto, the boiled beef sandwich and two other soups. Good cheap eats for sure and what I really enjoyed was being in the midst of the locals. Many of them stop here for a quick lunch and it's a tight squeeze fitting into the stools and tables set up caffeteria style. On our last visit we were next to an elderly local couple. I only speak a few phrases of Italian and since I was curious about the plate of stew they were eating, I asked them if it was the bollito misto or the trippa. They started into a long explanation of which I could only pick up a few words here and there. They were friendly and seemed happy to interact with a turista. It was also fun to watch the guys at the counter. The older guy with the long hair speaks English but otherwise point or order from the posted menu. And if you really want to get into the spirit order a glass of wine with your lunch. My friend wanted espresso after the meal and walked down to the next section to get it and brought it back to the table at Nerbone. The man at that counter trusted him enough to bring the cup and saucer back. Go right at 11. Or later at 1:30. It gets very crowded. The market closes at 2.

Date of visit: March 2012
1  Thank bluestar68
Reviewed April 6, 2012

As mentioned in the tile, a solid sandwich, confirming others experience.

Did the Academia and David statue then headed to Mercato Centrale for some trinkets, foodie shopping/shipping at Baroni, then da Nerbone for the much acclaimed porchetta & roast beef.

It was good, but perhaps my expectations were too high from all the TripAdvisor postings... decent for 4 euro, but nothing I would go back for - waaaaaay to many other joints to check out. The experience was pretty "local" especially for the working guys off to the side getting taken care of, while the rest of us waited in line. I get it... ya gotta take care of the locals!

If in the area again, I would try some of their "secondi" dishes... looked great, but the tripe was the only thing I could make out. We got there about 10am no line, but no lunch... only the tripe was ready, were told to come back in 30-40 minutes. Decided to do our tasting and shipping deal at Baroni and went back right at the PEAK lunch crowd rush, line all the way to the wall - but it went fairly quick.

TIP: If you are watching them make the sandwich, have them double dip the bread in the au jus for a more moist experience!

Date of visit: April 2012
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Learned about this place from Lonely Planet Travel Guide where it is listed under budget lunch options.

We ate here as early as 10AM (1000) on several occations.

Tip: get your coffee at the coffee Bar with the lighted sign titled Cafe Mexicano.

Tip: must plan around Mercado Central hours of operation.

Tip: use the above average wash rooms (wash closet) for a small fee.

3  Thank hayzeus29