“Ribollita was fantastic, had a memorable dinner in Florence.”

L'Osteria di Giovanni
Reserve with
L'Osteria di Giovanni is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 2,808 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Description: At L’Osteria di Giovanni we not only maintain strict allegiance to traditional Tuscan dishes (including many antique recipes that are not commonly used these days), but we also experiment with new flavours and combinations, whilst remaining faithful to local and season produce. Popular new dishes include smoked duck breast on rocket salad and dressed in balsamic vinaigrette, tortelli stuffed with pear and pecorino, with leek and paprika sauce, pici with sausage and kale, and lamb slow-cooked with artichokes. We stronly believe that your restaurant experience should be unique and satisfying on every front. We look forward to welcoming you one day to L'Osteria di Giovanni.
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Found this restaurant in a blog mentioned this restaurant is the top pick among local. Indeed, it was a great dining experience. I had high expectation and it did not disappointed me.

The ribollita definitely the star of all the dishes that I ordered. On the previous day, I had the similar dish in a trattoria but this was definitely at another level. No word can illustrate this so you have to try it yourself. Ribollita basically is a Tuscan soup made from white beans, vegetables and leftover bread. It literally means "reboiled". Without doubt, they have perfected this simple dish. This dish was awarded with a prize by Touring Club Italia recently.

I also ordered a dish of spicy pasta and braised rabbit. The pasta was great and my girlfriend liked it she likes food to be spicy. The braised rabbit was mediocre, I find this was normal and it did not impressed me much. This is why I rated this restaurant as 4 star.

We finished the dinner with brownies and ice cream. Biscotti with vin santo served to us which was on the house. Not only that, a nicely packed biscotti was given when we paid for our dinner.

Some advice, please make sure you have a reservation as the restaurant is always full house. If you did not make a reservation just like me, you can try your luck by visiting the restaurant at 6.30-7.30pm before the local's normal dining hour.

Buon appetito!

CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

We are on a "ribollita high" at the moment. Indeed, our dish (a very peasant food recipe - originally made with old leftovers - check our blog) was indeed awarded a prize by Touring Club Italia (pictures and loads of info on our facebook and G+ pages).

Glad that you loved the experience mostly and we have taken note of all your comments ;-)

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was exactly what we had hoped for in a Florence dining experience. Caterina and her father were charming. The food was magnificent. The restaurant is filled with beautiful art and separate dining rooms which give the bustling establishment a small family restaurant feel. The service was excellent. We were looking to treat our daughter who had been studying abroad. This experience was perfect! The food was authentic Tuscan. We had steak,seafood pasta and braised rabbit. Each was wonderful. The extras poured in like we were family. Wow!

No no! All wrong - please don't run! The road is uneven and narrow, the pavements virtually non-exisiting. You will get squished by a speeding vespa or a grumpy taxi driver. Walk, we will hold your table, (Love it - thank you!)

Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I were here for dinner on our last night in Florence and boy... we had such a great time! Well... it wasn't at all cheap but the superb service and quality of food more than made up for it. I made an online reservation and got a confirmation very promptly so no problem getting a table at all when we got there.

The moment we sat down the attentive waiter served us bread and gave each of us a glass of wine to start. He explained the special for the day and made recommendations. I had the best seafood pasta I have ever tasted!! After which I also had a beef dish (special for that day) which I can't remember its name.

All in all for 4 courses and 2 small bottles of wine, the bill came up to about 100euros. We were really full so we didn't order dessert but that didn't stop the staff from giving us free, sweet treats! It was a really wonderful experience!

Your last sentence said it all for us. We truly want your meal to be more than a meal, we want it to be a memorable experience. Anyone who visits 3 museums in one day here in Florence will probably remember nothing about what they saw in 10 years time. But someone who researched Michelangelo's life story online, and only went to see Michelangelo's David (ignoring the rest of the great art in the Gallery), then had a long lunch thinking about what they just saw - they will remember it forever. Whilst we don't want to every compare our food in terms of art to Michelangelo's David, we do want you to have an experience that you will remember forever. Great - we think you will!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Very good all around: good food; great atmosphere; friendly staff; pasta course was outstanding. Left feeling like I needed a wheelbarrow to get me to my hotel as the food just kept coming! Beef Tenderloin was perfectly done. Roasted Pigeon was a pleasant surprise. Would highly recommend it.

1  Thank BH-ENT
CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Walking the streets of Florence after your meal is the perfect way to avoid that "wheelbarrow" feeling! Delighted that you enjoyed it and loved reading your comments!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had been in Florence for a few days, enjoying the sights and sampling the wonderful Florentine food, and decided that it was time for some Bistecca de Fiorentina. With a recommendation from the concierge, we trundled down tiny streets to L'Osteria Giovanni where we were warmly greeted by the host (Giovanni?) who settled us at out table. We ordered quickly and throughout the meal we enjoyed all of the wonderfully prepared food--the waiter kept bringing us little dishes of complementary items as well as our order so there was always something on the table. The food was excellent as you would expect in Florence, but the friendly service was a big plus, and we returned there later in our trip to enjoy the experience again.

1  Thank Electric2
CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Wow! An we also note that you are very well-travelled which always feels like receiving and extra-compliment. Delighted that we were able to make your evening into a great experience. Thank you for choosing us.