“Recommend this restaurant.”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Duomo
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Trip advisor was right. The restaurant was full at lunch time and the atmosphere alive. The staff were pleasant and patient although very busy. Food was excellent and not expensive. Recommend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Osteria Il Buongustai

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was seated on an uncomfortable stool that kept tipping because it was oddly built. The item I ordered was pumpkin ravioli. There was no mention of cream sauce or cheese on top (I cannot eat dairy without taking lactase enzyme tablets). So, I had to scrape off as much of this sauce as possible. The pumpkin tasted mildly bitter - as if it were not fully cooked. The ravioli was delicious and homemade. You can see the people working in the kitchen which reminded me of the way my grandparents used to cook, so that was cool.

It's kind of funny I am the only American review saying it was average...I wonder who is more accurate - the Italians or the Americans? Well, honestly - I think it might vary by the dish you order and by person's taste... I agree with the Italians that it was quite small in here and not that comfortable - but I have been in smaller places in Florence and Rome.

I did appreciate the very fast, friendly service and extremely reasonable prices. The other customers kept telling me "whatever you get is great - they'll take care of you" so obviously people like this place... I probably just got the wrong thing & it wasn't described right on the menu.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was by far the best place i found in Florence for a very low price.
Was strolling around near Piaza della Signoria, and on a side street i saw this place.
Me and my friend entered and we found the place pretty small, but very nice decorated and a cosy feeling to it.
The ladies who works there are all very kind, and the service is fast. We had some delicious pasta, for a cheep price as well.
I reccomend this place to those who want a nice meal for cheap money!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This place was in our first day agenda as some good reviews som Trip advisor.
It was small therefore easy to miss it. But it was really closed to us.
The service was good because of warm and inviting atmosphere.
The friendly and attentive staffs were a good value for this place.
As we had no idea of what to choose from the menu. Our waiter recommended us the Crostini Toscanini and melanzane... The food was tasty and elegant. And it was not pricey at all too. Nice to us.
I so recommend.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've read good reviews here on Tripadvisor, so this restaurant was in my list. We tried to dinner here the first night in Firenze, was closed. Tried again one day at lunch, but the queue was big we gave up. On our last night as it was still early had few people, we were lucky to get a table.
The best meal we had in Italy ..... that's all I have to say!

1  Thank AnnLisbon