“Great customer service”

L'Osteria di Giovanni
Reserve with
L'Osteria di Giovanni is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 2,876 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Description: At L’Osteria di Giovanni we not only maintain strict allegiance to traditional Tuscan dishes (including many antique recipes that are not commonly used these days), but we also experiment with new flavours and combinations, whilst remaining faithful to local and season produce. Popular new dishes include smoked duck breast on rocket salad and dressed in balsamic vinaigrette, tortelli stuffed with pear and pecorino, with leek and paprika sauce, pici with sausage and kale, and lamb slow-cooked with artichokes. We stronly believe that your restaurant experience should be unique and satisfying on every front. We look forward to welcoming you one day to L'Osteria di Giovanni.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had dinner there on Sunday night and were very impressed.
We had read about the restaurant on the Internet and booked a table on Sunday lunchtime.
Although they said they were busy they fitted us in for an early table.
Great welcome by the staff including a glass of Asti Spumante and some bread.
Good service by Franco and excellent food and wine. Finished with a glass of grappa.
Not surprised how popular it is given customer service is so good

CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Wonderful! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and we were delighted to be able to squeeze you in! We really make every effort to make room for everybody!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,140)

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We found the restaurant by trip advisor. And we didn't regret. Perfect food, friendly service. Good prices. The only problem was the lack of ventilation and the narrow space full with people. Otherwise the suckling pig was so tasty that it is a pity that I had no time to go again.

CaterinaLatini, Owner at L'Osteria di Giovanni, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Space is an essential utility that we are severally lacking in Florence ;-) Not much of it about! Delighted that you enjoyed it - and there is plenty more suckling pig for your next visit.

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Let me first say that the "average" review was due mainly to an appallingly bad steak that I was served and not the rest of the meal. The steak was totally tasteless and tough. The waiter and manager could not have been more apologetic. I refused another steak as my wife had virtually finished her meal but they insisted I had something and brought a most delicious piece of slow cooked pork... I wished I had ordered that in the first place! Although we declined dessert they insisted we share a hot lemon drizzle with ice cream free of charge... It was fantastic. When the bill came they did not charge for my main course and were so apologetic again about the steak. So the experience was not what you would want but they handled the issue exceedingly well. Hard to believe though that they could of let a piece of meat so poor leave their kitchen. The atmosphere was good and there were a lot of people dining. I am sure that another visit would be a better experience but we had better the next night at Vecchio Viccolo.

It happens. Sometimes it happens. We would love to be perfect, but we know we are not, and when things go very occasionally wrong, of course we flip triple back somersaults to make it right. What we have to say to you is - thank you for saying so there and then, "There and then" we can do something about it. If you don't tell us we can't. And we much appreciate the opportunity to flip triple back somersaults!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

When your vacation comes to a close, you just want to save the best meal for last. Giovanni was that meal and more. The De Vito-ish-statured owner was very welcoming and proud as he lead us to a simply decorated but warmly lit restaurant. We were seated in the back....which appeared like the intimate part of his house with book shelves and a 8 x 11-ish nondescript painting of himself. A smiling De Niro-ish waiter took over and in less than a couple of minutes, we already had food on the table!

An introductory plate of their delicious gnocco fritto was so tasty we had to request for a second plate. No problem. We got it right away. Our first course of pici with sausage and kale ragout was just outstanding, I swore I could eat this dish again and again. Our waiter's wine suggestion paired perfectly! We were almost full but we had to save some room for the second course. The braised rabbit with vernaccia wine and green olives brought back memories of grandma's delicious cooking. The veal ossobucco summed up what I came here for....a dish that I could take my time and enjoy every strip of its fork-tender meat and buttery tasty marrow. Our ice cream desserts with their delicious cookies topped it all.

Wow, what a memorable meal and among the best we had in Italy. It covered every need our taste receptors would have wanted and more. I already missed the food.

2  Thank ebbtide123

So much detail! We love it - and we agree with you on every point. You didn't miss a trick. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Where do I start? We had no reservation so I had anticipated waiting or being turned away, but we were given free champagne which I don't normally drink - (but it was superb so I couldn't resist) and asked to wait.

We were seated no more than 10 mins after, served more drinks and given fried bread for free (again something I'd not normally eat but far out it was so damn moorish!).

Hubby n I ordered 2 mains n a side plus hubby had an entree. But they bought we out a small soup for entree for me anyway!! It was delicious. Mains and veggies were lovely - could not fault them. Plus they served free water n extra wine it just kept coming!!

But the BEST part was the irresistible almond biscotti again FREE. If I'd not eaten all the other meals I'd have eaten the whole plate of biscotti! It was honestly the perfect balance of chewy and crunch. It was by far the best meal I've had in Italy.

The waiter we had I think was the owners son and even with a full restaurant he was totally switched on, efficient and humorous.

It is such great value, in Australia you'd pay double for what we had. This is a must on your Florence to do list! And just to be on the safe side, reserve a table.

1  Thank RGParker2013

We loved reading this. It made us, and our team chuckle! The owner has two daughters, so that's a mystery though. Delighted that you enjoyed it so much and thank you for saying so here.