“The best hostel in the world”
Review of Academy Hostel

Academy Hostel
Ranked #24 of 305 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Melbourne, Australia
“The best hostel in the world”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have travelled to lots of places, from South America, to Oceania, South Asia, Pacific Island and Europe, and I just wanna say one thing, this hostel is THE BEST!!!!
Rooms are clean, cool and super cosy. Staff is very helpful, just loved loved loved this place ;)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed here for two nights whilst travelling italy and i was so impressed with the hostel. The rooms were spotless and you had a screen beside your bed to give you privacy but still able to socialise. The bathroom was clean and dinner and wine was served every night, along with the recipe (food was delicious) we also got breakfast in the morning. Staff were extremely helpful and recommended good restaurants to us and the location was central and right next to the Duomo. Would definatley go back!

Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My required payment on arrival was less than my prebooking bill by 15 euros. hallway is clean enougj for me to walk around barefoot and not get my feet dirty. Shower is clean and has shiny orange tile. My experience is that it is not noisy at all. wifi works in rooms....I'm typing this from my room. computers working and available in lobby. you can see the duomo from the door. snack pasta and wine in evening. basic breakfast muncjoes in morning. electronic key access at several points. locks on big lockers. I will be staying here next time I come to Florence. stayed in a dorm room. solo traveler.

• Stayed August 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I believe that this hostel has been voted the best hostel in Italy by some website. No surprise why – perfect location (to more more in the center you would need to sleep in the cathedral). Nice lobby, large dorms but bathrooms very nice. The whole place is extremely clean. On top the staff is extremely friendly and joyful. If you are looking for a hostel in Florence you cannot go wrong with this one .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was surprised how big this hostel was! The common area is great-tons of computers to jump on to get your travel info. I couldn't check in right away but they held my bag while I explored the city. They were very helpful with directions. I especially loved the pasta night we had where I met other travellers. Location is perfect you're literally right beside Le Duomo and only a short walk to the museum where you can see the Statue of David. Public transport and the train station are a short walk away. You're surrounded by restaurants and shopping and they will make good recommendations for you. The facilities were clean but the room was quite cold and felt kind of like a hospital. I did enjoy having a partition between my bed and the next one. Having lockers was a plus but waits for the bathroom were sometimes long. Breakfast was above average for what you get at most hostels and definitely filled me up. I highly recommend staying here for the location, friendly service, atmosphere & cleanliness. Thank you for the great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Location
Brilliant. Right near the duomo.I'd say about a 10 minute walk from the main train station. Very easy to find. I have read that some people had some issues trying to find the door but when I booked the room there were very detailed instructions on how to get there. Basically look for a wooden door next to a sports store. There are lots of restaurants near by and also a supermarket just up the street. Accademia is also just up the street so you are within easy reach of the main sites.

Hostel
It's very clean, the staff are courteous and there are a number of facilities. The wifi doesn't work in the rooms so you have to go into the main area in order to use it, which was a bit of a pain. There seems to be enough bathrooms to go around, although there was a couple of times when I had to use another bathroom not my 'allocated one'. Breakfast is basic but there's a variety and typical of Italian breakfast e.g. sweet. So there's a sponge cake, cereal, fruit salad, different biscuits, rice cakes, loads of nutella and pane which seem to have lemon in it so when I put nutella in it, it wasn't the best combination.

Room
I stayed in a single room which was fine. Just big enough. There was air conditioning, but it was linked to the main system so you can't independently turn it on yourself to fit in with when you are in your room. If you are staying in summer, you will need it! Especially as you will want to shut the windows due to the mosquitos! My main gripe with this hostel was the noise. I think I was one floor up from reception so I could hear banging, clanging and all matter of noises. I had to wear ear plugs the whole night to shut the sound out. Particularly foot steps are loud and carry through.

Overall for a hostel it's one of the better ones I've stayed in and I was looking for somewhere cheap so it worked out okay.

Room Tip: Not really sure as I was in a single room so might not be that much available, but I would try to ge...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Portland
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had a really great time at this hostel. It is newly renovated and very well done. The staff are friendly and helpful (called a store I was dying to go to in order to find out their hours before I walked there). The only downfall about this place is they do have lockout, which was not mentioned in any of the info I saw before I booked. It was sprang upon me once I arrived. It was very hot when I was there and there were days when I would be dying of heat exhaustion by the time lock out was over. I'd come crawling back in for a cold shower and some AC time. But it really was one of the better hostels I've stayed in!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo