“COPERTO (Service ) FEE : I still don't get it. it's old Fashion !!!”
Review of Al Tranvai

Al Tranvai
Ranked #323 of 2,722 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Milan, Italy
“COPERTO (Service ) FEE : I still don't get it. it's old Fashion !!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I’m Italian and I know what is the reason behind the “coperto” fee . it had a reason back then when you were giving a proper seat , bread and some good time allowing you to stay at the table as much as you wanted consider a good balancing between food and accommodation for which you were more than happy to pay an additional fee for a convenient menu at a reasonable price, but nowadays... wow, being charged 2€ per person I think it's just out of place and a bad habit to be honest. Infact, i would somehow accept to pay that same extra “coperto” fee ( 2€ ) if distributed into different dishes and voices just for the sake of not seeing that you are still paying this SERVICE FEE called Coperto. considering also that the price and the menu is not cheap at all.

Something else to watch out is the house wine. it's served in a FIASCO CHIANTI bottle , just this invites you to drink it because it looks nice to your eyes and brings back good memories …but you pay for what you drink and you won’t know what’s the cost for ml and the cost for it. now, I’d lie if I said it wasn't good, but when you know how much I paid for it, I had a kind of bitter back taste since I couldn have had a higher wine quality by getting a proper bottle coming from distribution and the not a draft one.

anyway, it's not all that bad. infact, by walking into this lovely , and I repeat , lovely restaurant you get a good feeling to have stopped to the right place. it has a great vibe, it shows you how much you can do with such a small ambient and make it attractive with very little furniture... and the theme of the TRAM makes it cute especially with all those pictures hanged on wall which remind you where you are by giving you a bit of background of the area, Porta Romana. Not to mention the unique counter , replica the front of a Tram, from which dishes go in and out . very appropriate.

Well, food was good , their onion soup was above average and their fried artichokes were simply amazing. they reminded me my childhood recalling when my mom was making it, but there were by far much better.

so, all good. not sure if I’ll be back unless they will review their menu cost for which even a normal side cost you 6€, a bit too much for a fake easy down place .

Ciao

Epi

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Epi1975

• Korean first
Lublin, Poland
“Feeling cheated”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were there on New Year's Eve supper . The price was fixed and included dinner and a bottle of Chianti and a bottle of spumane. We never got our bottle of spumante and we still were charged full price. There was some discussion about that between owners. (?) and guests - in Italian of course but noone spoke with us. So the food was very good , especially the bakalao, liver pate bruschiettas and fish carpaccio but we left feeling cheated.

1 Thank Kaja M
Hong Kong, China
“Definitely not menu touristico!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place serves the sort of Tuscan cuisine you can hunt for throughout the Chianti region but not often stumble upon. And the amazing thing is that it's in the mega-tourist mecca that is Florence. But don't expect flash table settings, or even an English menu. It's all blackboard, you sit at wooden tables and drink casa vino from crockery pitchers, and the meals are prepared in a kitchen that's not much bigger than the one you have at home. In other words, it's the real deal, and all you have to do is cross over the river, wend your way through a few winding little streets, and be prepared to try a few dishes that you might never have heard of before. Repeat visits highly recommended, if for no other reason than to try the full range of what's on offer.

• Visited October 2012
Moscow, Russia
“Caprezeeeee”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Actually there's no caprese in their menu. But we were in Italy and would like to taste real italian caprese, so the owner was so kind to cook the salade specially for us. Great tomatoes, fresh mozarella mmmmm!

• Visited August 2012
“Wonderful local”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 7 weeks in Firenze and Al Tranvai was our closest and first restaurant we went to.we were very lucky.
Very helpful ,friendly staff.
Food was very good local food.
We went back often!!