“Great location, clean but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Academy Hostel

Academy Hostel
Ranked #23 of 297 Specialty Lodging in Florence
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great location, clean but noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Location
Brilliant. Right near the duomo.I'd say about a 10 minute walk from the main train station. Very easy to find. I have read that some people had some issues trying to find the door but when I booked the room there were very detailed instructions on how to get there. Basically look for a wooden door next to a sports store. There are lots of restaurants near by and also a supermarket just up the street. Accademia is also just up the street so you are within easy reach of the main sites.

Hostel
It's very clean, the staff are courteous and there are a number of facilities. The wifi doesn't work in the rooms so you have to go into the main area in order to use it, which was a bit of a pain. There seems to be enough bathrooms to go around, although there was a couple of times when I had to use another bathroom not my 'allocated one'. Breakfast is basic but there's a variety and typical of Italian breakfast e.g. sweet. So there's a sponge cake, cereal, fruit salad, different biscuits, rice cakes, loads of nutella and pane which seem to have lemon in it so when I put nutella in it, it wasn't the best combination.

Room
I stayed in a single room which was fine. Just big enough. There was air conditioning, but it was linked to the main system so you can't independently turn it on yourself to fit in with when you are in your room. If you are staying in summer, you will need it! Especially as you will want to shut the windows due to the mosquitos! My main gripe with this hostel was the noise. I think I was one floor up from reception so I could hear banging, clanging and all matter of noises. I had to wear ear plugs the whole night to shut the sound out. Particularly foot steps are loud and carry through.

Overall for a hostel it's one of the better ones I've stayed in and I was looking for somewhere cheap so it worked out okay.

Room Tip: Not really sure as I was in a single room so might not be that much available, but I would try to ge...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had a really great time at this hostel. It is newly renovated and very well done. The staff are friendly and helpful (called a store I was dying to go to in order to find out their hours before I walked there). The only downfall about this place is they do have lockout, which was not mentioned in any of the info I saw before I booked. It was sprang upon me once I arrived. It was very hot when I was there and there were days when I would be dying of heat exhaustion by the time lock out was over. I'd come crawling back in for a cold shower and some AC time. But it really was one of the better hostels I've stayed in!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Michelle R
MUMBAI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hostel fully lived up to the rave reviews its got on Tripadvisor. Its bang across the Duomo so getting directions wasn't difficult :) The staff was very warm and friendly. They got us the reservations for both the Uffizi gallery and the Galleria dell'academia.

Its also got a great atmosphere and allows you to mix with a bunch of back packers (they've got pasta and sangria on the house on some evenings). The break fast is a bit functional (cereals, juices and coffee) but enough to fuel the first few hours ;)

The Duomo, Santa Croce, Galleria dell'academia and Uffizi Gallery are within a 5 min walking radius. There are also many great restaurants and affordable eateries nearby (near Duomo and Santa Croce mainly) where you'll also find many locals.

Thanks for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed in a twin room with a private bathroom for our 7 nights in Florence. The room was large, clean, with lots of well thought out features. Small things like a luggage holder each, a cupboard/bedside table each. Desk. Stool in the bathroom to put stuff on. Things larger hotels don't consider. The bathroom, whilst done out in strange colours was clean and in good repair - no grotty tiles or anything. Very calm atmosphere. Fantastic location in an old building (with fabulous huge wooden entry doors), walk out the front door and you see the Duomo at the end of the street. This is wonderful at the end of the day when the hordes have left. Great restaurants nearby. Easy walking distance to everything. Laundry facilities available - we spent a few hours, sitting on the sofas, on the (free) wifi while we did our laundry. We were 2 women in our 50's and we felt quite comfortable there. The only problem we did have was that the hot water in the shower was a bit temperamental - despite following the instructions, a couple of time we either had no hot water or the shower went cold during the shower. One other thing to be aware of is the numbering of the buildings when you are trying to find the place. We arrived very late at night and despite the directions on how to get to the Hostel, we fronted up to that number and it was a derelict building. We were then told that the same number was further up the street! (Common, apparently in Italy)

Room Tip: Twin bed room with private bathroom
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great hostel, and the literally perfect location is reason enough to stay here, it is 30m away from the Duomo and walking distance to everything else Florence has to offer. The service was impeccable and check in and out couldnt have been easier. Drinks offered every evening are a lovely touch and a nice way to meet other travellers.
The twin room with a private bathroom was really good. Simple, but clean and very spacious.
A few negatives:
- It was very difficult to find. We arrived on a weekend so the outer door was closed and finding street numbers is difficult in Florence. It's on the left side of the street if you are facing away from the Duomo, but it's further down than we and our iPhone's had thought.
- You have to be out of the hostel from 11-2 while it is being cleaned. This wasn't really a problem, we were always out doing Florence things, but just thought it odd.
- One day when we came back to the hostel after the cleaning our room hadn't been re-locked, there weren't many people in the hostel and luckily nothing was taken but at the time but it was just worrying, considering we'd left valuables including passports in our room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

As hostels go, this is the best of the best. It has a great location, it's spotlessly clean, the service is friendly and thoughtful and it just has lots of fab touches that make it very special. I loved the airconditioned rooms with no bunk beds (heaven!!). As a solo traveller, I really appreciated the get together at 6 every evening - it was great to meet people there and then go out for dinner/drinks after the reception. A lovely touch in a super hostel - I can really recommend this place. It's a little more expensive than other hostels, but well worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Belo Horizonte
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nice room, no bunk-beds! Good breakfast. Wi-fi is not so good, connection failed several times. Very good location, everything is nearby. Considering the services, it's a nice place to stay. But it isn't, definitely, a place to meet people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo