“Stay away on a busy night!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cestello

Cestello
Ranked #601 of 2,660 Restaurants in Florence
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
London, United Kingdom
“Stay away on a busy night!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by our Hotel (The Golden Towers) we went there on a Wednesday evening & following a rather confusing explination of the menu (only in Italian) we ordered our meal...It was superb & the service was excellent...The price was very very expensive..we had starters & a main course(not overly expensive choice..ravioli & tuna) a bottle of red wine (£55.00) No desserts or coffees etc..It was apx £180.00...but the food was superb....
We decided to visit there for my husbands birthday on the Saturday night...What a HUGE mistake...
What a different story.... We were very quickly seated outside (with all the smokers) No menu explination..,No complimentary glass of wine, no bread...We ordered the same starters (scallops) my main course was unavailable (tuna)..I said I would think about it & the waiter said he would ask for the chefs suggestions (for not strong fish) our starters came in a second..still no wine arrived or bread..starter was awful..cold & tasteless..then before we knew it our main course had arrived...even though I hadnt ordered mine..They managed to find three minute bits of Tuna & had cremated them them onto lumpy cold mash!!! no beautiful sesame dressing..no covering of nuts...just cremated fish..My husbands scampi arrived & he said it was nice...
We did obviously ask to see a manager..He openly admitted that they were very short of staff & just couldnt cope!!!!!!!!!
We were brought a free dessert (for my husbands birthday) & free brandy..both which we refused..
We were given a bottle of wine the same as we had ordered...£55.00 pounds on the menu...£13.00 on the Internet!!) as a gesture....
Our total bill was once again in the region of £180.00...Not a penny reduction for such poor service & DISGRACEFUL FOOD...
Beware...There are no prices on the main fish options..My husbands scampi came to over £60.00...They recommend dishes, but do not tell you the price...
I would say once again........NEVER EVER use this restaurant at any busy times....They just cannot cope & have zero customer service understanding........

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Patricia M

• Greek first
Calgary, Canada
“Great presentation but disappointing taste”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We stumbled upon this restaurant one evening after we had eaten so just stopped in for a glass of wine. We watched the plates pass us and were truly Impressed by the presentAtion of the dishes. The chef was a true artist so we made a reservation to return for dinner. All six of us were really looking forward to the evening. We got dressed up and planned to make this our big night out in Italy. In the end, we were so disappointed in the actual taste of the food. It didn't live up to the beauty of the plates. In our 3 week stay in Italy, this was the most expensive meal we had and also the most disappointing.

Montville, New Jersey
“One of the best meals we've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Outstanding fresh seafood. We had jumbo Siclian prawns with a hearty pasta in a tomato sauce - fantastic. The five of us split a whole John Dory fish that was prepared table side - again, great. Also had oysters & grilled calamari.

The restaurant manager and wait staff were all very attentive and helped us

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Tom_B_NJ
Laguna Beach, California
“Seafood but they need proper utensils”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

When more than 90% of your customers are English speaking and the prices are OVER the top I think there should be an English translation and proper utensils to eat the food. We had the tuna carpaccio, the Sicilan shrimp, the tortelli with bartoga and the risotto with baby octopus, had I been able to read the rest of the menu I might have ordered differently or at least known that watermelon, which I am allergic to was going to be present on my tuna! The table next to us ordered the primo shrimp which were size wise somewhere between a shrimp and a lobster and they could hardly eat its the utensils were a regular sized fork and no nut cracker to crack the very hard shell. The guy was breaking the shells with his teeth!! The hotel suggested this place but not sure we would put it on the return list. It's probably a 3.5 star.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“Incredible food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We came here in August after being recommended to go by the hotel, The Golden door and spa. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the decor beautiful and the menu delicious.
It was so very good that I came back by myself two days later to enjoy a meal at the bar, which was readily accommodated by the staff.
The highlight of the evening were the red Sicilian shrimp - something I had never tasted before, and will dream about!
We had crudo and followed the incredible selection by langoustines served in a Catalan manner.
The fish and shellfish selection are displayed beautifully inside the restaurant, which indicates the freshness of the food.
The music is great too, not too loud, but perfectly set up as background mood music.

Loved the place!