“Wonderful traditional fare”

Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I first ate at La Posta in 2002, and I return every chance I get. In the intervening years, I have recommended it to every person I know who has traveled to Florence. My most recent experience was in September 2013. The food remains wonderful. The menu is very traditional -- there are no departures from traditional Tuscan and Florentine cuisine, and no inventive spins on traditional dishes. But they are masters at what they do. Their gnocchi in tomato and basil sauce is the standard by which I judge all gnocchi -- they make it as it is supposed to be made. Their fried squash blossoms, which are not stuffed, should be a staple of everyone's diet. Service is friendly and unobtrusive, and everyone speaks English. It's also nice that La Posta is just off the beaten path -- a quiet street a block below the Piazza della Republica.

1  Thank Kevin D

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Excellent varied choice of traditional Tuscan dishes. Cooked and presented to a high quality.

Booking a table was very easy, we were made to feel very welcome and were not rushed.

Highly recomended

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We've been here twice now, once in 2008 and once this very evening. Everything was delicious and the waiter was kind and attentive. We had tortellini alla ragu, tagliatelle pomodoro, sea bream, smoked duck with rucola, veal fillet, a bottle of Tuscan red wine, and after it all, a delightfully light fruit tart made with yogurt in a cheesecake style.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food.. The spaghetti with truffles was out of this world. Terrific service. Friendly atmosphere. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Florence

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I recently took a trip to Italy, travelling to Venice, Florence and then Rome. Our trip to La Posta was comfortably the worst meal we ate, with undoubtedly the poorest service and definitely the least value for money.
We were greeted by a rather dour-faced waiter, which to be fair, should have set alarm bells ringing immediately. Alas, we were quite hungry and decided to give the restaurant a go. We were then given our menus by, what looked like another diner (whose appearance was relatively scruffy) and who I later found out to be the owner.
We decided to skip starters on this basis and just go for the mains - a steak for 2, which was advertised at €45 for the kilo of meat. €8 for chips. €8 for a rocket salad. I assumed the salad may come with balsamic vinegar/parmesan or tomato. Unfortunately, when it came out, the chips were poor in quality, the 'salad' looked like it could well have just been emptied from a Tesco carrier bag and I'm quite sure the cow was still mooing. No balsamic. No parmesan. No tomato. JUST rocket. The steak was certainly not the medium rare we asked for either. I pointed this out to the waiter, but he didn't seem particularly bothered. We had a bottle of white wine which was ok, but you would expect that for €30.
After the terrible main, we decided to cut our losses and ask for the bill, which came to €112 and included a 12.5% service charge. This is when we found the bill for the steak was €54, as they had given us 1.2 kilos of steak. When I mentioned to the waiter that this was not as advertised, he just rolled his eyes and went to speak to the owner.
The owner then took me aside and told me that I had misunderstood the menu, which I think actually had a quite poor translation to English, as he said the weight was PER kilo. Even if this had been the case, if a steak is 20% more expensive than advertised I said I'd like to know.
The owner would not back down and so I asked for the service charge to be removed as a compromise, as I didn't really feel I had received any 'service.' He simply said he couldn't, and after a few minutes discussing it, he asked me to come and discuss with the chef in the kitchen. At this point, I thought I might get lynched and as I realised that I'd have as much chance convincing him as I would convincing the Pope to change religion, I duly paid and left.
I urge you to not make the same mistake that I, and clearly others have made. There were far better places, with service worth paying for and much better value all over Florence.

1  Thank DaveF1207