“I want to live outside here forever.”
Review of All' Antico Vinaio

All' Antico Vinaio
Ranked #29 of 2,808 Restaurants in Florence
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Uffizi
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've found heaven! and its only a minute walk from the statue of David in the city centre. The man running the wine bar greeted us in a casual and friendly manner, we asked him for his own speciality, and I didn't regret it.

He cut each sandwich from individual focaccias and only used whole, unsliced tomatoes (a bit of a waste in my view, but made it that bit fresher!), He then cut around 10 SLICES OF PROSCUTTIO! and stuffed it into a mammoth sandwich along with garlic and some pickled veg (courgette and aubergine i think). The whole process took only a minute or two, very quick seeing that it was from heaven! Went down well with a pour-it-yourself glass of wine. And all for only €10 or so!

*The only problem is that the bread is naturally crusty so you'll need gums of steel to not cut yourself.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We went here for lunch due to the TA reviews on the sandwiches...they were okay. We did as instructed and told them to make whatever they fancied but I get the feeling everyone says this and it's actually a bit annoying for them. The bread is lovely and warm and it's a pretty huge sandwich for 5 euros. BUT taste wise it was just okay, i guess that's the risk in not choosing what you like though. They have bars on both sides of the street, opposite each other and both do the same sandwiches, so don't queue for one when the other is empty!

Following a recommendation from our hotel of a good wine bar, we ended up back here the next night for dinner. We wanted a platter with a selection of cheese and meats etc but weren't sure what to ask for so we ended up just pointing at someone elses and asking for the same. We later realised there is a menu that you can choose everything from. Amazing selection of food, meats, cheeses, vegetables and snacks. We had a small board each for 10 euros a board and it was more than enough, next time we would maybe get a medium board to share.

Cheap wine at 2.50 a glass (can choose more expensive if you want). I got the impression they found tourists a little frustrating but the food was great and they weren't rude or anything.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

All'Antico Vinaio is a truly great panineria. Whether or not it's the best in the city, I can't speak to, but every time I visited during my two weeks in Florence I asked them to surprise me with a tasty panini and they did. Their craft is paninis and they know it well.

Also, they have two storefronts directly across the street from each other, so don't get fooled by the permanently long line leading to their original location, across the street is just as good.

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

As a meek Englishman who doesn't really try many new foods, coming to Florence has really changed me. It's a really nice little place, and the food is rustic, homemade and delicious. The idea is, pick one thing you'd like to centre your focaccia/panini around, and they'll deck it out with other lovely stuff. So pick something you already like, then just take whatever the staff say to go with it nicely. Top tip though, it might be worth asking for the mozzarella because its the best we found in Italy!

1  Thank Abercromby3
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Awesome! For just 5euro (about 7$) you get a giant schiacciata (sandwich) with a whole lot of food inside. I picked fresh tomatoes and mozzarella and finocchiona ham with pepperoni cream and it was enough to get me through the day in a city that's otherwise really expensive. Perfect for your local tasty budget eating needs!