“One of our favourites in Florence”
Review of Trattoria Mario

Trattoria Mario
Ranked #82 of 2,877 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Lorenzo
Description: From 1st March 1953. We are open only for lunch, we haven't the freezer, we don't make reservation. No credit card and bancomat. ATTENZIONE SIAMO APERTI SOLO A PRANZO DAL LUNEDI AL SABATO COMPRESI E CHIUSI LA DOMENICA E TUTTI I GIORNI FESTIVI OLTRE AL MESE DI AGOSTO PER FERIE. NO BRUNCH NO COLAZIONI NO CONSEGNA NO CENA NO DOPO MEZZANOTTE.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Mario is just the best place to get lunch in the city, bar none. It's not cheap, especially if you order the bistecca, but it is amazing. We normally order the pappadelle carne to start with, which is the best pasta dish in Italy. The pasta is perfectly cooked, the meat wonderfully seasoned, not to greasy or gloopy. It's just perfect. Then we have the green salad which is wonderfully vinegared with the roast chicken, perfect and crispy.

Service is done with both a smile and a fun attitude, if you come back twice ni the same week you'll be recognised and given kisses. Order some wine, rub elbows with your neighbour, put your napkin in your shirt and dig in.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,989)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

If you're looking for a traditional Fiorentine experience, come to Trattoria Mario's, where you will sit next to someone you don't know at lunch at a communal table and walk away with friends for dinner. The restaurant itself is small, but cozy enough as when you walk in, you are immediately hit with Italian comfort.

The last time I was here, I had the Fiorentine Bisteca, because if you're in Florence, you have to eat the Bisteca... and the waiter and the cooks all yelled at me to pick up the bone of the bisteca and basically eat it caveman style. Who am I to say no? The clapping commenced, the shots poured and shoved in my hand and did I mention it was only lunch time?

Really, you will not be disappointed. The menu changes due to the seasons and everything you order from the zuppa (soup) to the main courses will blow you away. It's worth the wait.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is one of the best restaurants we visited during our 9-day trek through Italy.
The food is fantastic and the prices are very reasonable. Menu changes daily so repeat customers (we went two days in a row) can have a variety of dishes. We tried several dishes...Carpaccio, grilled lamb, grilled pork, penne with wild boar meat sauce, grilled steak, four cheese ravioli...all were impeccable.

For those with families, this place is also a great stop - especially with kids. The restaurant is a bit small and cozy, but it is very lively, so you don't have to worry about trying to keep your kids too quiet. Plus, the food comes out very quickly, so you don't have to worry about being inside for a long period of time.

Highly recommend. If and when we return to Florence, Trattoria Mario's will be a must.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

For the second time in my life I had dinner (this time with my wife) at Mario's. You have to take the restaurant for what it is : a very busy place, filled up by local people and tourists. In my opinion, food is very good. And we both liked the atmosphere. Three days later we decided to try it a second time. The man at the entrance told us we would have to wait for almost an hour (he showed me the waiting-list : some twenty people before us). As we had a train to get, we had to go elsewhere. It was a pity, but unlike some other Tripadvisor members, we thought it was part of the game : you come and see what happens. It's that kind of restaurant. And if being put at a table with people you don't know at all isn't your idea of a good setting, that's just OK, but then ... there are many other good resturants in town.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This is one of the few FAIR places in Florence. Although they charge for "Coperto", each person is only 50 cents and they don't charge for service. In my case, a meal for 4 with one entry to share, 4 main dishes, 1 litter of wine and a dessert to share was 60 EUR. Less than many other restaurants around and with a very good quality.

I love having the most authentic experiences everywhere I travel to, and this is definitely the type of places I really enjoy. I guess I don't have anything else to say since all other positive aspects are described here in TripAdvisor as this is the site where I found out about this place.