“Zeb is the Real Deal in Florence”
Review of Zeb

Zeb
Ranked #354 of 2,955 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Piazzale Michelangelo
Description: Zeb Gastronomia, Florence’s unique bistro and gastonomia situated inside the old city wall in San Niccolò, is the innovation of owner Alberto Navari, who you will find dashing around the galley while his mother, Giuseppina, works her magic in the kitchen, bringing the best of Italian culinary tradition to Zeb’s seasonal menu.The gastronomia features an excellent selection of wines, pastas, pastries, chocolate, olive oil, cured meats and a sophisticated assortment of cheeses.
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Somehow I missed Zeb reviews on TA probably because we hadn't planned on being in the area. But stepping outside and seeing a gloriously clear, sunny day after a morning spent in the Uffizzi, we decided to walk up to to Piazzale Michaelangelo for the view. It was about lunchtime so we stepped into Zeb along the way. It's an Italian Deli with chairs lining a U-shaped bar filled with interesting, innovative choices. The star of our meal were these huge raviolis filled with different cheeses and spices. The sauce was a light wine and pear sauce. I've never had anythiong like it. Give this a try. It's a delicious way to get an energy boost to get you up the hill to the park

2  Thank HikingFoolCincinnati

Reviewed January 12, 2011

We discovered Zeb’s for lunch on our first day in Florence and during our week stay we returned 3 times! Looking in the window, the sleek, modern, long central island enticed us with it’s bar stool seating from where you can gaze at the freshly prepared food on display and watch mother and son team Giuseppina and Alberto interacting with their customers. I have fond memories of my very first bite at Zeb- a brussel sprout. Yes you read correctly. I had never tasted a brussel sprout that tasted so earthy, fresh and just burst open with flavor . What a surprise! In fact it was the vegetables that drew me back. I longed to suck on those cippolini onions once again. The freshly made ravioli is a treat – pear and pecorino were my favorite, but the spinach ravioli were equally as good. The simple meatballs also drew ooh’s and aah’s. Oh, and then there is the freshly made cake-of-the-day, the chocolate pear cake was to die for.

One day we sat next to an Italian gentleman who lived in Florence and Milan. We talked for some time, as he was a well traveled foodie and he could see how much I was enjoying Alberto and Giuseppina’s wonderful cooking. He told me that Zeb was one of his favorite places to dine in Florence. I was so happy to have discovered a gem that was off the tourist route and loved by the locals. The quality of the simple cooking and ingredients are a heavenly pleasure. I sadly discovered after I returned home that they conduct cooking classes for 30 Euro’s and I had missed the opportunity to attend -– oh well, I’ll just have to go back!
(http://www.zebgastronomia.com/cooking_school.html )

Reviewed December 28, 2010

The other reviews on Trip Advisor did not lead us astray. After a brief trip up to Piazzale Michelangelo to take in the views, we walked down to Zeb (an easy 10 minute walk) for our first lunch in Florence. The food is authentic, hearty, fresh, and tasty, and the wine was good! It appears to be a "locals" place, which is what we were looking for... not touristy. I had ravioli with cheese & pear, along with fresh veggies. And my husband had a sampling of quiche, meatballs, pork, and veggies. The people who work there are very warm and welcoming. Highly recommended!

1  Thank LMB13_11
Reviewed November 5, 2010

After a walk up to San Miniato we happened upon Zeb on the way down, just inside Porto San Miniato. Sleek, small, and exclusively Italian speaking, the food is wonderful. You pick from what is on offer that day and everything we had was exceptionally good - the mozzarella in the caprese salad was the most luscious I have tasted. Service was friendly, looking and pointing at the food on display got you fed. They are closed one day a week (Wed?, Thurs?).

Reviewed October 15, 2010

We asked a young American about to get on his motorcycle for a recommendation for a local restaurant. He gave us directions to Zeb which stands for zuppa e bolla (soup and a bowl). This is an osteria where you point to dishes or ask what is being served that day and they serve it to you. We had tastes of quite a few things and they were all delicious but the real winner was the cheese pasta with the pear sauce. The food was all gourmet quality, definitely the best we had during our two weeks in Italy and yet this is a little hole in the wall place. The atmosphere is chic with a beautifully designed contemporary bar and stools but the chef deserves a real ristorante.

2  Thank althorper