“perfect dinner”

Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
amsterdam
“perfect dinner”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a reservation in wine bistro at the Piiti palace , but wher to late (25 minutes) unfortunallly they gave our table to others so we where lost in the overcrowded tourist mass of Florence .
Lucky I got my list of good restaurants and we decide to try the nearby restaurant Il santo Bevitore , so we
came here without reservation at 2025u. The restaurant was full but we where lucky and could wait for a table who seemed to not being showing up ..10 minutes later they free the table .
The food was perfect and the ambiance to .
I had the burrata , a typical Florence soup , with came and didn't seemed like a soup but was excellent
We had dinner in Florence in a michelin star restaurant the next day , and we all feld this restaurant was better , better value and excellent service .
Our sons also loved the food and the good wine ..

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank KateAmsterdam

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Service, ambiance, food, wine all amazing. Make a reservation well I advance unless you want to be one of the many people who my husband and I watched get turned away at the door.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Molly K
Cambridge, MA
“Ridiculous. Reconsider your dining plans...”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've just come 'home' from dinner at Il Santo Bevitore, and can only tell you my experience.

I'd studied ahead and had really anticipated this meal. As one of only five dinners in Florence, I thought I'd chosen restaurants carefully, particularly based on the TA reviews.

What a complete disappointment this dinner was.

I'd reserved two days in advance and yes, my table was ready. Bread and water came quickly, as did my first course.

My main dish, however, took an additional 45 minutes. Yes, 45 minutes. I'd ordered agnello/lamb with artichokes and mint. Waited and waited and waited... Nothing. The server eventually came by and offered to pour more wine, then apologized and said it would be another 5 minutes.

5 minutes ended up being 15, and what arrived was a plate of two lamb sausages covered with artichoke slices. One of the sausages was fine, the other was completely raw. I'm not prone to exaggerate, either. After all the waiting, that's what arrived on the plate. Disappointing, to say the least.

I left the casings and raw lamb on the plate, but the server seemed to take no notice. No dessert or coffee for me - I was ready to leave. And while the server 'offered' me a digestive (again, no apology...) I just wanted to leave.

The bill came: 62.50 euro for a bowl of ribolita, the 'lamb' dish, and a half bottle of wine. Absolutely ridiculous.

I tend to be a generous reviewer and like to support hotels/restaurants that offer great value, food, or service. Il Santo Bevitore was not that for me. They seem to be a victim of their own success, and I suggest you dine elsewhere in Florence.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank MAWander
Boston, Massachusetts
“Did not disappoint!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had high expectations b/c it is a favorite of the hosts of our B&B. Excellent service, our servers were friendly, engaging, knowledgable. Food was delicious, nice variety of Tuscan fare. Menu had some very affordable options and some more expensive items. Wine list was very good, and our server was able to direct us to some excellent options. Some of the tables were perfect for a romantic evening, others great for larger groups or families. Perfect for a nice relaxed dinner out.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank ALDCBA
“Don't believe the hype”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Upon our arrival in Florence we searched Google Maps for a place to dine near our rental apartment. The only restaurant within walking distance was Il Santo Bevitore.

As we left the apartment we noticed a trattoria across from us that wasn't listed. But we kept walking to the google maps, zagat and tripadvisor recommended restaurant.

We arrived at 7:30pm on a Friday and were turned away. Too busy. Asked if I could make reservations for Saturday and was told they could get me in at 10pm. Too late for me so we found a time at 8:30pm on Sunday. We went to the place we passed, Trattoria Angiolino, they were booked but squeezed us in and the food, atmosphere and service were tremendous.

Back to Il Santo Bevitore. Sunday has come and we were blessed with a table. We were sat next to two couples that stared at my husband and I all night. So sad that they were fellow Americans that couldn't leave their prejudice for black people behind them. Maybe if they weren't staring at us they would gave noticed that the food was mediocre and pretentious, over priced, the swordfish was rare :( ; and the service was SLOW! I realize they were packed, but it took an hour to be served between the antipasti & the first course.

The antipasti (meat & cheese) and wine were good. But the the risotto was not. The texture was as if they stirred the dry rice from the bag in the broth for 5 minutes and then served it. Is risotto suppose to be crunchy? Seriously, the risotto we had in France was a 10 compared to what I was served in Florence.

My husband ordered the lamb, which was a sausage link the size of 2 Jimmy Dean breakfast links. We expected more from a Second Course.

And the swordfish entree was 2 tiny swordfish balls that were so under cooked they almost jumped into the Arno river and swam back to sea.

We won't be visiting this restaurant again during our stay. I'm so glad that we have Trattoria Angiolino. "Our" table is reserved for us for the remainder of our stay in Florence.

2 Thank Yukonpuppy