“The best Tuscan steak ever!”
Review of I Toscano - CLOSED

I Toscano
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Reviewed October 23, 2012

For food that one can never forget...it would be the 1 kilo Florentine-style steak. It's so simply prepared with only sea salt as a condiment. It was cooked medium rare, although I prefer medium; however, it was so good that our kids ages 11 and 12 yrs old, devoured it. It was soo good! I had the meat and potato patties made by the owner's father. Wow! That was tasty. Our daughter had Picci ala carbonara. She finished the whole big serving. The owner prepared salad right in front of us. How fresh can that be? And the Tuscan bread? My son's favorite. Again, sliced in front of us.

The service is a little slow, with only 2 men serving (dad and son). It was packed even though we went there late. We were seated at the last table and we did not wait at all although we did not make any reservation. It's quite a memory to keep.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Four-and-a-half stars is pretty impressive amongst the 1,233 restaurants in Florence. But I'm not sure this is deserved unless you need gluten-free food (this fact is proclaimed in the window). The restaurant is obviously used to English-speaking tourists as the waiter greets you in Emglish and offers an English menu. Our choices of a salad with slivers of pear and pecorino and pica pasta with bacon were fine but hardly special. Prices were also a little inflated, e.g. 8 euro for the salad and 12 euro for the pasta.

2  Thank DELondon
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Went there as recommended by a friend, unfortunately it was the worst dinner in florence. The food was ok but the worst bit was the service. The guy who served our table didnt even throw a smile to us and actually quite rude. we met many friendly italian but sorry to say this particular dining experience have been a black spot towards our impression for this beautiful city. Definitely wont go back again

2  Thank mikun
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Food was ok but you can get better for a lower cost. The compulsory surcharge is unjustified as the service is very cold and the atmosphere non-existent. There are so many great restaurants in Florence and this isnt one of them.

1  Thank FLondon
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This place was recommended by Hotel Colomba, it did not disappoint us.

In terms of service they started a bit cold and stand offish but were efficient and warmer as the meal progressed. It is a nice place, feels as though it's been there forever, comfortable.
The pesto rocket pasta (with arugula) had beautiful flavors.
The grilled vegetables were the best of our Italian trip.
The steak came on a wooden platter, huge, perfectly grilled with salt and pepper.
It was delightful, and my kids and I shared the same feeling, it was bloody and pink but cooked exactly as it should be.

I would return. 3 people, bottle of wine, 2 pastas, 1 antipasta, 1 steak: $85 euro,
the Tuscan experience: priceless