“Delicious food, worth a visit”
Review of Zeb

Zeb
Ranked #361 of 2,744 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Piazzale Michelangelo
Description: Zeb Gastronomia, Florence’s unique bistro and gastonomia situated inside the old city wall in San Niccolò, is the innovation of owner Alberto Navari, who you will find dashing around the galley while his mother, Giuseppina, works her magic in the kitchen, bringing the best of Italian culinary tradition to Zeb’s seasonal menu.The gastronomia features an excellent selection of wines, pastas, pastries, chocolate, olive oil, cured meats and a sophisticated assortment of cheeses.
“Delicious food, worth a visit”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We called into Zeb this afternoon to book dinner tonight based on a recommendation from our hotel & TA reviews. It's a tiny restaurant & customers are seated at the bar. The owner's English is limited (though less so than our Italian) but the he guided us through the menu for each course in a helpful, unobtrusive manner. We started with taglieroni with lots of black truffle & the pear & pecorino ravioli. Both were delicious, though the ravioli was my favourite. This was followed by rabbit & beef both of which were very enjoyable. Dessert did not disappoint either. And the cost (including wine) was a very pleasant surprise considering the high quality. A thoroughly enjoyable experience overall.

1 Thank Rallar80

• Korean first
“Not inviting and I would agree to the profiling by staff.”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Read reviews about food from TA and decided to try out the place with my brother. 2 times we tried to dine here and both times rebuffed. Both times we were properly dressed.

Once during lunch, about 1 on a Tuesday and the other time around 8 on a Thursday. Each time we arrived, there was maybe 1 or 2 people already sitting down and eating. Each time we asked if they were serving we received a distasteful look and told no.

Question: why have your doors unlocked, sign saying open, and customers eating if you're not open?

When asked when they were open, the man behind the counter just waved at some business cards. We picked up a card and it said they were open. We asked and he just looked at us like we were stupid.

I do fully agree this restaurant has a very bad superiority complex or just doesn't like anyone who doesn't fit their image or speak Italian.

Only place in all of Italy that I've run into such rudeness and crassness during my stay there while studying in Florence.

I'd have to say Zeb is the only place in all of Florence I will never recommend to anyone. Not because of the food (since we never got a chance to try) but because of the attitude and horrible atmosphere associated with the staff.

3 Thank QMai
zebgastro, Proprietario at Zeb, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Studentessa and Brother,

We are quite surprised by your review and invite you to come back and try Zeb. It is true that we are not native English speakers and I immagine your Italian is not at mother-tongue level as well. It is most likely that you have experienced a misunderstanding. And for us a serious one. There is no dress code at Zeb. We welcome all ages, nationalities ecc. We have no staff. We are mother and son and we are also the chefs of the bistro. We invite you to write an email directly to mangia@zebgastronmia.com to organize a reservation. Perhaps both occassions you have visited us we were already full. Our system here in Italy is a little different from what you may be used to at home, however once we have given out reservations, we can not accept further reguests. This is always difficult for me to explain with my limited English. In any case language should not be a barrier when the culinary arts are involved and so again we invite you to please reserve a place for you and your brother and come and enjoy a delicious home cooked meal here in Florence.

Cordiali regards,

Zeb Chefs Alberto e Giuseppina

p.s. We always have a tradition of treating our students well around Florence! Just ask around!!
Berkeley, California
“Beautiful food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Traveling on business, I and my small group were wandering on foot around the Fort Belvedere area and met a woman from the area taking a walk with her elderly father. She was happy to answer our questions about the city and recommended some highlights. In particular, she mentioned a small restaurant on a side street nearby that serves "beautiful food." We found it on our walk, but decided to move on at that point; I was disappointed, the menu looked good and the place was full of happy-looking diners at lunchtime. The following day, I had to try it. It was quite a distance to go from our hotel near the train station and I had to run if I wanted to spend some time for my lunch, but it was well worth it. With the very little Italian that I knew from 1 year of a college course 20 years ago, and with the gracious help of the owners, I had a very delicious portion of ravioli with pear and pecorino, followed by a plate of various vegetable dishes including a soft flavorful fennel and balsamic-tinged cipollini, a glass of pino bianco. The bollito looked and smelled so good. La prossima volta!

London, United Kingdom
“Homey food”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We tried the much talked about pear ravioli and squash ravioli, as well as the meat pici dish. I thought the pear one was the best out of the three, the pici was a bit too salty. For main, we tried a rabbit, aubergine tomato dish as well as a potato cheese dish with a side on onions and greens. I loved the onions! But the rest was over salted for my taste. I didn't like my wine very much either. We liked how homey the cooking was though. The mother was very nice even though she didn't speak English. The environment was modern and chic. It was filled with tourists. Price wise, it was a bit over priced.

zebgastro, Proprietario at Zeb, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for joining us at Zeb. We are very happy you have enjoyed our home made cooking and we invite you to join us again anytime you are visiting Florence.
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chic, modern take on tuscan food”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Strange to sit at a counter, but actually good fun and quite informal (even though the whole restaurant / posh deli had a more formal feel). Staff attentive and clearly enjoy the food they produce. Menu was written up on a board and presented to us and explained in basic English (cow's meat). Actual food was good...particularly the main course where I opted for a mixed ham and cheese selection which the deli is famed for. After the pasta first dish, we could have probably shared the plate comfortably. Found a lovely little cafe next door to have a glass or two of prosecco first which added to our evening's enjoyment.

zebgastro, Proprietario at Zeb, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for joining us at Zeb. We are very happy you have enjoyed our modern take on Florentine cooking and we invite you to join us again anytime you are visiting Florence.