“Michelin Rated place with local flavor”
Review of Del Fagioli

Del Fagioli
Ranked #108 of 2,703 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
“Michelin Rated place with local flavor”
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

We picked the place as it was recently rated as Michelin Bib Gourmand in 2014. We went there for lunch, no pre-booking. Some locals (Italian speaking) built the trust further. Although they had Italian only menu, the staff is helpful and with a "succulent" English explained all the food. The menu card includes traditional fiorentina food, soups ( with bread soaked in) steak and tribe all well. The place itself is well run and prepared to take educated tourists as well. Proper food, (no tourist pizza!) good service, reasonable price in Florance. Do not expect miracle: a lot of pre-cooked local food, steaks are good, probably a good
real taste of Florance and surroundings.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
“Unexciting menu and food”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

So So. I think the draw is that Del Fagioli offers very traditional fare and environment. Basically it's meat and pasta. Very basic; don't look for innovation. Literally, I ordered the special stuffed meatballs, and received pretty underwhelming, somewhat dry meatballs and potatoes. I'm still waiting to taste whatever was stuffed inside. The ambiance is masculine asthetic, the biggest draw is interesting art on the wall in the front room. Service was friendly enough but we would have done much better at a more contemporary restaurant. Considering that they only accept cash, there are 100 other places I would try first before returning. We had children and grandparents with us.

1 Thank brainman64
Hong Kong, China
“Amazing steak and great pasta”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

It's a bit of a toss up between which florentine steak we liked more, the one at Fagioli or Sostanza (see my other review). I would say that they were both absolutely delicious, but if you want a roomier restaurant with better decor/ambience, then go for Fagioli. The service is a bit slow as the restaurant is very busy, but the waiters were nice when they finally make their way to your table and I thought it was worth the wait as everything was absolutely delicious (we also ordered the pasta which had great sauce and was perfectly cooked). Definitely don't miss the steak here. Only warning is that this place only takes cash!!

• Visited October 2013
“Cold service”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

For a start, the servers glared at you when you entered the restaurant, as if daring you to enter to add more work for them.

Recommendations by the server was unimpressive. Nothing that you can't get at touristy spots. Not worth the trip.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great meal, great service”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Writing this on the last day of our Italy trip, and it will be the first of many reviews of places we ate and stayed during our 2-week trip. We ate last night at Del Fagioli and it was a fantastic meal and experience. We showed up 25 minutes late for our reservation because we could not catch a cab, I guess because of a big Fashion Week event.

We -- wife, 2 kids aged 12 and 9 -- expected our table to have been given away, but we were seated right away. It did take a few minutes to get a menu, but the waiters were already heavily into serving others, and I was just happy to have a seat.

From that point forward it was a tremendous meal. We had the sopprasetta and pecorino and bread salad to start. Both were excellent. My daughter, a fairly picky eater, got the tortelli with ricotta and lemon. The owner, I believe, waited on us primarily, and figured she might prefer a "smooth" sauce, so he asked if we wanted the "pomodoro presada (sp?)," which was definitely what she would prefer. My wife, son, and ordered the Bistecca, with fresh white beans and green beans.

Everything was fantastic. The steak lived up to its reputation. Seared perfectly with a nice strip of rare red through the middle. It probably was the best steak I've ever had and we did not finish it, which was a serious shame. My daughter really enjoyed her pasta dish, which I tasted and it was indeed very good. The fresh white beans, drizzled with olive oil, were perfect, and the green beans -- large beans cut and stewed with tomatoes -- were also super flavorful. Both complimented the meat very well.

For desert, my wife and I had some vin santo and the ricotta cake with pear and chocolate -- again, another winner.

Going in, I was a bit skeptical, given some very recent mediocre reviews. In no way was Del Fagioli a tourist trap -- in the front room at least, we were the only nonlocals. We were seated at a long table and I talked with two gentleman who were seated as part of a group of 5 at the other end of the table. They teach architecture at a university in Florence and spoke English fairly well. One of the men asked how I heard of the restaurant, because it is primarily for locals, although he clearly was not aware of the reputation it's gained online. They were very nice and the conversation really added to the meal.

Overall, this was a great meal, equal to or slightly better than the one other that really sticks out from our trip, at Osteria del' grappolo d'oro in Rome.